Possible Win 64 bit & Firmware issues

onebaldbloke

Inspired
I've been communicating with Marty regarding my frozen Ultra.
It seems that there may be issues with XP/Vista 64 bit systems & the firmware updating.

I'm going to install XP 32 bit on one of my Laptops for the next firmware update.

I've updated the last half dozen times or so from Vista 64 without issues. With 8.02, I'm getting a bad checksum no matter what.

I don't have a spare laptop, so I'm stuck with the computer and process that has worked for this purpose for several consecutive updates. Why is there a problem now? It would be nice to have an official statement about this.

There just isn't enough data to make a statement.

Bad Checksum is not necessarily related. Bad Checksum means that the data was corrupted. This could be due to any number of things: a bad MIDI cable, bad drivers, bad MIDI interface, OS problems, etc., etc. Try a different MIDI interface, try a different computer, change cables, etc.

This is getting a bit weird, so I'm replying via e-mail and on the forum using exactly the same wording.

I've installed every firmware update (several dozen of them, which I'm very grateful for) from 6.03 to the 7.17 using the same software (MIDI-OX), same cables, same computer, same settings (as specified in your Firmware.txt document) and same interface (M-Audio Firewire 410). All have installed without any problems whatsoever. About a half dozen updates ago, I switched from Windows XP to Windows Vista 64. This did not introduce any problems for any of those updates.

I've verified that none of the parts of my system have failed. The computer, interface, cables, etc. are all fine. What methodology or logic would I use in randomly changing out proven components of a system that's worked for several dozen firmware updates?

My understanding of onebaldbloke's forum post is that Marty (Fractal Audio support?) told him that there is a problem with using 64 bit Windows operating systems to update firmware. Am I misinterpreting? If not, what exactly is the problem, and how does it manifest itself? Is that problem specific to the new 8.02 firmware?

Thanks,

Pete

ElectricPhase said:
My understanding of onebaldbloke's forum post is that Marty (Fractal Audio support?) told him that there is a problem with using 64 bit Windows operating systems to update firmware. Am I misinterpreting? If not, what exactly is the problem, and how does it manifest itself? Is that problem specific to the new 8.02 firmware?
Thanks,
Pete

Hi Peter.
To be fair - Marty (Fractal Support) said there MAY be issues with 64 bit. My last update with 64 bit (7.18) worked fine, but only after many failed attempts.
The successful attempt took place with the same PC, cables, MIDI app, hardware, drivers etc etc etc that had previously both worked & failed, hence my repeated & optimistic attempts with 8.02, which, unfortunately, resulted in a frozen Axe.

Marty is sending out a new EPROM & has very graciously accepted my rather curt (I was upset!) email.

In all honesty, I just haven't a clue as to what's going on, & I'm not a newbie to zeroes & ones, but Marty has been very good in my dealings with him.

Using vista 64 bit here. No problems. The axe-fx does not give a rats poop what OS you are using. It just receives MIDI data.

Firmware up dating can be tricky on the Axe-fx. I have had things that worked on one firmware not work on the next. Nothing changed but the firmware.

I have had to use a combination of Midi-ox, send-sx, Lar's editor, and the new Editor. One of those usually works. for example, up to 8.01 I was using the new editor. I had done many updates w/o issue. On 8.01 that stopped working and Lar's old editor worked great.

Just a quick update: this morning, I tried one more time (same settings and equipment) and the update worked. The only event that could have changed the outcome was that I logged off of the computer yesterday evening and back on this morning. I'm a programmer and I built my computer, so I literally know it inside and out. I overreacted a bit to an unexpected situation. Thanks for the help, and sorry about the drama. :oops:

javajunkie said:
Using vista 64 bit here. No problems. The axe-fx does not give a rats poop what OS you are using. It just receives MIDI data.

Firmware up dating can be tricky on the Axe-fx. I have had things that worked on one firmware not work on the next. Nothing changed but the firmware.

I have had to use a combination of Midi-ox, send-sx, Lar's editor, and the new Editor. One of those usually works. for example, up to 8.01 I was using the new editor. I had done many updates w/o issue. On 8.01 that stopped working and Lar's old editor worked great.

My experience is *exactly* the same as Java's. I use Vista 64 and a cheap E-MU X-Midi 1x1 midi adapter. I tried multiple times to upload 8.01 using AXE-EDIT, and it failed each time. I used Lars' editor, and it worked. There's nothing specifically Win 64-related going one here, just general MIDI issue.

Hmmm.........
I don't know what to make of this!

My last series of failed attempts ultimately resulted in a frozen Axe, & I can not afford the time waiting for a new EPROM without my Axe, as it has become the hub of my live work.
So now I'm wary of repeated failed attempts, just in case it freezes again.

I'm doing seminars & playing at the "club" gig at Australia's biggest Music Expo next weekend, AMAC (NAMM is the US equivalent) & was hoping to use the Axe. Now I probably won't be able to, as I doubt that the new EPROM will be here in time, though I know Marty will be mailing it ASAP.

Rock and a hard place?

Hey Bob,
you can borrow my Ultra for AMAC if you need to.
One of my bandmates will be there in a work capacity and could probably deliver it to you.
What are the dates? - it will all depend on whether AMAC conflicts with my bookings.

I've always used Lars' editor for firmware updates, no exception, never had a problem. I use a Vista 64 laptop.

I don't generally edit patches on an editor, so as long as it works for updates, I don't care. Also works well for backing up banks & uploading or changing user cabs. I spent no more than 5 minutes trying to figure out how to do those simple operations with Axe-Edit, couldn't do it, haven't looked at it since.

When I got the V64 laptop, it wouldn't work with my Midisport 1 x 1, and I had to get a 2 x 2 Anniversary, which worked fine.

Beyond that, no issues.

Back
Top Bottom