POLL: The most accurate PAF replica...

Who makes the most accurate PAF replica today? Must be new manufacture and under $2000 for the set.

• Arcane (Triple Clone, 57 Experience, Tim Pierce Signature)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Klein (Epic Series Wicked, 1958 P.A.F., 1959 P.A.F)

• Sigil (Holy Grail 58, Holy Grail 59

• Total voters
I will report back although it might take a while getting them from Canada to Australia and Australia’s post is not the fastest 😬. Craig from Vineham said he will send them either this Friday or Tuesday at the latest.
Cheers

That's pretty good turn-around, nice! I'm in the U.S., but have bought a couple of pedals from PastFX in Australia. Got here really quickly, so I hope the reverse (and from Canada) is true as well. I'll be looking forward to your review!

@SpudMan - Finally got to try out the current version of the Burstbuckers in a new Les Paul Standard '50s. Everything that follows is just my opinion and everyone has different ears. If there's anything you'd like to know that I didn't cover, just let me know!

First impression was that they are nice pickups. They're certainly in the vintage output range but are nicely full and even sounding. The middle position is nice and has a great chime. Neck position is round, might be a little muddy for some, but I didn't think it was bad. Bridge has a nice bite to it. Could easily do classic rock to '80s.

I then compared them to the Burstbuckers I got back in 2003. They are not the same, which is not surprising. IIRC, in 2003, the Burstbuckers were only available in Custom Shop models. The current version is available aftermarket and is standard on several current production models. So, they're probably made in much larger quantities these days. When they did become available aftermarket, 2006 or so, I tried one of the BB3s, and remember I didn't like it as well as the Burstbuckers I had. Interestingly, what I have is supposed to be a BB2 in the bridge and a BB1 in the neck. However, my BB1 measures 7.82k and the BB2 is 7.71k. IDK, weird that the BB2 is actually lower than the BB1, but that doesn't really matter, they sound great. For comparison, the new BB2 measured 8.08k and the BB1 is 7.60k, which is what I expected from the published specs.

The both old and new are unpotted and use Alnico II. They have that same A2 softness and compression, which I personally really like. The old ones are a little brighter and the highs seem to be centered a little higher. They have a zing to them that the new ones just don't have. The old was had more of a vocal sound. The new ones seem more balanced, more like an improved version of the '57 Classics (which themselves are good pickups). The extra brightness in the old ones made them seemed a little more scooped, but I wouldn't call either set scooped, not compared to a Duncan Alnico Pro II or a BKP Stormy Monday. The perceived output was similar, but I think the old ones sounded a touch hotter, probably the shift in the highs and just more present.

If I had to sum up, the new Burstbuckers sound like a modern pickup. Not as much character as a BKP Mule, more character than a '57 Classic, but modern in the same kind of way as both of those.

Then, I plugged in the Custombuckers in my R0 and got blown across the room. These just sizzle! They sounded downright hot playing them back-to-back. For reference, my Custombuckers measure 7.92k at the bridge and 7.88k at the neck, so not quite as high in the bridge, but more closely matched. These things sound old, too. Just smoked. The old Burstbuckers hold their own against them even though they're quite different pickups, but the new BBs, well, not so much. Unplugged, the guitars didn't sound that different, certainly not as drastically as they did plugged in.

I'll note that I played these 3 sets through a Fender '57 Champ and a '57 Deluxe, both new hand-wired series amps, got to crank them up a bit, too. I just didn't want to drag along an entire rig. I've played both the old Burstbuckers and the Custombuckers through the 5F1 Tweed and Tweed Deluxe models in the AxeFX recently and they sounded the same to me through the Fender amps.

One last thing I want to add about the quality of the guitar itself as this was a new Gibson production model made in 2023. I couldn't find a flaw in it anywhere, even took it outside (beautiful sunny day here) to get a good look at it. Neck was nice and straight, nut seemed well cut, intonation very good, action was medium and a little higher than I like it but very playable as is. Being the '50s version of the Les Paul Standard, it had a thicker neck, thicker than I was expecting, but very close to my '57 Custom RI and nothing outrageous. It had the smaller frets, too, like the R7 Goldtops, and a little smaller than the medium jumbos on my R0 (Gibson says they're both medium jumbo, but these were definitely not the same size). Acoustically, it sounded very good and was very resonant. My impression was that it was a really nice guitar and worth the price, which was about half of what I paid for my R0.

So, was the R0 worth twice the price? I thought so when I bought it and I thought so as soon as I picked it up after putting down the new Standard. The R0 feels like an old guitar. The wood is, well, different sounding and aesthetically better looking. The flame top was much more alive on the R0 compared to the Standard. So was the grain in the mahogany back. While the Standard has a 2-piece back, they did a great job of matching the grain, not just on the back but along the sides, too. I had to look very closely to see the seam. For me, the R0 was exactly the Les Paul I wanted, but the Standard was probably 90-95% of the way there and was half the price.

Bottom line is I'm just not seeing any of the quality control issues that others have claimed on various forums. Again, maybe I'm lucky, but the recent production Gibsons I've seen have all been good guitars as far as I can tell and noticeably much better than what they were producing 15-20 years ago.

@SpudMan - Finally got to try out the current version of the Burstbuckers in a new Les Paul Standard '50s. Everything that follows is just my opinion and everyone has different ears. If there's anything you'd like to know that I didn't cover, just let me know!

First impression was that they are nice pickups. They're certainly in the vintage output range but are nicely full and even sounding. The middle position is nice and has a great chime. Neck position is round, might be a little muddy for some, but I didn't think it was bad. Bridge has a nice bite to it. Could easily do classic rock to '80s.

I then compared them to the Burstbuckers I got back in 2003. They are not the same, which is not surprising. IIRC, in 2003, the Burstbuckers were only available in Custom Shop models. The current version is available aftermarket and is standard on several current production models. So, they're probably made in much larger quantities these days. When they did become available aftermarket, 2006 or so, I tried one of the BB3s, and remember I didn't like it as well as the Burstbuckers I had. Interestingly, what I have is supposed to be a BB2 in the bridge and a BB1 in the neck. However, my BB1 measures 7.82k and the BB2 is 7.71k. IDK, weird that the BB2 is actually lower than the BB1, but that doesn't really matter, they sound great. For comparison, the new BB2 measured 8.08k and the BB1 is 7.60k, which is what I expected from the published specs.

The both old and new are unpotted and use Alnico II. They have that same A2 softness and compression, which I personally really like. The old ones are a little brighter and the highs seem to be centered a little higher. They have a zing to them that the new ones just don't have. The old was had more of a vocal sound. The new ones seem more balanced, more like an improved version of the '57 Classics (which themselves are good pickups). The extra brightness in the old ones made them seemed a little more scooped, but I wouldn't call either set scooped, not compared to a Duncan Alnico Pro II or a BKP Stormy Monday. The perceived output was similar, but I think the old ones sounded a touch hotter, probably the shift in the highs and just more present.

If I had to sum up, the new Burstbuckers sound like a modern pickup. Not as much character as a BKP Mule, more character than a '57 Classic, but modern in the same kind of way as both of those.

Then, I plugged in the Custombuckers in my R0 and got blown across the room. These just sizzle! They sounded downright hot playing them back-to-back. For reference, my Custombuckers measure 7.92k at the bridge and 7.88k at the neck, so not quite as high in the bridge, but more closely matched. These things sound old, too. Just smoked. The old Burstbuckers hold their own against them even though they're quite different pickups, but the new BBs, well, not so much. Unplugged, the guitars didn't sound that different, certainly not as drastically as they did plugged in.

I'll note that I played these 3 sets through a Fender '57 Champ and a '57 Deluxe, both new hand-wired series amps, got to crank them up a bit, too. I just didn't want to drag along an entire rig. I've played both the old Burstbuckers and the Custombuckers through the 5F1 Tweed and Tweed Deluxe models in the AxeFX recently and they sounded the same to me through the Fender amps.

One last thing I want to add about the quality of the guitar itself as this was a new Gibson production model made in 2023. I couldn't find a flaw in it anywhere, even took it outside (beautiful sunny day here) to get a good look at it. Neck was nice and straight, nut seemed well cut, intonation very good, action was medium and a little higher than I like it but very playable as is. Being the '50s version of the Les Paul Standard, it had a thicker neck, thicker than I was expecting, but very close to my '57 Custom RI and nothing outrageous. It had the smaller frets, too, like the R7 Goldtops, and a little smaller than the medium jumbos on my R0 (Gibson says they're both medium jumbo, but these were definitely not the same size). Acoustically, it sounded very good and was very resonant. My impression was that it was a really nice guitar and worth the price, which was about half of what I paid for my R0.

So, was the R0 worth twice the price? I thought so when I bought it and I thought so as soon as I picked it up after putting down the new Standard. The R0 feels like an old guitar. The wood is, well, different sounding and aesthetically better looking. The flame top was much more alive on the R0 compared to the Standard. So was the grain in the mahogany back. While the Standard has a 2-piece back, they did a great job of matching the grain, not just on the back but along the sides, too. I had to look very closely to see the seam. For me, the R0 was exactly the Les Paul I wanted, but the Standard was probably 90-95% of the way there and was half the price.

Bottom line is I'm just not seeing any of the quality control issues that others have claimed on various forums. Again, maybe I'm lucky, but the recent production Gibsons I've seen have all been good guitars as far as I can tell and noticeably much better than what they were producing 15-20 years ago.
Thank you so, so much for taking the time to provide me with your assessment of both guitars. I will read again in the morning, and comment further. But perhaps my wife summed it up well: "sounds like the new one is OK and probably worth the price, with no obvious flaws, but you (meaning me!) wouldn't be happy with it." So from a value perspective, perhaps the new 50's Standard is a good guitar, but for someone like me who has limited budget and as a result, limited ability to buy many guitars, I would not be satisfied. Wanting to come as close as possible to replicating my old LP Goldtop, all of the aspects of the 1957 Reissue seem to be what would please me.
Not sure if I mentioned that several years ago, during the pandemic, I went to the store and tried new LP's. I didn't see the quality issues others refer to, but the shiny/glossy finish and the color texture just looked like cheap plastic to me. Not at all like my old LP.
I truly appreciate your insight, and I have to say I would have been surprised if you had said anything different. The new ones are fine, but just not what I am looking for. This is a big purchase for me, and I want to be really happy, not just OK with it.
I haven't seem a 57 RI in person, but it just looks like the finish and coloring are more "old" as you say, without being relic (which I hate).
Thanks again, and have a great evening.

Thank you so, so much for taking the time to provide me with your assessment of both guitars. I will read again in the morning, and comment further. But perhaps my wife summed it up well: "sounds like the new one is OK and probably worth the price, with no obvious flaws, but you (meaning me!) wouldn't be happy with it." So from a value perspective, perhaps the new 50's Standard is a good guitar, but for someone like me who has limited budget and as a result, limited ability to buy many guitars, I would not be satisfied. Wanting to come as close as possible to replicating my old LP Goldtop, all of the aspects of the 1957 Reissue seem to be what would please me.
Not sure if I mentioned that several years ago, during the pandemic, I went to the store and tried new LP's. I didn't see the quality issues others refer to, but the shiny/glossy finish and the color texture just looked like cheap plastic to me. Not at all like my old LP.
I truly appreciate your insight, and I have to say I would have been surprised if you had said anything different. The new ones are fine, but just not what I am looking for. This is a big purchase for me, and I want to be really happy, not just OK with it.
I haven't seem a 57 RI in person, but it just looks like the finish and coloring are more "old" as you say, without being relic (which I hate).
Thanks again, and have a great evening.

You're more than welcome, just worked out that I'd been planning on checking this guitar out anyway. Hope it helped!

Obviously, what you choose to do with your money is entirely your business. I know that, but I will say one thing. If I had to choose one, it would be my R0 without a second's hesitation. I've always loved Les Pauls and I've wanted a Reissue since I first played one back in the early 2000s. The production models are good guitars and the last few percentages of quality anything almost always cost dearly, but... my R0 is just in a different league than the Standard I played today and that Standard was a really good guitar in its own right. If the 57 RI is what you really want, it is worth waiting for and worth the price. (BTW, I've seen a few and you're right, they make the production versions look plastic.) My unsolicited advice is don't settle for less than exactly what you want.

One thing maybe worth mentioning is that @Churchhill compared magnets made approximately 20 years apart. Magnets do change over time and this may account for some of the differences they noted. Its the only explanation I can think of for why my 96 498T sounds like a burstbucker not a 498T lol.

Re neck pickup mud, imo every factory les paul needs the neck pickup dropped to sound useable past a fat round clean tone - ymmv.

Sounds like spudman likes the VOS of the historics though I stand by my diy matte suggestion ;)

You're more than welcome, just worked out that I'd been planning on checking this guitar out anyway. Hope it helped!

Obviously, what you choose to do with your money is entirely your business. I know that, but I will say one thing. If I had to choose one, it would be my R0 without a second's hesitation. I've always loved Les Pauls and I've wanted a Reissue since I first played one back in the early 2000s. The production models are good guitars and the last few percentages of quality anything almost always cost dearly, but... my R0 is just in a different league than the Standard I played today and that Standard was a really good guitar in its own right. If the 57 RI is what you really want, it is worth waiting for and worth the price. (BTW, I've seen a few and you're right, they make the production versions look plastic.) My unsolicited advice is don't settle for less than exactly what you want.
You and my wife agree that I shouldn't settle. Your memories are from the early 2000's on the LP's, mine are more from the late 60's to early 70's. Again, I don't know the exact year of the one I sold long ago, but I bought it used in the very early 70's, and it was not at all new then.
I tried my local shop and they offered to take $600 off the guitar, but to me that isn't a great deal. Basically they are saying they are discounting the approximate amount of sales tax. Seems to me that with a fair amount of them available at various shops, they should at least discount a $5K guitar to $4K (before tax). Maybe another shop will do that, but then I have to buy it sight unseen.
On an unrelated to LP note, I am really interested in Firebird's now but the best I found is one for $2,999, a 2002 model used, but with no tremolo as the V's in that era didn't have tremolo's. If I do get a Firebird I also don't want the non-reverse. To me the reverse is the character of the guitar, or at least a good part of it. I am also trying to decide if I get a "cheaper" Warmoth body designed for mini humbuckers and buy the Firebird pickups from Gibson to get a taste of the sound. Not sure on any of that, and really the LP is first.
Again, I appreciate the help.

One thing maybe worth mentioning is that @Churchhill compared magnets made approximately 20 years apart. Magnets do change over time and this may account for some of the differences they noted. Its the only explanation I can think of for why my 96 498T sounds like a burstbucker not a 498T lol.

Re neck pickup mud, imo every factory les paul needs the neck pickup dropped to sound useable past a fat round clean tone - ymmv.

Sounds like spudman likes the VOS of the historics though I stand by my diy matte suggestion ;)

Yep, they were made approximately 20 years apart, but to the best of my recollection, they still sound like they did then. Without a flux meter and measurements from back then, I can't be sure that they haven't degaussed a bit, but I have my doubts. Rather, I think there are two other explanations that may be the reason they sound so different.

First, I think the magnets may be different compositions. Gibson says they're both A2, and they likely are, but if they're from two different manufacturers (my guess), or even the same manufacturer who may have changed their process, they are likely a little different. The sound differences I'm hearing are within what I would expect from a magnet swap, too. And, different magnets may be charged differently, which could also affect the sound. I do think you're right, that there are differences in the flux field in play here; I just think there may be other reasons besides age.

Second, I think they are wound differently. Whether on purpose or accidentally, while they're not far off in resistance (8k, 7.8k, and 7.6k and assuming they're all 42 awg), they are different enough to suggest the sound would change. I haven't measured each coil, but the offset between the coils could be different as well. And, when I first got these in 2003, I had the chance to compare them to other BB equipped guitars. At the time, they didn't sound like any of those, either, similar, but not the same. The guitar was part of a small run (10 guitars, I think) commissioned by the Music Zoo and it's possible that they spec'd something different, although I have no evidence that they did. The guitar does have a custom neck shape and non-standard inlays, so it's not beyond reason to think that they couldn't have specified slightly different pickups. The BB2 resistance isn't in spec, reads more like a BB1. So, whether these actually are Burstbuckers, well, just not entirely sure. I've called them that because that's what they were advertised as.

Anyway... I agree... every factory production LP has the neck pickup too high. When I tested the new Standard, I actually adjusted the pickups to make them more in line with my Burstbuckers, lowered the neck and raised the bridge pickup slightly. I will say that, when I got my R0 with the Custombuckers, it wasn't muddy in the neck position at all and I ended up actually raising the neck pickup a little. It could have been setup at the store, but those pickups are much brighter than most stock Gibsons.

I think there is more going on with the Reissues than just cosmetic VOS treatments. Other than the 2-piece bodies on the production lines vs the 1-piece bodies on the RIs, I think the quality of the wood as related to the criteria they use to select the wood is more selective (some might say better, but that's subjective). There has been a noticeable difference in how every single one I've ever played, regardless of model, resonates, just feels more alive and sounds more vocal. It's a subtle difference and probably isn't even noticeable under higher amounts of gain, but it's there. The question, I think, is whether or not that difference is worthwhile or even desirable for a specific player. For me, it was, but it didn't make me like my production LPs any less; they're just different, not necessarily better or worse.

In Spudman's case (using him as an example of this scenario), it sounds to me like he's wanting to get as close as possible to the one he used to have. If the more selectively chosen wood, more historically accurate components, along with the aesthetic differences gets him closer, then it may be a valid choice for him. From my experience, I'd think the difference in price may be a lot less between an R7 and a LPS '50s than it was between that and an R0 (or R9). Currently, R9/R0 list for $6800, R7 for $5000, and LPS '50s for $2800 (USD); with discounts, the price gets a lot closer.

Anyway... I think the bottom line is that whatever inspires you to reach for that guitar and play is all that really matters.

In any case, that LPS '50s I played yesterday was a really nice guitar, nice color, too. Cherry red over a 2A top.

Yep, they were made approximately 20 years apart, but to the best of my recollection, they still sound like they did then. Without a flux meter and measurements from back then, I can't be sure that they haven't degaussed a bit, but I have my doubts. Rather, I think there are two other explanations that may be the reason they sound so different.

First, I think the magnets may be different compositions. Gibson says they're both A2, and they likely are, but if they're from two different manufacturers (my guess), or even the same manufacturer who may have changed their process, they are likely a little different. The sound differences I'm hearing are within what I would expect from a magnet swap, too. And, different magnets may be charged differently, which could also affect the sound. I do think you're right, that there are differences in the flux field in play here; I just think there may be other reasons besides age.

Second, I think they are wound differently. Whether on purpose or accidentally, while they're not far off in resistance (8k, 7.8k, and 7.6k and assuming they're all 42 awg), they are different enough to suggest the sound would change. I haven't measured each coil, but the offset between the coils could be different as well. And, when I first got these in 2003, I had the chance to compare them to other BB equipped guitars. At the time, they didn't sound like any of those, either, similar, but not the same. The guitar was part of a small run (10 guitars, I think) commissioned by the Music Zoo and it's possible that they spec'd something different, although I have no evidence that they did. The guitar does have a custom neck shape and non-standard inlays, so it's not beyond reason to think that they couldn't have specified slightly different pickups. The BB2 resistance isn't in spec, reads more like a BB1. So, whether these actually are Burstbuckers, well, just not entirely sure. I've called them that because that's what they were advertised as.

Anyway... I agree... every factory production LP has the neck pickup too high. When I tested the new Standard, I actually adjusted the pickups to make them more in line with my Burstbuckers, lowered the neck and raised the bridge pickup slightly. I will say that, when I got my R0 with the Custombuckers, it wasn't muddy in the neck position at all and I ended up actually raising the neck pickup a little. It could have been setup at the store, but those pickups are much brighter than most stock Gibsons.

I think there is more going on with the Reissues than just cosmetic VOS treatments. Other than the 2-piece bodies on the production lines vs the 1-piece bodies on the RIs, I think the quality of the wood as related to the criteria they use to select the wood is more selective (some might say better, but that's subjective). There has been a noticeable difference in how every single one I've ever played, regardless of model, resonates, just feels more alive and sounds more vocal. It's a subtle difference and probably isn't even noticeable under higher amounts of gain, but it's there. The question, I think, is whether or not that difference is worthwhile or even desirable for a specific player. For me, it was, but it didn't make me like my production LPs any less; they're just different, not necessarily better or worse.

In Spudman's case (using him as an example of this scenario), it sounds to me like he's wanting to get as close as possible to the one he used to have. If the more selectively chosen wood, more historically accurate components, along with the aesthetic differences gets him closer, then it may be a valid choice for him. From my experience, I'd think the difference in price may be a lot less between an R7 and a LPS '50s than it was between that and an R0 (or R9). Currently, R9/R0 list for $6800, R7 for $5000, and LPS '50s for $2800 (USD); with discounts, the price gets a lot closer.

Anyway... I think the bottom line is that whatever inspires you to reach for that guitar and play is all that really matters.

In any case, that LPS '50s I played yesterday was a really nice guitar, nice color, too. Cherry red over a 2A top.
Just wondering, is this the guitar you are talking about?
https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Electric-Guitar/Les-Paul-Standard-50s-Figured-Top/60s-Cherry
If so, since I wouldn't be comparing to my old Goldtop, perhaps it might be a good buy for now, and I work towards the RI later. I guess if I wasn't comparing the BB and Custombuckers side by side, I might consider this a nice addition and again, work towards adding the RI. Decisions, Decisions!

Last edited:
You and my wife agree that I shouldn't settle. Your memories are from the early 2000's on the LP's, mine are more from the late 60's to early 70's. Again, I don't know the exact year of the one I sold long ago, but I bought it used in the very early 70's, and it was not at all new then.
I tried my local shop and they offered to take $600 off the guitar, but to me that isn't a great deal. Basically they are saying they are discounting the approximate amount of sales tax. Seems to me that with a fair amount of them available at various shops, they should at least discount a $5K guitar to $4K (before tax). Maybe another shop will do that, but then I have to buy it sight unseen.
On an unrelated to LP note, I am really interested in Firebird's now but the best I found is one for $2,999, a 2002 model used, but with no tremolo as the V's in that era didn't have tremolo's. If I do get a Firebird I also don't want the non-reverse. To me the reverse is the character of the guitar, or at least a good part of it. I am also trying to decide if I get a "cheaper" Warmoth body designed for mini humbuckers and buy the Firebird pickups from Gibson to get a taste of the sound. Not sure on any of that, and really the LP is first.
Again, I appreciate the help.

FWIW, my wife has said the same thing to me more than a few times and she's been right. I agree on the discount you're looking for, too, I know there are shops that will get close if not better. In this case, I wouldn't worry too much about buying sight unseen. Any of those shops will send you pictures of every aspect of the exact guitar if you ask and they will all work with you if something isn't right. They all have good reputations that they've worked hard for over a long time and don't want to lose. Places like Dave's Guitar Shop, Fuller's, Willcutt, Music Zoo I've done business with before and I've heard many good things about Eddie's, Wildwood, and several others.

Ah, yeah... Firebirds... yep, reverse for me, too, the original. Mine (2001) doesn't have a tremolo, either, but that's OK. I've heard rumors that Gibson may release a Firebird I (I love the simplicity) at some point soon, but that's me dreaming a little, too. I love the way they look with a Maestro Vibrola... maybe one of these days. I've also thought about a Warmoth Tele with FBs, at least in the neck. Warmoth makes some great stuff, I think.

Just wondering, is this the guitar you are talking about?
https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Electric-Guitar/Les-Paul-Standard-50s-Figured-Top/60s-Cherry
If so, since I wouldn't be comparing to my old Goldtop, perhaps it might be a good buy for now, and I work towards the RI later. I guess if I wasn't comparing the BB and Custombuckers side by side, I might consider this a nice addition and again, work towards adding the RI. Decisions, Decisions!

Yep, that's exactly the one I was playing yesterday. For all intents, it's the same as the Goldtop version of that model.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Electric-Guitar/USAUBC849/Gold-Top

Yep, that's exactly the one I was playing yesterday. For all intents, it's the same as the Goldtop version of that model.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Electric-Guitar/USAUBC849/Gold-Top
OK, so as you say above, these are your personal observarions and mine could be different. Based on the discussion in this thread, Vintage PAF sound, you have said that the BB's here are modern sounding, not vintage. Hmm, that could be an issue. But overall, for me, I am just looking for warmer tone. I don't play metal or hard rock, although at times I do go for more overdrive, etc. But overall I prefer warmer tones, with more "acoustic" properties. Sort of more "airy" tone, like the difference between a tube amp and a digital amp, if that makes sense.
I really prefer the 57 RI, but if I could be happy with less cost, ... Finally, did the Cherry Red guitar look "plastic"?

OK, so as you say above, these are your personal observarions and mine could be different. Based on the discussion in this thread, Vintage PAF sound, you have said that the BB's here are modern sounding, not vintage. Hmm, that could be an issue. But overall, for me, I am just looking for warmer tone. I don't play metal or hard rock, although at times I do go for more overdrive, etc. But overall I prefer warmer tones, with more "acoustic" properties. Sort of more "airy" tone, like the difference between a tube amp and a digital amp, if that makes sense.
I really prefer the 57 RI, but if I could be happy with less cost, ... Finally, did the Cherry Red guitar look "plastic"?

What pickups are you playing now? I can't remember if you've said, but might help me compare.

I did think that BBs had a modern sound, but that's mostly in the upper-mids and highs. They were what I'd call warm and weren't as sterile as I think the '57 Classics can be. What I wouldn't call them is "airy" or "acoustic." The highs just didn't extend that far. I did get some decent to good clean sounds out of them, but, to me, a good PAF can sound like it's whispering in your ear (if that makes any sense) and these just didn't have that, not like the Custombuckers do.

It was pretty shiny, but I've seen the equivalent Goldtops and am pretty sure I know exactly what you mean. They're not the right color gold and look like a plastic imitation because of it. The red wasn't like that, to me, just a nice medium (and very shiny) red not too different from Heritage Cherry from years past. OTOH, I don't mind shiny things, and it seemed like it'd break in well. I have a 2019 SG Jr that is aging well and it was pretty shiny, too, when I got it.

Edit: Even when the gold isn't shiny, it's still not the right color of gold, which becomes even more obvious when they're side by side with a RI.

What pickups are you playing now? I can't remember if you've said, but might help me compare.

I did think that BBs had a modern sound, but that's mostly in the upper-mids and highs. They were what I'd call warm and weren't as sterile as I think the '57 Classics can be. What I wouldn't call them is "airy" or "acoustic." The highs just didn't extend that far. I did get some decent to good clean sounds out of them, but, to me, a good PAF can sound like it's whispering in your ear (if that makes any sense) and these just didn't have that, not like the Custombuckers do.

It was pretty shiny, but I've seen the equivalent Goldtops and am pretty sure I know exactly what you mean. They're not the right color gold and look like a plastic imitation because of it. The red wasn't like that, to me, just a nice medium (and very shiny) red not too different from Heritage Cherry from years past. OTOH, I don't mind shiny things, and it seemed like it'd break in well. I have a 2019 SG Jr that is aging well and it was pretty shiny, too, when I got it.

Edit: Even when the gold isn't shiny, it's still not the right color of gold, which becomes even more obvious when they're side by side with a RI.
Side Note: My wife keeps saying, "don't get cheap, you always try to get cheap and save and end up dissatisfied".Two examples: (1) Buying the FM3 instead of an AXE III, and (2) Buying a Blues Jr. amp, although that was really not being cheap, it was just during the pandemic when finding things was hard.
As to the pickups I am currently playing, to start with they are all Lindy Fralin pickups.
(1) A Strat with:
  • Neck Pickup: Vintage Hot
  • Middle Pickup: Vintage Hot
  • Bridge Pickup: Steel Pole 43
(2) A Tele with:
  • Neck Pickup: Modern P.A.F.
  • Bridge Pickup: Modern P.A.F.
(3) A Tele with:
  • Neck Pickup: P92
  • Bridge Pickup: Split Steel Pole Tele
I have to say I really like the Modern P.A.F.'s, but probably should have ordered the Pure P.A.F.'s. I believe I mentioned previously that I have both coil split.

I am happy with all of these guitars though. Just really wanting a LP.

Side Note: My wife keeps saying, "don't get cheap, you always try to get cheap and save and end up dissatisfied".Two examples: (1) Buying the FM3 instead of an AXE III, and (2) Buying a Blues Jr. amp, although that was really not being cheap, it was just during the pandemic when finding things was hard.
As to the pickups I am currently playing, to start with they are all Lindy Fralin pickups.
(1) A Strat with:
  • Neck Pickup: Vintage Hot
  • Middle Pickup: Vintage Hot
  • Bridge Pickup: Steel Pole 43
(2) A Tele with:
  • Neck Pickup: Modern P.A.F.
  • Bridge Pickup: Modern P.A.F.
(3) A Tele with:
  • Neck Pickup: P92
  • Bridge Pickup: Split Steel Pole Tele
I have to say I really like the Modern P.A.F.'s, but probably should have ordered the Pure P.A.F.'s. I believe I mentioned previously that I have both coil split.

I am happy with all of these guitars though. Just really wanting a LP.

It's been a while since I've heard either of those Fralins, but from what I remember, both were more airy and acoustic sounding than the new BBs I tried yesterday, maybe equally as warm. I think I'd go with an unpotted Fralin Modern or Pure PAF (they're both potted by default) over the BB, if I had to choose between the two.

The best example of my wife being right about the "don't get cheap" thing was when I was getting back into recording about 15 years ago and bought a whole bunch of cheap mics. Some weren't bad, but none of them made me happy and I spent way more than I would have just buying an AEA or Mojave in the first place.

Not sure I should say this, but... while that LPS was really nice, it was also nowhere near being in the same league as my R0. It was like being used to drinking Guinness in the US and then going to Dublin and having one there. Might be the same thing, but it's not... not even close.

It's been a while since I've heard either of those Fralins, but from what I remember, both were more airy and acoustic sounding than the new BBs I tried yesterday, maybe equally as warm. I think I'd go with an unpotted Fralin Modern or Pure PAF (they're both potted by default) over the BB, if I had to choose between the two.

The best example of my wife being right about the "don't get cheap" thing was when I was getting back into recording about 15 years ago and bought a whole bunch of cheap mics. Some weren't bad, but none of them made me happy and I spent way more than I would have just buying an AEA or Mojave in the first place.

Not sure I should say this, but... while that LPS was really nice, it was also nowhere near being in the same league as my R0. It was like being used to drinking Guinness in the US and then going to Dublin and having one there. Might be the same thing, but it's not... not even close.
Good advice, wish the world hadn't gotten so expensive, but you only live once as they say. There isn't really a point IMHO in me getting a production guitar with pickups that don't add "value" to my search for sound over the Fralin's. That is why I was considering the Warmoth build with ThroBak's, or some other more vintage PAF's. Thus my interest in this thread. But I am struggling with doing a Warmoth build now as paying up front and waiting 3 to 4 months for delivery just gives me pause.
Thanks for all the great information and advice. I have reached out to one of what I consider to be a reputable guitar shop and asked for what they consider their best discount. Haven't heard back yet. As I said above, my local shop only will go down 10%, which isn't enough IMHO.

Well I wish you the best of luck in your search! I'd think about calling them, too, I've had (maybe) better luck over the phone, and I'd talk with more than one. A little bidding war might go in your favor.

And please keep us informed, too. I'm curious and would love to know what you finally decide on!

Well I wish you the best of luck in your search! I'd think about calling them, too, I've had (maybe) better luck over the phone, and I'd talk with more than one. A little bidding war might go in your favor.

And please keep us informed, too. I'm curious and would love to know what you finally decide on!
Good advice, and I will update when I make a decision. I am an overthinker, so ....

@SpudMan Let me ask you a question... if you were going to choose a Throbak, which one would it be and why? Just curious.
I need to research further to give a truly informed answer, but off the top of my head it would still be the following. If you go to the webpage and read the long description it mentions the various vintage/authentic design that went into them. In fact it says they had access to the actual pickups Kossof had in his guitar to base their design (schematic and components). And the similarities with Peter Green's pickups is just a bonus.
That being said, I would also look at their SLE-101 pickups which are their flagship model. The neck is lower output than the Koss but many have spoken very highly of them. I could be wrong, but I think that these are the ones Collings used to offer.
I should mention here though that Craig at Vineham said he could build me pickups based on the Throbak Koss design.
But again, I need to research further before giving a definitive answer. I just lean to the Kossof pickups because, as I mentioned before, his tone on Fire and Water, and Oh I Wept, are just what I love. But so much of that is from his hands, head and heart that no pickup can guarantee to deliver a similar tone.

Koss-301 MXV P.A.F. Pickup Repros - Made in USA
Neck 8.6k , Bridge 7.6k (Sam Li repair spec.), 7.7k bridge (Pre Repair Spec.)​

Back
Top Bottom