Possible 9.01 Bug

marshall2553

Power User
I just updated to 9.01 and was going through my patches. I stopped on one using the Plexi1 model, fairly high gain with the master and tone controls dimed and drive around 5-6. I turned the Bright Switch off and the gain dropped tremendously, it was almost clean. After playing for a minute or two more I heard a weird digital zippering sound and output dropped to almost nothing. What I could hear sounded like it was going through a noise gate with the threshold way up. Flipped to another patch and it didn't get any better. Rebooted and it's OK again. I'm going to see if I can reproduce it or if it was a fluke.

marshall2553 said:
I just updated to 9.01 and was going through my patches. I stopped on one using the Plexi1 model, fairly high gain with the master and tone controls dimed and drive around 5-6. I turned the Bright Switch off and the gain dropped tremendously, it was almost clean. After playing for a minute or two more I heard a weird digital zippering sound and output dropped to almost nothing. What I could hear sounded like it was going through a noise gate with the threshold way up. Flipped to another patch and it didn't get any better. Rebooted and it's OK again. I'm going to see if I can reproduce it or if it was a fluke.
I had a similar bug
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13689

I had the same thing happen on mine with turning the bright switch on/off on the Bassman model on one patch, plus a couple of other anomalies. At first I thought it was because I was using Axe-Edit. But it happened again when I was using the front panel.

In addition to this, when I hold down the bypass button to reset the amp block, I get a tap tap tap sound coming out of my FRFR monitors. Never had that happen before. Doesn't happen when resetting any other block but amp so far.

Then I got a strange hissing sound while in any of my patches using the Bassman amp model. Not like pickup noise--different than that. The hiss only came when I was strumming. It stopped when I quit playing. When I switched to a different amp sim, it went away. Turned off the Axe-FX and back on, and it was gone. At least that hasn't happened again yet.

Mott said:
I had the same thing happen on mine with turning the bright switch on/off on the Bassman model on one patch, plus a couple of other anomalies. At first I thought it was because I was using Axe-Edit. But it happened again when I was using the front panel.

In addition to this, when I hold down the bypass button to reset the amp block, I get a tap tap tap sound coming out of my FRFR monitors. Never had that happen before. Doesn't happen when resetting any other block but amp so far.

Then I got a strange hissing sound while in any of my patches using the Bassman amp model. Not like pickup noise--different than that. The hiss only came when I was strumming. It stopped when I quit playing. When I switched to a different amp sim, it went away. Turned off the Axe-FX and back on, and it was gone. At least that hasn't happened again yet.

Good to know I'm not alone. I haven't had it happen again despite trying to replicate it.

There's a problem with the Drive filter. It becomes unstable under certain conditions. I've fixed it and will have new firmware tomorrow.

FractalAudio said:
There's a problem with the Drive filter. It becomes unstable under certain conditions. I've fixed it and will have new firmware tomorrow.
Cliff you rock!

I think it only affects the Plexi1 model when the bright cap is off. There was a wrong value for one of the capacitors.

I had a similar thing happen today. Had loaded 9.01 and was trying stuff out then the sound started dying away as described in the OP. I tried changing patches on the Axe but no joy until I turned it off and on again.
Certainly wouldn't want that to happen in the middle of a gig!

Thanks for getting on top of it so quickly Cliff.

I think I have the same bug, though I am not sure.
On a preset I made myself, with 2 chains (a 2 amp setup), the second signal chain (which contains a plexi amp) cuts out after about 5 seconds.
The Axe sometimes reboots itself for no reason using this preset

I should note that all is fine using 9.0
I've attached the preset. It uses 2 custom IRS so may sound odd, but if you load it and play hopefully you can replicate the bug. 2nd Chain has lots of reverb and you should hear that suddenly die after 5-10 seconds.

It's a real shame, because the update has improved the sound (from the 5 seconds I can hear) Was looking forward to playing with it some.

Attachments

• prblem_9.01.syx
    2 KB · Views: 2
Yep, I experienced the same. First "white" noise coming up. Then, while editing the Reverb block (that may be a coincedence), a whole lotta digital distortion. Then I switched presets and there's was no signal at all anymore. Switched the Axe off and on, and all is back to normal.

P.S. It wasn't the Plexi!

FractalAudio said:
I think it only affects the Plexi1 model when the bright cap is off. There was a wrong value for one of the capacitors.
Please say it won't change the tone. It sounded soooo good before it flaked out. :) I know this update mainly focused on the Fender models but man the Marshall's sound amazing.

Ok, I installed 9.02 and haven't seen the bug again in what little time I was able spend with it. But... Flipping the Bright switch off in the Plexi1 model still dramatically decreases the gain. Is this normal? I'm talking about it going from full-on saturation with the Bright switch on to almost completely clean with it off.

That's normal with the Plexi 1. Always been like that and is accurate. If you clipped the bright cap out of an old Plexi the volume would drop dramatically.

FractalAudio said:
That's normal with the Plexi 1. Always been like that and is accurate. If you clipped the bright cap out of an old Plexi the volume would drop dramatically.

Thank you, I hadn't played around with that model much until recently and was surprised at how drastic it was. I've said it a few times already but it deserves repeating, man this update sounds great!

Mark Cullen said:
I had a similar thing happen today. Had loaded 9.01 and was trying stuff out then the sound started dying away as described in the OP. I tried changing patches on the Axe but no joy until I turned it off and on again.
Certainly wouldn't want that to happen in the middle of a gig!

Thanks for getting on top of it so quickly Cliff.
That's exactly what happened at the end of last night's gig!!

9.01 ran flawless at thursday's gig. Yesterday, I ran all the songs/patches before packing for the gig. Everything was perfect and was perfect at the gig until all of a sudden I went to a patch and the amp "died" during the intro, forcing me to crank this lifeless sorta clean tone....LOL Thank goodness it was on a Roy Orbison tune.

I brought up another patch and the amp system was dead. Hitting bypass passed a full clean signal so I knew it wasn't the cables & figured something in amp/drive processing had croaked.

I didn't reboot. I just bailed on electric and went to acoustic because it didn't have any amp or drive blocks, and sounded just fine.

As soon as I was done, I killed the mains, dropped amp & cab block into an empty patch and started flippin between amps. As I did this, the amp "math" progressively "woke back up" again and it was working.

Just an FYI of my experience.
BTW this happened on the brownface, ac30, and once it kicked in, all amps were "dead".

Yep - Happened to me yesterday too on 9.01. I was using the Brownface, and a number of other amps in the Axe-FX. It affected each one I tried. The sound just 'died' and all I got was this crackling sound. Switching the unit off for a few seconds fixed it briefly, but it just seemed to happen again after 20 mins.

I'll load 9.02 tonight and hope it fixes it.

TimmyM

Back
Top Bottom