Plexi 100 very blanketed now

I reran the parameter generator tools and I must've screwed something up.

For now you can fix the model with the following:

Preamp
Preamp Bias: 0.128

Cathode Follower
Compression: 74.9%
Harmonics: 0.608

There's another hidden parameter that needs to be updated but it isn't as important as these three.

Preamp

Cathode Follower

There's another hidden parameter that needs to be updated but it isn't as important as these three.

Thank you for looking into that and I look forward to the fix. Dang, I wish I didn’t have to get ready for work! I want to try this. It’s nice to know I wasn’t just nuts.

Preamp

Cathode Follower

That seems to make a very minor difference in the tone. Still pretty muddy and blanketed here.

Might be my 54 year old ears, but I'm not hearing anything significantly different there. However, you had me at Lifeson.

Edit: Oh! You were comparing the real amp to a model, not the model before and after fixes. LOL...yeah, my ears are okay then. :D

I tested this with one of my favorite Dynacab recipes and I can definitely hear a difference in the high and low end now. Which makes me wonder if something happened to that particular factory preset in the upgrade process beyond just those amp parameters. The amp itself works fine now outside of that preset and cab.

I tested this with one of my favorite Dynacab recipes and I can definitely hear a difference in the high and low end now. Which makes me wonder if something happened to that particular factory preset in the upgrade process beyond just those amp parameters. The amp itself works fine now outside of that preset and cab.
That cab isn't the best choice IMO but it's possible there's something more going on w/ that preset.

Preamp

Cathode Follower

Thanks for confirming the issue and recommending the manual setting changes as a quick fix. Karl and I both feel vindicated.

It just sounds slightly louder and that might give the impression it's brighter (Fletcher-Munson yadda yadda), turn up the volume a bit on the second part and they sound identical... at least to my ears
No matter how much I amplify the second part, it just has a completely different frequency profile.

No matter how much I amplify the second part, it just has a completely different frequency profile.
Ok...

Plexi vs FM9.png

The only part where I see a major difference in the spectrum is at 100 Hz and below, and I probably didn't hear that cuz the speakers I have in front of me right now probably don't go that low... but other than that they look pretty much identical to me.

PS: and it was an mp3 file, so probably not the best medium to do such comparisons

Makes a significant difference here. Remember the mid and treble pots are log taper on this model. Don't be afraid to turn them way up.
I had been doing that - mids and treble on 10 — and I loved it - a smoother Plexi, great for chords. Recorded some with this as well (Aerosmith Rocks and Toys rhythm tracks).

Good to know how to adjust back in existing firmware.

Hey! When you update - we may wanna to know how re- adjust parameters to revert back to this “sorta dark” 100W version! It’s very cool! 😂😂😂

Is this just for the Plexi 100 model or are other Plexi models impacted, like the Plexi 50W high?

Back
Top Bottom