Confirmed please delete

While I was already jumpy about an Axe IV even a year or half a year ago, now I honestly believe it's still a ways away. There's nothing the Axe III can't do (actually better) from a modeling standpoint that other modelers are able to do. Connectivity is the best of its league while ease of use could only be realistically an issue until you start using Axe-Edit. And as we can see every now and then there are still new amp models, features, QoL tweaks added that indicate there's still active development going on for it. Also, Cliff mentioned once how the primary reason for an Axe IV would be the availability of much better-faster-powerful DSP but even if it happened (I don't know) the Axe IV would still have to be designed, coded, prototyped, tweaked, tested, finalized, manufactured and released. This alone would take at least a year to two years imo. So my guess is exactly that - maybe in a year or two. But it's honestly not a necessity at this point. The Axe III is still far convincing and good enough not to warrant a version IV.

Also, Cliff mentioned once how the primary reason for an Axe IV would be the availability of much better-faster-powerful DSP but even if it happened (I don't know) the Axe IV would still have to be designed, coded, prototyped, tweaked, tested, finalized, manufactured and released.

Pretty much this. Just check in on developments in DSP occasionally and you will pretty much know if/when a IV may be coming. Most development right now is for AI and communications-centric applications. Maybe these translate, maybe not, so I am not exactly holding my breath that something new and amazing will soon be released that gathers Fractal's excitement and attention.

If the III wasn't so easy to hit 80% on, then I might be inclined to agree with all the naysayers. The reality is though, it is easy to hit, so bring on the IV........there's plenty to choose from the wish list too, if you're looking for what the III can't do. And again, remember, no one will be forced to upgrade......biggrin.gif

If the III wasn't so easy to hit 80% on, then I might be inclined to agree with all the naysayers. The reality is though, it is easy to hit, so bring on the IV........there's plenty to choose from the wish list too, if you're looking for what the III can't do. And again, remember, no one will be forced to upgrade......View attachment 140224

Which requires more, better, faster DSP... It's a big 'ole unavoidable circle of progress.

To me, the issue is less about the fact that the III (and currently the II) is still very powerful even 3, or even 10 years from now, versus the fact that within less than a year, presets and Youtube videos and the overall ecosystem will migrate somehow fast to the IV as far as content publishing. Then you may or not be able to load a really good preset from a good YouTube post written for the IV. I personally migrated from a very high end Eventide processor to the AxeFXIII mostly because of the community so staying in the most recent device is relatively important from that angle.

Careful what you wish for? New major hardware revisions have often meant end of life for previous versions' operating system. I am really happy with where Cygnus is at on the platform, and do not relish a complete change of focus at this time. I don't know about y'all, but I feel like I've been through a time warp and life is just starting to pick up again, in spite of everything.

If the III wasn't so easy to hit 80% on, then I might be inclined to agree with all the naysayers. The reality is though, it is easy to hit, so bring on the IV........there's plenty to choose from the wish list too, if you're looking for what the III can't do. And again, remember, no one will be forced to upgrade......View attachment 140224
Isn’t there more than one version of III? Right now they sell III and III MK2 Turbo. Is there another older III?

Careful what you wish for? New major hardware revisions have often meant end of life for previous versions' operating system. I am really happy with where Cygnus is at on the platform, and do not relish a complete change of focus at this time. I don't know about y'all, but I feel like I've been through a time warp and life is just starting to pick up again, in spite of everything.
Not sure why this matters.....it's not like the III will be rendered inoperable when the IV is released.

As I look back at all the incredible music that's been produced in my lifetime (practically all of it with no where near the amount of tools available these days), I feel wondering about when a IV is coming out is a moot point. A talking point, sure...but ultimately futile IMHO. Particularly in the context of the OP's first post.

To the OP, make music with what's available now. You or any one of us may not be alive tomorrow.

A potential next generation might be able to provide access to all channels and modes of an amp as well as all other types of switches and knobs, perhaps in a layout similar to the real world counterpart, allowing access to parts of the real world amp that we just don't have now, like all combinations of switches and modes in an Ecstasy, Boogie Mark series, or an Engl amp. This might also make possible modeling of idiosyncratic real world features like the mid cut controls on a Herbert.

Post in thread 'Mark IIC+ Amp and its many pull knobs'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/mark-iic-amp-and-its-many-pull-knobs.192339/post-2392004

An amp model is basically a list of component values.

If we were only modeling one amp, like this plug-in does, then having all the pull switches would be easy because behind the scenes you would just select a different list.

But when you are modeling hundreds of amps this becomes difficult.

Yes, from the user's perspective it could be simpler. Unfortunately it is what it is for this generation. Perhaps future generations will solve this limitation.

I find these threads "when the AXE 4 is coming out" as being ignorant and insulting to Cliff. Cliff owes us nothing......period. Be happy with the current platform and enjoy all of the amazing firmware enhancements that seemingly come out every month or so. To me, the latest Cygnus firmware is flat out amazing.

I find these threads "when the AXE 4 is coming out" as being ignorant and insulting to Cliff. Cliff owes us nothing......period. Be happy with the current platform and enjoy all of the amazing firmware enhancements that seemingly come out every month or so. To me, the latest Cygnus firmware is flat out amazing.
I find this statement very ignorant. No one said anything about being owed anything. If anything, I bet Cliff is very proud that people are clamoring for his next creation.

Discussing improvements is welcome by FAS, which is why there are wish lists on this forum, and why they're taken seriously. All discussions need to be civil and respectful, but the act of discussing potential improvements is not some act of sacrilege; it's a sign of enthusiasm and love for the company. There are many companies who can only wish for so passionate of a user base.

It would quite possibly stop getting updated. That's been the Fractal M.O. so far.

A lot of people would prefer that doesn't happen...

I am still on Axe fx II. The fact that it isn’t updated anymore also gives some rest. You have to do it with what you’ve got. No constant preset tweaks anymore because of new FW changes and so. No wishes. This is what it is. That means more time for playing. There is something to say for that.

If the Axe fx III wasn’t 3U I would probably have upgraded. But for me it’s too big and I think the big screen doesn’t look nice. So that’s another argument (for me) for the Axe IV: a smaller form factor….

Back
Top Bottom