Plectrum, lets get picky

I’m the furthest thing from a pick collector. I used the same black Dunlop 1mm picks (the semi-grippy ones) for 20+ years. I recently switched to the Max Grip variant, and I like those even better. If you’re a shredder who changes their grip and angle often, you won’t like them though. For me the sturdiness, attack, and grip are 10/10

After 35 years of playing the guitar, and after several "enlightments" I found out that in terms of size the jazz 3's do the job for me. Anything bigger is big no-no. So, that's that.

In terms of thickness, 1.38mm the thinnest I can go. Non negotiable, lol.

In terms of playability the Primetones 305's are the best I have played so far, I stuck with them for 10 years but in terms of sound they were kinda problematic for me (they are on the bright side and produce extra noise when plucking the strings).

Basically, anything with a beveled tip at the correct size, shape and thickness would do the trick for me.

So, what's left is the material...

The last couple of years I play the Jazz 3 Ultex, these so far are the best for my needs in terms of sound.

BUT, I've ordered a few Jazztones 203's and there is a slight chance these would be "better" soundwise for my needs.

Go, figure, right?

Reactions: sb3
I tried lots of different picks about 10 years ago. Even tried a 35$ Bluechip, Wegen picks, D'andrea picks and lots of different cheaper picks.

Ended up liking the Dunlop jazz iii Xl the most, and have been using those ever since.
I like the sound the most, perfect size for me, and the textured surface helps if my hands get sweaty.

As others have mentioned going for the red ones is a good idea if you happen to lose them on stage.
On a dark stage with black floors a black pick is almost impossible to find.

One pick to rule them all….Haha

This is a pick forged in silver
My sister got me this as a Christmas gift two years ago.

It sounds interesting but I’d rather not break my strings nor scratch my guitars.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.jpeg
    IMG_1434.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
I’d not call myself a pick collector as such, but I seem to have a lot. Think it’s down to me loosing them, buying more to replace them and then finding them again :tearsofjoy:
My pick of preference which I’ve used for years is Dunlop nylon .77, don’t often see much love for these. I just don’t like rigid picks.

I have been a religious adherent of jazz 3’s for about 20 years. Red or nothing. Simply could not play with anything else.

Weirdly, I tried a Jeff Loomis pick, and was an instant convert. Don’t really know why, but now I can’t play with my beloved jazz 3s anymore, they’re too small now. I even use this guy when playing ukulele. 🤷‍♂️ It loses the sharp edge, then gets put in the uke case and I get a fresh one for guitar.

1714998277294.png1714998277294.png

I have been a religious adherent of jazz 3’s for about 20 years. Red or nothing. Simply could not play with anything else.

Weirdly, I tried a Jeff Loomis pick, and was an instant convert. Don’t really know why, but now I can’t play with my beloved jazz 3s anymore, they’re too small now. I even use this guy when playing ukulele. 🤷‍♂️ It loses the sharp edge, then gets put in the uke case and I get a fresh one for guitar.

View attachment 139942View attachment 139942
Think I need to try this one out

I used dunlop 2mm for decades, then switched to the flow 1.5mm pointier ones, and have been here for a while.

Gravity Gold Tripp Big Mini. I like being able to switch between the pointy tip for really precise single string work and the rounder tips for strumming. And as an added bonus, it doesn't leave behind pick dandruff of my guitar.
+1 on Gravity Gold. 003 Big Mini 1.0mm my favorite for a while now. Have several varied Gravity's too. :guitar:

Last edited:
I'm a red Jazz 3 user for guitar.

If I need to finger pick guitar, I started using sitar finger picks for index, middle, and ring fingers as well as Black Mountain thumb picks. When properly sized, they don't move around or fly off the fingers.

Back
Top Bottom