Poll: who is rocking a tablet?

Who has a tablet, and what kind?

• Total voters

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
The Tool
Click here to to learn more about Axe for Lemur 3.xx (PDF file)
There's a free touchscreen editor for the Axe-Fx that completely rocks for dialing presets. It's faster than pushing a mouse around, requires very little navigation, runs on an iPad app called Lemur, and some of us are looking to revive this tool because the developer skipped town.

You don't need a Mac to use it. You send this Axe-Fx editor to an iPad with a free Windows/Mac app. All you need is an iPad and Lemur ($25) the app that runs this Axe-Fx editor template. Lemur isn't free, but it's worth it. Those who've experienced it can testify.

Problem is, we have no clue how many iPad users are here, and ongoing development makes little sense if few benefit. We're also clueless on number of Android tablet users. Liine (maker of Lemur) would be smart to add an Android version of Lemur.

We can expand the editor to latest Axe-Fx firmware, add hundreds of instant-audition cab buttons (it currently has 100 Factory, 100 User) and continue development. But we need people to speak up (and vote): iPad users, other tablet OS users and those interested in iPads.

Post your thoughts, opinions, support, etc, and help us bring this excellent tool back.

Work needed
The editor works great today on FW14 (minus newer features), but only with older Lemur software. It needs to be updated to work on Lemur V5.x, and expanded to add the latest Axe-Fx FW goodies. This work represents only about the last 5%. The other 95% has already been done by the previous developer check it out Click here to to learn more about Axe for Lemur 3.xx (PDF file)

Why it's worth it
I believe in this tool for a variety of reasons:

- Dialing time vs. Playing time is one of the biggest complaints of Axe-Fx users.
- The dialing time required to get a favorite tone back after a FW upgrade is another big one
- More presets = more dialing time
- When firmware hits, I can re-dial before the next "gig" quickly with this tool
- That said, recent FW has greatly reduced dialing time…kudos to Fractal!

- That said, 700+ Ultrarez cabs are coming online, cab audition time is now an issue
- And, swapping cabs often means re-tweaking the amp, which means…more time spent dialing!

- This editor and AE let you audition 100 cabs at a time very quickly: dump cabs into the axe-fx with AE, and then use this editor to instantly touch-audition cabs in a 100-button grid that stays open until you touch "OK." And when you switch back to AMP to tweak, this editor remembers where you were, and you have nearly 2X more AMP parameters literally at your finger tips -- faster, less navigation, less dialing time.

Last edited:
My main audio computer is a rack mounted PC not a Mac.

IIRC, the server / daemon part of Lemur can run on a PC?

I've got an iPad and love using it as a remote for Pro Tools and my PreSonus mixer.

My main audio computer is a rack mounted PC not a Mac.

IIRC, the server / daemon part of Lemur can run on a PC?

I've got an iPad and love using it as a remote for Pro Tools and my PreSonus mixer.

Yup, daemon can run on PC... Loaded on Win8.1 with no issues

I got a couple a while back. Didn't use them, gave them to family that ended up not using them. lol.
Android.

Build it and they will come.

Srsly though, I almost never read this board. Just happened to have time today. You might not be getting much input because it's stuck down here in the lounge.

Build it and they will come.

Srsly though, I almost never read this board. Just happened to have time today. You might not be getting much input because it's stuck down here in the lounge.
True Dat. Tablets have no forum-home. There's one for "other midi controllers" but nothing for "other Axe-Fx editors" ;) Probably would've been moved here regardless.

I have an iPad and tried to get the Lemur editor working back when Axe-Edit was in limbo. I couldn't get it to work. I'd be interested in this if it was easy to install, set up and use.

Not sure what the problem getting Axe and Lemur to work would've been. I used it all the time, then I absentmindedly updated Lemur. Oops. I'm guessing the problem is that Lemur's new version took more memory and the Axe template was maxed out. I have a Cubase template I paid for that's mindblowing and it broke and had to have a little bit of functionality pulled to work with the new Lemur. I think the designer of that template said that the Lemur people were going to increase the amount of memory that the templates could use, so that might make the Axe template functional again.

As I've said before, I completely agree with SoloAct about the template. It's absolutely the fastest, easiest way to tweak the Axe there is. Much thanks to the improved Axe Edit, but the difference between a touchscreen and a mouse driven interface is HUGE. Scrutinizer did an absolutely stunning job with the template. At $25 right now, Lemur is a steal. If you do anything with computers and music, Lemur is a miracle. Before it was $25 software, it was software running on 2-3k dedicated touchscreens.
When people balk at the $50 I don't get it. You spent at least 2k on the Axe and probably 2x that on the rig total. In a single editing session I probably saved $50 worth of time. All the amps popped up organized by type. How cool is that?

I'd love the Lemur template to be updated, even if it becomes functional with another Lemur update. I'd throw some $ at it.

Where did Scrutinizer go, anyway?
Nobody knows. And if someone does, they're not talking. Scrutinizer has been PMd and emailed several times by more than a couple members and he's never responded.

Scrutinizer could probably get this working in short order and teach us how to add latest axe-fx features, but I've come to the concluding we're on our own, thus the poll and the separate "calling all coders" thread.

Back
Top Bottom