Please help

sgilsinger

Inspired
I upgraded to FW18.1 yesterday and I am now getting a popping sound when I switch between scenes.Seems to happen when I switch between a clean amp and a high gain amp.I think this has ben discussed before but I can't seem to find the thread.Any and all help is greatly appreciated.I have attached the preset.

Attachments

• Smashbox3 18.00 final scenes 8.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
i'm working through the preset and it definitely pops when switching between amp 1 and amp 2.

i'll post more of what i discover later, but did you know that in your Output block in all Scenes, you are around -11 to -16 dB in volume? i thought maybe that was the problem at first, but changing them all to 0 and it still pops.

but just wanted to point that out in case you were wondering why your levels are so low.

and actually i think i just figured out the problem - set the Bypass mode in each amp block to MUTE instead of THRU. this helps a lot. there is still a pop, but it's much less.

when i bypass all the effects in all scenes, there is no popping when it just switches from amp to amp. i've had a similar issue with Delay blocks and this popping for a while now, so perhaps this is just how it is.

i'm working through the preset and it definitely pops when switching between amp 1 and amp 2.

Chris - I'm at work right now so I can't actively help but: does the preset have a delay and/or reverb block? If so, I thought there was an issue with the delay or reverb switching from the X/Y parameters back in 17.02+ on some presets.

To the OP, was this a preset built fresh in FW18? Or was it converted? Best advice is to copy or write down your preset settings and build a new preset number from scratch. I had to do that when I switched to 17.04 from 16 something. Hope that helps a lil..

Thanks Chris,I will recheck the levels on this preset.I tried different delays after upgrading firmware,I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

it does have a delay and reverb block.

but working on it a bit more, i think the pops are caused by 2 things in this preset:

the Amp blocks both had the Bypass mode set to THRU. setting both to MUTE got rid of a ton of popping. it's still there, but much less just by changing that. of course, with it set to THRU, aside from the popping, the "dry" tone of a bypassed amp still went through the preset and took away from the other amp's effectiveness.

the other thing causing the pops was the drastic changes of the MAIN level in the Output block in each scene. some were -6, some were -16, some were -11. when i set these all to 0 dB, then re-adjusted the Amp block Output Level parameters (since one amp was being reduced by -16 dB due to the MAIN setting), i get no popping among Scenes even with all effects on.

i usually don't do this, but here is an adjusted version of the preset with the Amps balanced to 0 on the new horizontal VU meters. i HIGHLY suggest you try to edit the preset as i mention above on your own so you can get used to setting the Amp block Bypass mode to MUTE when you make presets like this.

but if you want to compare after, try this one, labeled EDITED: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3ox9qa5rjtfpw1/Smashbox3 18.00 final scenes 8 EDITED.syx?dl=0

once i turn off Axe-Edit, if i spin the A knob on the Axe to change scenes quickly, i get no pops or clicks and go through 1-5 very quickly.

Last edited:
ibanezfreak4, I have been using this same preset for several firmware upgrades,with some tweaking to the EQ and Levels along the way.I think my delay is different on this preset.

ibanezfreak4, I have been using this same preset for several firmware upgrades,with some tweaking to the EQ and Levels along the way.I think my delay is different on this preset.

Cool man, yeah I would just suggest (especially with the amp changes) just a fresh preset on a different number even. Sounds like a lot of work I know but if you're proficient at Axe-Edit, you should be "pop-less" in a relatively short amount of time. Just my 2 cents mate.

Chris,I am still pretty new to all of this, do you have any suggestions on how I can make this preset sound better,(more clarity,better sustain).Thanks

Thanks Chris,so I should adjust the level of each scene using the Amp levels and not the Output level?

hmm, technically yes, but it needs to be balanced in general first.

if you are reducing a scene by 16 dB, which is a LOT, perhaps you need to reduce the Amp level first.

the Output Level in the Amp block (it's just called Level in Axe-Edit, on the right side of the knobs) is agreed upon as the best way to balance your overall volume for a preset. since you are using 2 amps in a single preset, you need to adjust each one so they balance compared to one another. use the preset i uploaded to see what i did.

i plan on making a new video that discusses the new VU meter in the Utility menu, the one with horizontal bars. but this older video is basically the same concept with the older Utility displace, the vertical meters.

Full Article: Why are my Axe-Fx Clip Lights turning on? What is Clipping? | AxeFxTutorials.com

since you are new to this, maybe get the concept down for a single amp block first. then if you have a 2nd amp block like this preset, do the same thing for the 2nd amp. from there, if you have 2 Scenes that use the same amp block, yet want different levels, you can't adjust the Output Level in the amp block anymore since any changes within blocks are shared among all Scenes. that's when you can use the MAIN level in the Output block to adjust levels among scenes slightly. that MAIN level is saved per scene. again, the Output Level in the Amp block (or any other parameter in a block) is NOT saved per scene.

i might also suggest my premium tutorial that discusses Presets, XY Switching and Scenes in detail. many have gotten a big jump start after watching it. i also discuss using 2 Amp blocks for up to 4 amps in a single preset.

http://selz.co/1p5JF79

Back
Top Bottom