Plexi 100 very blanketed now

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
Factory preset 9: the plexi 100 is very dark and blanketed now. Wasn’t before. Lots of IRs that used to work with that amp dont anymore. You can dial in some of the Dynacabs to work but this seems like such a major change in sound that it might not have been intentional. Anyone else?

Did you record an a/b? Can you roll back to do so?

Are your strings new? Does your pick still have its point (if fingerpicking, ignore)?

Did you record an a/b? Can you roll back to do so?

Are your strings new? Does your pick still have its point (if fingerpicking, ignore)?
I didn’t. Try it for yourself. There is an entire discussion on this over at TGP and I wasn’t convinced at first until I tried it myself, so I’m reporting it here. Yes, I have new strings and my picks are fine. I can’t roll back right now because I need the unit and my patches this week.

I'm not hearing anything wrong with that preset on the FM9 fw 7.

Hmm,. not doing that here. Even with my LP it sounds crispy enough through the monitors, not overly bright.
I'll see if I can make a recording too.

That's Scene 1 ?

I can confirm the same differences between Karl's and Yek's recording when my FM-9 was running FW 6.0 vs FW 7.0. Same muffled sound in FW 7.0 with the stock factory preset 9 Plexi 100. The preset sounded amazing in previous generation FW. When I switch the cab to the Dynacab Friedman 4x12 in FW 7, I was able to get something that sounded much better. It was a surprise to hear that the legacy cab in the preset sounded so muffled and woofy in the recent update. Hopefully the Fractal team can root out the issue and patch in a future update.

Seems like this is maybe a muffled cab vs a muffled amp model? What happens if you put that cab on another amp model?

Is possible somebody has reset the Amp block in their preset while somebody else has not?
I tried with and without RANF and with and without resetting the amp block. Preset 9 Plexi 100 was still questionably darker on FW 7.0 on the FM9 compared to FW 6.0.

I updated my FM9 and that preset does not sound that good anymore.
Going back to my Axe3 which is not updated and it sounds great like it always did in the past.
I think something must have happened too.

I’m having this same issue. I got my FM9 late last year, so I haven’t had it long. Before, I did have to increase the treble and presence a bit, especially at the low home volume I like to play at. However, FW 7 makes my LP sound like I’m playing through the neck pickup with the tone rolled back rather than the bridge that I’m using.

Sure, going to other IR’s will mitigate that some, but I’m still backing off the bass a whole lot and increasing the treble and presence a large amount just to get the preset sounding like it’s not a cab laying face down on the floor. I’ve mentioned it here before and also have even wondered if I ended up receiving a defective unit from Fractal because so many people here insist it’s just fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom