Placebo effect?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
I was just thinking how funny it would be for Cliff and the FAS team to release a new FW listing a bunch of non-existant changes (in other words, exactly the same FW), and then sit back and watch all the "this FW is not as good as FWx" and "this FW is the best yet" posts :)

Guitarists are such a bunch of neurotic people (myself included) when it comes to tone!

Given the variable opinions in new fw threads i can imagine the replies being equally variable.

Last edited:
Without sounding like a total FAS fanboy I don't quite understand how they could upgrade the amp modeling in a drastic change anymore. (even the Ultra can sound just like a real amp and how many firmwares later are we now?) F.ex. we tried matching a real Mark IV with the USA LEAD sim around FW10 and the tone match was almost completely flat. When we A/B'd the matched and unmatched tone it was exactly the same but Axe-Fx was clearer. So it killed all my real amp GAS since I originally got my Standard Axe-Fx years ago by trading my Mark IV for it.

So... all this "this sounds so much worse/better than the last FW" after MIMIC was introduced is IMO mostly in people's heads. The changes are there for sure... like FW12, I had to raise the bass for most of my patches but after I did that... I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

Personally I feel like the Axe-Fx is already ahead of what people would expect it to be able to do. I think people don't have problems with their tones in the Axe-Fx but getting it out in a proper way. That's what I'm struggling with.

Without sounding like a total FAS fanboy I don't quite understand how they could upgrade the amp modeling in a drastic change anymore. (even the Ultra can sound just like a real amp and how many firmwares later are we now?) F.ex. we tried matching a real Mark IV with the USA LEAD sim around FW10 and the tone match was almost completely flat. When we A/B'd the matched and unmatched tone it was exactly the same but Axe-Fx was clearer. So it killed all my real amp GAS since I originally got my Standard Axe-Fx years ago by trading my Mark IV for it.

So... all this "this sounds so much worse/better than the last FW" after MIMIC was introduced is IMO mostly in people's heads. The changes are there for sure... like FW12, I had to raise the bass for most of my patches but after I did that... I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

Personally I feel like the Axe-Fx is already ahead of what people would expect it to be able to do. I think people don't have problems with their tones in the Axe-Fx but getting it out in a proper way. That's what I'm struggling with.

I have to agree. In my opinion, as far as amps go, there is little room for improvement. We are already there for the most part. IRs is where the game will be decided.

Without sounding like a total FAS fanboy I don't quite understand how they could upgrade the amp modeling in a drastic change anymore.

So... all this "this sounds so much worse/better than the last FW" after MIMIC was introduced is IMO mostly in people's heads.

Totally agree. v10 was a game changer for me. Since v10 I almost laugh at all the posts saying "the new FW sounds SOOOOO much better". I'm certainly grateful anytime new features come out, but as far as the raw amp tone...it was good, it's still good, and the changes have been subtle.

Well my birthday is on the 13th.... but I missed being 13 on Friday the 13th by one day... dodged that bullet? :shock

A lot of the recent changes have had more to do with feel and dynamics than anything else. Depending on the amp model, particularly high master volume type amps, the change could be extremely subtle to significant.

A lot of the recent changes have had more to do with feel and dynamics than anything else. Depending on the amp model, particularly high master volume type amps, the change could be extremely subtle to significant.

Agreed...since I generally use amps with high master volumes I'm finding the latest upgrades bring increased dynamics/attack which allow for a better feel that I like.

I was just thinking how funny it would be for Cliff and the FAS team to release a new FW listing a bunch of non-existant changes (in other words, exactly the same FW)

Hee hee... I've previously suggested on a few occasions that Cliff gets a kick out of telling everyone how great something now is - and then sits back laughing like a pixie at the resultant furore over nothing but a statement! ;)

Well my birthday is on the 13th.... but I missed being 13 on Friday the 13th by one day... dodged that bullet? :shock

my birthday was a friday the 13th. I'm not the least bit superstitious about the number 13. I say bring on FW 13!

I don't really care at all about anything other than what I feel from the amp, how it interacts with my fine dynamic techniques, and how it sounds - These new scene controllers, scenes in general and the new amps are awesome. BUT... honestly - tone is paramount - Who needs anything else until the tone is there - Icing on the cake.

I am noticing the biggest changes in touch response / dynamics in this latest FW12 - HUGE - I only now feel that I want to play through the Axe as my first choice even before any of my real amps (Or equally with them) "Authentic" is working excellent for my way of playing - I love it.

This time FW12.xx presents the most REAL changes, in areas which to me are the most acute tests of a modeller. Most noticeably to me is on the cleaner, lower gain and especially the Non Master Volume stuff. The way the Axe interacts with my guitar is much more accurate, my tone control changes are translating in a bigger way. Especially noticeable is the way the Axe responds to my guitar volume knob. I am a high dynamics and volume control roller - I can now go through several sound "layers" like a 6 or 8 channel amp using the volume controller and going down to around 4 and seeing incremental changes at .5 intervals all the way up to 10 then adding my dynamic techniques and it is just AMAZING.

This time there is no mass hysteria - placebo - peer pressure/influences - I for one just don't care what the guys here say - It's just me, my fingers and my ears - I LIKE IT A LOT - This is an awesome time to be a guitar player. Kind of like how some older folks were around from the time of covered wagons, and some actually lived to see a man set foot on the moon - Maybe even a cell phone. I honestly hated my first modellers, that it was a pipe dream. I bought a 11 from Sweetwater and sent it back as fast as I could slap a label on the box - I wanted to like them, (Face it, I am a geek at heart) But... Now, I am loving it. Before FW 12, I was more amused and impressed with the progress getting close, but I wasn't sold. Now - I AM FINALLY SOLD - I had the most awesome weekend of playing that I can recall in ages - I wanted to explore so much more but honestly spent several hours just playing - just playing - I wasn't worried about finding my tone, I was inspired by playing with my tonessss.!!! Seriously happy and inspired guitar player here!

Thanks Cliff and team.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom