Poll Added: Tuner calibration bug? Please confirm.

Does your AFX's tuner match other tuners when you calibrate the AFX's tuner to A=441?

• Yes, mine does.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
I have 6 tuners here (3 Intellitouch, 1 Boss pedal, 1 Seiko verry accurate tuner) that all agree with each other and disagree with my Ultra's tuner (firmware 6.04).

In order for the Ultra's tuner to agree with my other tuners I have to claibrate it to A = 441 hz.

Could some of you other folks please confirm this for me?

Re: Tuner calibration bug? Please confirm.

yes the axe's tuner is not the most accurate, this has been discussed in other threads. my peterson stroborack is way different than the axe. we never got a word from cliff on possibly adjusting the axe's tuner to be more accurate. So i and others just use a different tuner.

dpeterson said:
yes the axe's tuner is not the most accurate, this has been discussed in other threads. my peterson stroborack is way different than the axe. we never got a word from cliff on possibly adjusting the axe's tuner to be more accurate. So i and others just use a different tuner.

Hmm.
It seems quite accurate to me, except that it's off by 1 hz.
Also, this should be real easy to fix.

But if you're using an external tuner, I'm curious as to how to you have it wired up?

I bought a Korg rack tuner to use with my Triaxis rig, but having any signal go through it really sucks the tone right out. I've got it wired into a side-chain signal-path so that the signal it sees is not the signal that goes on to my FX or my power amp. The signal that goes to the tuner is pre-volume pedal, so I can back off the volume and tune.

I haven't figure out yet how to do sim with the AFX.
I'm using a MIDI CC pedal to control a Vol/Pan block in my AFX presets.
I guess I could put an Effects Loop block on a parallel path and use one of the Output 2 jacks for the tuner, but then I lose the use of Output 2 and/or the FX loop.

I must have missed those previous discussions about the Axe tuner not being accurate.

Do we know if it's consistent (i.e. always set it to A=441 for better accuracy), or if it varies from one unit to the next?

That might explain why my bassist is always puzzled when we both tune (me on the Axe, him on a tuner pedal) and we end up not quite in tune...

dpeterson said:

I don't think he is talking about accuracy but calibration? That would be a bug. I'll try and confirm.

I run my guitar to my rack back panel, then goes into an axess bs2 buffer splitter, and i run the iso'd out to the tuner, and the buffered out to the first loop in my patchmate, then from there into the axe.

dpeterson said:
I run my guitar to my rack back panel, then goes into an axess bs2 buffer splitter, and i run the iso'd out to the tuner, and the buffered out to the first loop in my patchmate, then from there into the axe.

OK. So you're using the splitter function of the BS2.
I'm hoping to avoid having to do that if possible.
Thanks.

joegold said:
dpeterson said:

Thanks.

Confirmed. 441Hz seems to be just about spot on w/ my Peterson Strobostomp 2.

joegold said:
dpeterson said:

Thanks.

yeah, i was having a gnarly ground loop somewhere, and tracked it down to my peterson and a 166xl i had in the rack. I ended up getting rid of the 166xl and removing the peterson and putting it in a rack bag (like this better anyway) and still use the split. there's probably a different way to do it, but i wanted the tuner not in my chain at all, and the splitter does this.

javajunkie said:
Confirmed. 441Hz seems to be just about spot on w/ my Peterson Strobostomp 2.

Thanks.
Do Fractal reps read the Bugs Forum fairly regularly?

It's unit-to-unit variation. That's why there's a calibration feature.

FractalAudio said:
It's unit-to-unit variation. That's why there's a calibration feature.

Really?
You mean you can't fix this with firmware?
That seems pretty weird to me.
With all due respect, that's not what calibration on a tuner is supposed to be able to compensate for.

Is there an scientific way to identify the calibration needed? I guess I could use my cheaper KORG tuner to send the Orchestral A note and hook up a mic to my Axe FX and see what note the Axe thinks the note is? Any other ideas? I've found tuners generally go all over the place when tuning my guitar, not sure I would want to calibrate off something that fuzzy.

oddb0d said:
Is there an scientific way to identify the calibration needed? I guess I could use my cheaper KORG tuner to send the Orchestral A note and hook up a mic to my Axe FX and see what note the Axe thinks the note is? Any other ideas? I've found tuners generally go all over the place when tuning my guitar, not sure I would want to calibrate off something that fuzzy.

Like I said...
I have 5 tuners at my house that all agree with each other.
All I did was A/B them against the AFX tuner.
I'd tune my high E string with one of the known good tuners but when I checked it on the AFX it came up sharp unless I adjusted the AFX's tuner calibration to A = 441.
javajunkie did the same thing with his Peterson tuner and came up with the same value.

Guitar tuning is never 100% accurate. There's always some variance due to all sorts of factors. That's fine, as long as it sounds in tune. But in order for us to have a chance in hell of it sounding as in tune as possible it's nice to have accurate tuners to start with.

I'd be interested to see if anybody else out there has to adjust their AFX to anything other than A = 441 in order for it to match up with another known-to-be-accurate tuner.
It seems odd to me that if this is really "unit to unit variation" that both javajunkie and me came up with the same offset of A = 441.

Yeah, and if you don't have an accurate tuner to calibrate the Axe-FX with, then what?

Can anyone post an exactly tuned A so we can check it? ;-)
... but I'm only half kidding. Without a tuner, how do you know?

Apart from the accuracy as compared to an exact pitch, how is the string-to-string accuracy?

if it's your only tuner in a band situation, this would be a disaster... imagine right before a set.. others use their tuner, you use the axe, and 1 2 3 4... blaaaaah.. personally i think it should be fixed if possible, as i might not always be able to get to my peterson... (what a good name :)

Brian G said:
Apart from the accuracy as compared to an exact pitch, how is the string-to-string accuracy?

As far as I can tell it's fine.
It seems to be a little more sensitive than say a Boss TU-2.
But the TU-2 is only accurate up to +/-3 cents.
I just assumed that the AFX tuner was +/-1 cent.
But now I don't know if I can trust it at all.

dpeterson said:
personally i think it should be fixed if possible

Me too, obviously.
But based on what Cliff just said it doesn't look like he can or will fix this.
I find that really weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom