Port City OS2x12 V30 IRs - SM57 - Sean Ashe (37 FREE IRs!)

Sean Ashe

Power User
Hey everyone,

So, I promised everyone I'd take a bunch of IRs of my OS2x12 Port City Cab that is loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s, so...here ya go :)

All IRs were shot using a Shure SM57 going into an Echo AudioFire4 (comparable to the Apogee Duet). I took IRs at varying distances from the grille and cone, which is of course labeled (I'll go over the format later).

I decided to take IRs of every .5 inch away from the cone, because…well, I'm a fan of variety. It's very possible that while one of the .5 marks may be extremely similar, it may be just a bit different for me to prefer it in any given situation. I also took IRs at 0 (on the grille), 1, 2, and 3 inches away from the grille cloth. So, 36 IRs to choose from!

And of course because I know someone would eventually say "You should have taken an IR of the port"… I did :D

So here is how I labeled them:

(Distance From Grille Cloth)PC(Inches From Cone)

So, 2PC3.5 would mean 2 inches from the grille cloth and then 3.5 inches away from the cone.

or

0PC0 would be 0 inches from the grille cloth (right up on it) and then directly on the Cone.

The only exception to this format the Port IR, that is just labeled PCPort

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the IRs, and are able to use them to get some killer tones. Sorry to make you read this whole post, as I'm sure you want to get to tone chasing ;)

- Sean Ashe

P.S. The "README" file in there is pretty much this exact post.

P.P.S for my cab i usually run the 'Low Freq' parameter at 85.3. Obviously use your ears though, that's just where my cab 'sympathizes' with the low frequencies in the real world
Click here for Port City Cab goodness

Last edited:
Sean, many thanks! Question: which IR sounds the closest to your "cab in the room" sound, and what FRFR solution are you using?

Sean, many thanks! Question: which IR sounds the closest to your "cab in the room" sound, and what FRFR solution are you using?

To be perfectly honest, I haven't really fooled with all the IRs that much yet! I'm using KRK Rockit 6 speakers. they're not the best but im extremely used to them. For anything live or whatever, i always use a cab. not a fan of the whole FRFR cab style thing. I setup all my patches to go direct though too, gonna mess with the IRs here in a bit to try and get the same room sound. Will let you know my results :)

Thanks for taking the time for us IR junkies Sean. Muchly appreciated! Will give'm-a-go this weekend and report.

Now, you can sell it ;)

No chance, while IRs are amazing for recording, I do prefer a cab over FRFR any day. The reason I shot these IRs were so that I could tweak patches on my monitors and have them ready to go with my cab. Also, for live i run through a cab and direct, and i like a consistent sound from cab to foh

Dude! We will try to use these to re-amp a video we shot of Tosin at Axe-Fest. Since he played into a port city, we recorded the direct guitar with no cab sim.

Awesome! If he has the oversized 2x12 with the V30s, the combination i put above should get it very close.

Awesome! If he has the oversized 2x12 with the V30s, the combination i put above should get it very close.

Yep! It's why I requested on the thread. We have a great video of Tosin playing but as Matt said it wasn't quite right since we recorded his guitar track off the board with no cab since he was going through his Port City which we did not have time to mic up.

Great timing Sean! :eagerness:

Back
Top Bottom