Play over a big synth drone - good for intros

I understood that wrong :)
But this should be possible isn't it: play any drone note you want, play over it and then pick any other drone you want, play it, and play over that drone note. Different approach but the same outcome.

how will the axe know whether the note you are playing is intended for the synth, or for the amp? the input for the synth has to be something other than guitar notes

btw - you can attach a modifier to the "shift" parameter, which will give you discrete semitones up or down from whichever note is selected via the frequency parameter
Tried that.
Frequency to 130.81
Set modifier for shift min to -24 and max to +24
I had to set the offset to 0.8% to get the middle C at a CC value of 63
When sending different CC values, hardly any was in tune :(
So this is quite useless as well.
I guess I'll have to stick to using my Motif;)

But when I

you have to adjust the cc values, so that the resulting note is at pitch. the axe synth will never replace your motif, but it's pretty good for certain things. if you explain exactly what you're trying to achieve, i can help you out with a patch

That's what I did.
I sent CC values with MidiOx but here's what I get:
So I start with a center frequency of 261.6 (C4)
Modifier attached to Shift:
Min: -24
Max: *24
Offset: 0.8%
Start value of CC#19 (Extern 4): 63 - this is supposed to be the middle frequency:
127: 1046.59Hz C6 +0.14 cents
126: 1035.48Hz C6 -18.34 cents
125: 1013.11Hz B5 +43.86 cents
124: 991.21Hz B5 + 6.02 cents
123: 969.77Hz B5 - 31.83 cents
122: 948.81Hz A#5 + 30.33 cents
121: 928.31Hz A#5 - 7.48 cents
120: 908.27Hz A#5 - 45.26 cents
119: 888.70Hz A5 + 17.02 cents
118: 869.58Hz A5 -20.63 cents
117: 850.67Hz G#5 + 41.33 cents
116: 832.35Hz G#5 + 3.63 cents (almost in tune but good enough)
115: 814.37Hz G#5 - 34.19 cents
114: 796.84Hz G5 + 28.13 cents

So as you can see this won't work.
A bit logical too since I only need 49 steps.
But I thought the logical thing would be that after 87 the pitch would remain at +24 from the base frequency end at 29 it would remain at -24.
But it seems it doesn't shift half notes but frequency increments.
Well, multiplications to be exact: 1.022
So I thought I might try something:
1. Since I only have 49 increments, I should only focus on CC values between 39 and 87
2. I have to adjust the slope and hope I get (almost) perfect pitch every time

and behold: IT WORKED!!!
:triumphant::triumphant::triumphant::triumphant:

Use the following settings:
  • Frequency: 261.6 Hz (C4)
  • Attach modifier to Shift
  • Min: -24
  • Max: +24
  • Scale: 2.646
  • Offset: 2.09%

Almost perfect pitch every time: max. variation of about 0.1 cent

Just spent about an hour playing around with this, felt like 10mins. Friggin' fun patch man. Thanks, Simeon.

if you want to streamline the flow a bit, attach the pedal you're using to control the level of the drone to the delay input gain, drive mix and the reverb time. as you fade out the drone, you essentially "morph" from a lead to a rhythm sound

So what would be the best way of playing notes on the fly with the benefit of effects spill over ... using scenes to change the synth drone notes?

Give that man a cigar....if it works, that's friggin genius. You'd only need 7 scenes to get a complete scale. Try it and report back!

:LOL Genius? Not so much ... Trust me!

Now if we could take those 7 scale notes and use them to trigger arpeggios for m7, M7, dom7 and dim chords scene-by-scene while we solo over the top? :)

How would you control the Synth notes while changing scenes?

In theory? The synth block frequency assignment for the drone note would be different per scene. That's for a single note.

Maybe multiple synth blocks in preset could be used to drone jazz chords (or at least the root, 3rd & 7th) and you would change chords in a jazz progression by changing scenes with different frequency assignment in the synth blocks of each scene.

:lol in theory that is! Just thinking out loud here :)

yes, that's the theory and with two synth blocks, you'd have 6 notes at your disposal. unfortunately a quick test i just did didn't work. the frequency assignment is remembered across all scenes, so you can't set up each scene to be a different chord. with two blocks and x/y for each block, you could in theory set up 4 chords with scenes, but there's no x/y for the synth block.

this would be a great feature to have though....you could pretty much set up any chord sequence you wanted (intro to shine on you crazy diamond, or maybe streets have no name?). not sure if it's possible, but i think i'll put in a wish for it and see what cliff says.

yes, that's the theory and with two synth blocks, you'd have 6 notes at your disposal. unfortunately a quick test i just did didn't work. the frequency assignment is remembered across all scenes, so you can't set up each scene to be a different chord. with two blocks and x/y for each block, you could in theory set up 4 chords with scenes, but there's no x/y for the synth block.

this would be a great feature to have though....you could pretty much set up any chord sequence you wanted (intro to shine on you crazy diamond, or maybe streets have no name?). not sure if it's possible, but i think i'll put in a wish for it and see what cliff says.

If anyone can do it Clifford can! :encouragement:

Maybe It's wrong but...
If I use the pink patch by fremen (two synt chords using expression pedal to morph from one to other)
and i use another synt block with the same expression pedal morphing from chord 3 to chord 4 (with my second expression pedal set up to cross fade from synt block 1 to synt block 2) I should be able to play 4 synt chords isn't it?
So shine on is done :)
Maybe I'm somehow wrong!

Back
Top Bottom