Port City possibly getting into to FRFR game

I want something no bigger than a Mesa 1x12 thiele cab. The smaller the cab and tighter packed the better. Not everyone lives in a city where car is viable and carrying an amp/cab can be near impossible

For me I want my frfr to function as a backline just like a 4x12 would

All good points mentioned but I would add that if a mic cable is plugged into the out, that phantom power won't kill the signal if possible

I like the idea of a dsp switch to go from flat to cab knock

Thinking out of the box,
Maybe have the mic out cable on the front where the mic usually is to not confuse the sound crew. (With a sticker that says internal mic, lol)

Make it look like its actually a guitar cab. No wimpy monitor looking stuff.
Monitors look wimpy?
They have hard duratex finish and metal grills?
Guitar cabs have basket weave grills and are covered in Rob Halford's pleather pants.

I think wimpy is the wrong term for what you don't like about monitors.

Requirements for a good FRFR:
  • Accurate (flat) response.
  • Ample headroom to complete with a drummer.
  • Not so heavy that it breaks your back.
  • Multiple positioning angles.
  • Don't need to skip a mortgage payment to buy it.

Monitors look wimpy?
They have hard duratex finish and metal grills?
Guitar cabs have basket weave grills and are covered in Rob Halford's pleather pants.

I think wimpy is the wrong term for what you don't like about monitors.

Nah, I pretty much meant exactly wimpy monitors..;):) cause thats what most of them are to me.. not all, sure there are a few that tried to spin off that, but essentially they are wedges marketed to us modeler players for guitar. Just cause somebody stuck a truck bed coating and metal grill on it doesn't change that for me. I get the functionality aspect, I'm not disputing that part of it. Light weight is nice and having angled up at you is nice too. The most accurate FRFR is an obvious must for us. I would hope most builders already get that and don't need to be told :rolleyes:. There are already these in the market to guage things by.

I would just like to see some company come out with a cab that doesn't look like a vocal monitor at a karoake bar. For a play at home noodler or once a month beer buddy jammer it might not matter, in fact probably preferred. But for guys that are on stage every weekend with bigger backlines, I just personally think there is a void in the market for a robust FRFR cab. I am an old school rocker and used to lugging around a real cab. Sure it's heavy and gets beat up, but thats been rock n roll for players the past 40+ years.

These days everyone wants lighter and smaller in the modeling crowd, whatever I get it... I like that too sometimes, just somebody make it look like real freakin guitar cab but smaller if building that :). If that means basket weave grill and Halford tolex, do it. Just imagine.. do you think if you were to stick a Greenback in the best 112 wedge enclosure in the world it would sell to the real tube amp crowd (no matter how great it sounded)? I'm thinking not really. I don't think Mesa Marshall Orange Hiwatt are worried about losing market share to the hard duratex metal grill 112 wedge monitor fans anytime soon. Maybe thats just me tho. :(

Some people just don't think it's a real car unless it has tail fins and a ton of chrome. Performance be damned...it was badass fifty years ago, and it's still badass today. :)

Some people just don't think it's a real car unless it has tail fins and a ton of chrome. Performance be damned...it was badass fifty years ago, and it's still badass today. :)

:( I'm assuming I'm the Some People you are reffering to :) ... I guess you do your cool thing and I'll do mine.... some people might have different ideas of things tho (I'm guessing thats why Port City asked). I use 2 CLR's right now already when I use my axe... By your reasoning Port City might as well surrender to the same type design. Oh, and I never suggested give up performance..:rolleyes: :)

Just imagine.. do you think if you were to stick a Greenback in the best 112 wedge enclosure in the world it would sell to the real tube amp crowd (no matter how great it sounded)? I'm thinking not really. I don't think Mesa Marshall Orange Hiwatt are worried about losing market share to the hard duratex metal grill 112 wedge monitor fans anytime soon. Maybe thats just me tho. :(

Um....Mesa makes a V30 wedge. But generally only sells them to nobodies like John Petrucci.
Saw him using a pair of them. :(

In the end, that's what it's all about. :)

A guitar cab-shaped box on the floor, firing forward and attempting to do FRFR is a performance compromise, if you measure performance by sonic accuracy at the player's ears.
Probably true but for those of us that have had a 4x12 firing at us from a back line for 30 plus years, having a wedge front firing just doesn't work. Plus then it's hard to get out of the monitor mix. Sometimes if the singer is killing me or I just need to hear if I've gone outa tune or forgotten a part it's nice to have a sonic space all your own that you can retreat too.

Probably true but for those of us that have had a 4x12 firing at us from a back line for 30 plus years, having a wedge front firing just doesn't work. Plus then it's hard to get out of the monitor mix. Sometimes if the singer is killing me or I just need to hear if I've gone outa tune or forgotten a part it's nice to have a sonic space all your own that you can retreat too.
Sure, I guess that can be beneficial for some folks (having a speaker behind you, so you can walk back into your own 'zone').
I'm the lead vocalist for my band, so I have no choice. I'm tied to my front wedge when I'm playing guitar/singing.
I used to take out the cab shape CLR and put it behind me (on a road case, at chest level), but I found that I couldn't hear it as well as if I put my guitar in my front wedge.
Now that I'm used to both vocal and guitar out of my front wedge, I find that I don't need anything else.
Everyone once in a while I'll bring a 'backline' speaker to a gig, and quickly realize it was a waste of time/effort. I hear myself perfectly mixed through my front wedge. Vocals and guitar exactly as I want them balanced.

Since going this route, the CLR just sits in my basement....as does my 4x12's, 2x12's and 1x12 traditional cabs.

I would just like to see some company come out with a cab that doesn't look like a vocal monitor at a karoake bar.

Bunch of companies already make FRFR cabs in the guitar-cab form.
Matrix FR12, Q12
Xitone MBritt cab
Mission Gemini 1, 2, Io
Line 6 Firehawk 1500
etc...

If you really want a heavy, loud, big guitar-cab FRFR, go for the Firehawk 1500. It's surely not wimpy by your standards.

Probably true but for those of us that have had a 4x12 firing at us from a back line for 30 plus years, having a wedge front firing just doesn't work.

Why not just put the wedge in the back..?

That's kind of what I do although the ASM isn't a true wedge. The look of having a cab back line is also appealing.

If it was me, I would just aim at exactly the same specs as the CLR – US $999, 33lbs (neodymium) coaxial speakers, 500W with 2 inputs and assuming you can make it as flat and sound as good as the CLR, there should be quite a nice market waiting there.

I absolutely wouldn't worry about trying to doing something for everyone. Even within something as small as the FRFR market, there's still too many options.

Johan captures most of my thoughts. With your better customer service, market penetration and great reputation I'm thinking you'd have a winner, even though it's still a niche market in my opinion. All I can add is that if it's to the sonic standard of your regular cabs, I'm definitely interested.

Port City is now shipping their Wave cabinets with Celestion FX12-200 speakers, for FR purposes.

Since I already own several PC cabs, I ordered just the Celestion FX12-200, to mount in my 1x12. Expecting it this week. Will report. Curious if it will hold up to the quality and user experience of my 1x12 Wave with KTS-70.

Port City is now shipping their Wave cabinets with Celestion FX12-200 speakers, for FR purposes.

Since I already own several PC cabs, I ordered just the Celestion FX12-200, to mount in my 1x12. Expecting it this week. Will report. Curious if it will hold up to the quality and user experience of my 1x12 Wave with KTS-70.

Will be interested to know what you think. I have a PC Wave with a 12" Celestion Gold that I could convert with the FX12-200.

If this is against any of the rules please let me know.

To roll out these cabs we are offering a 10% discount on all FRFR cabs from today until Aug. 9th. Message us for your unique discount code. We don't want you to take our word for it. You will have 7 days to try the FRFR Wave cab for yourself. If you don't think it is the best sounding FRFR cab you have ever heard we will arrange to get the cab back and offer you a full refund. You really must hear how good the FRFR Wave cab sounds for yourself!!! Send us a message or email, get the discount code and prepare to be blown away!

Daniel
Port City Amps

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom