Plectrum, lets get picky

He's making a reference to the fact that Trey Anastasio uses Adamas Graphite 2mm picks, which is/was the impetus for basically anyone who uses these, including me. (I've been using them in my rotation since like 1996 or so.)

Edit: Didn't see the other responses yet.

I'm a little confused about the material.

I had not heard of the Rock III but checking the Dunlop website it says that are also nylon.

I'm a long time Tortex Jazz III 1mm (purple) user that switched to JP Jazz III (Ultex) a few years ago. I like the feel of the JP better but I sometimes don't like the pick attack.
If the material on the Rock III is different than the Jazz III, it seems subtle. The Rock III has a beveled tip that glides across the strings pretty well.

So, per the suggestions of many I brought a few more home to tryout. So far the favorite is the White Fang. We’ll see how long the honeymoon stage lasts.

Attachments

• IMG_8860.jpeg
    IMG_8860.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
I have a problem 😂 this is what my desk looks like literally every time I practice
View attachment 139923
Similar to my desk as well. This is a cool subject and easy component of our playing to revisit more often than we think. So many of us can say "I'm a red dunlop jazz III guy" or fill in the blank. I started buying better seats and concert packages in the last two years, which tend to give a box of picks in the "goodie bag". I've had two rounds of Steve Vai picks, as well as Joe Satriani recently from their Satch/Vai tour. It's impressive how much more flexible Joe's picks are from Steve's. And I have been using a super stiff pick with sharp point to maximize Frank Gamble style picking/sweeping for years. But after trying the softer picks I found that it was easier to make more consistent contact and increased speed with the more flexible pick "deeper" into the string. Hmmm, that surprises me. Of course day to day, and pending style of sound dialed, can alter what fits best. Which I think is the theme of this thread. What's easier than grabbing one of those "other" picks on our desk, and experimenting. One thing is for sure - tone and motion are different!

Back
Top Bottom