Post Your Axe-Fx III Rigs Here!

I have a Shure GLXD-16 wireless that solves that problem! However, before that I was looping in through the bottom of the amp stand my rack sits in, so if it got tugged it would pull at the bottom, and thus unlikely to pull the rig over. I move around both on and off the stage, and have had people trip over the cable numerous times...was kinda worried it would cause someone to faceplant, thus the wireless.

You have a choice of risk here. If you come to the end of your tether, either...

1) Your cable unplugs and you go silent for a few seconds until you plug it back in; or

2) Your rig topples to the floor, and you potentially go silent for the rest of the gig; or

3) You topple to the floor, potentially break your elbow, and go silent for months.

Which of these things would you rather have happen?

4) The cable rips out of the plug and you have switch to a different cable.
5. The cable snaps and wraps itself around a yield sign, and suddenly you're going 150 mph sideways and 500 ft. down at the same time, landing on a police car, and talking to a guy with a pickle that has a wire running up his sleeve, under his clothes, to a briefcase near his feet.

It is at that moment you realize you don't want a pickle....

5. The cable snaps and wraps itself around a yield sign, and suddenly you're going 150 mph sideways and 500 ft. down at the same time, landing on a police car, and talking to a guy with a pickle that has a wire running up his sleeve, under his clothes, to a briefcase near his feet.

It is at that moment you realize you don't want a pickle....
I think I get it now. Never accept when a stranger offers you a pickle. In fact the whole reason I asked such a question is to avoid a pickle. See what I did there?

Silly / not so silly question:
For those among you who plug in directly to the axe fx with no pedals or wireless unit, how do you prefer to ensure that the cable doesn’t get yanked out during a gig? Do you weave it through the handle? Weave it through the recessed handle of your cab? Both? Or would you rather have the cable get yanked out than tug on the unit and risk a tip over? Am I overthinking this? Absolutely. I just always at least had a tuner, a gate, tube screamer, or some other pedal between myself and the front of an amp.

Updated pic for attention

View attachment 107040
I have the same rig with a different power amp (Fryette). How do you like the Matrix? The one thing I saw is the Matrix doesn’t have any EQ adjustments for presence/resonance?

I have the same rig with a different power amp (Fryette). How do you like the Matrix? The one thing I saw is the Matrix doesn’t have any EQ adjustments for presence/resonance?
Oh man I love that power amp. I prefer to keep everything “in the box” anyway, EQ included. I always put a parametric EQ at the end of my chain. I have a Seymour Duncan power stage 170 that I use for band practice with my FM3. That has EQ on it which I suppose is handy if you’re using an unfamiliar backline cab that may be too dark or too bright. But the global EQ on the front panel of the Axe Fx could serve this purpose just as well. I think the PS 170 is more geared towards those who use pedals and want a power amp on their pedalboard.

Assuming your Fryette is a tube power amp this will color the sound so having some EQ on there makes sense. The philosophy of a solid state power amp such as Matrix is to boost your signal as unchanged as possible, and for this purpose in my opinion it’s hard to top. And it has tons of clean headroom.

The idea when using the Matrix is that it's a clean and flat power amp.

Your EQ and Presence come from the power amp modeling in the Amp block.

The idea when using the Matrix is that it's a clean and flat power amp.

Your EQ and Presence come from the power amp modeling in the Amp block.
The Fryette is the cleanest power tube amp so yes while you’re technically true, I still leave power amp sim on inside the Axe FX III.

Reactions: ESW
The Fryette is the cleanest power tube amp so yes while you’re technically true, I still leave power amp sim on inside the Axe FX III.
My reply was regarding your question about EQ/Presence adjustments in the power amp.

The point being that any adjustments should really come from the modeling when using a flat power amp such as a Matrix.

This is my live rig for my band Floyd Nation (floydnation.live), a US-based Pink Floyd tribute.

It's a super flexible rig! I use two I/O loops in the AxeFX, one for the external pedalboard and the other for the Mesa Amp.
Using the FC-12, I can toggle each loop on the fly to switch between internal/external pedals and the external amp OR the Amp Block which is pretty much dead-nuts cloned to my Mesa Heartbreaker. The Multiplexer allows easy switching between the internal/external signal paths.

The external pedals are connected to a Midi-controllable pedal patchbay so I can enable specific pedals with Preset/Scene changes via the MIDI Block.

The external-amp return, via a Mesa load box, and the internal Amp Block each feed a common Cab Block feeding time-based FX and then on to FOH.
Output 2 feeds the two Headrush 108s for on-stage volume, feedback etc.

View attachment 107046View attachment 107047
How do the headrush cabs do for ya?

Last edited:
How do the headrest cabs do for ya?
I think they're great. I wanted to try the MF10s but honestly couldn't justify the over $2k price tag for my needs.

I had the Headrush 112 but they were too boomy. The 108s are perfect and paired with my Mess 2x12 loud as hell.

Pretty sure I've posted previous iterations of this since I've been a Fractalite since ~2012 (I believe), but here's the current incarnation, home studio only version. I let friends come in and record from time to time, but purely a hobby venture at this point.

It's about to change again though, since I just picked up two more Focusrite Saffire Pro 40's. One will go in this rig to expand the in's/out's, and the other is simply a backup. I've had far better luck with FireWire than I ever had with USB, so I tend to stick with what's worked for me historically until I'm forced to change. Hell, I just completely rebuilt my studio PC rig around these units.

I use a separate laptop for AxeEdit and the like.

Attachments

• JSS.Studio.Rig.v7.0.jpg
    JSS.Studio.Rig.v7.0.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 182
Silly / not so silly question:
For those among you who plug in directly to the axe fx with no pedals or wireless unit, how do you prefer to ensure that the cable doesn’t get yanked out during a gig? Do you weave it through the handle? Weave it through the recessed handle of your cab? Both? Or would you rather have the cable get yanked out than tug on the unit and risk a tip over? Am I overthinking this? Absolutely. I just always at least had a tuner, a gate, tube screamer, or some other pedal between myself and the front of an amp.

Updated pic for attention

View attachment 107040
I've toured a bit, and i got to say I've experienced alot of weird shit happen during performance. Such as a stage monitor falling of a sub and hit my pedalboard and such. Haha. The most important takeaway, imo, is to prepare for several scenarios. So that when problems occurs i can fix it.

For this kind of issue, i am thinking you either need to wind the cable around the handle of the case/cab, go wireless, have a spare cable or simply mark the jack with a glow in the dark tape (so you can find it if lost on dark stages)

But, knock on wood, I've never had this beeing problematic. I'd rather bring 2 x 10 meter long Jacks than risking my gear or sound.

That beeing said. I plan to use my pedalboard to shunt the guitar cable in the near future. I've found that wireless is not always reliable.

I've toured a bit, and i got to say I've experienced alot of weird shit happen during performance. Such as a stage monitor falling of a sub and hit my pedalboard and such. Haha. The most important takeaway, imo, is to prepare for several scenarios. So that when problems occurs i can fix it.

For this kind of issue, i am thinking you either need to wind the cable around the handle of the case/cab, go wireless, have a spare cable or simply mark the jack with a glow in the dark tape (so you can find it if lost on dark stages)

But, knock on wood, I've never had this beeing problematic. I'd rather bring 2 x 10 meter long Jacks than risking my gear or sound.

That beeing said. I plan to use my pedalboard to shunt the guitar cable in the near future. I've found that wireless is not always reliable.
Thanks for your input. I think I’ve decided I’m just gonna leave my rack on the floor, and wrap the cable through the handle. Sometimes I’ll be using FRFR and sometimes I’ll be using 4x12 cabs, but in either case I’ll leave the Axe on the floor, even though that’s kind of lame. I don’t plan on needing to use the front panel much after levels are set, and it’s been a long time since I used a wireless and I always had mixed results with them.

Back
Top Bottom