Pitch block is undesirably delayed

gaaarfild

When my pitch block is enabled for example in octaver mode, I hear the distinct attack delay of the pitched sound. First I hear the guitars pitch and then after 50-100ms I start to hear the pitched sound. So they don’t start at the same time. Is it normal or I just forgot some knob to turn?

Not at my Axfx to test but one possibility is that you are hearing the unshifted picked note accoustically. If playing at lower volume and experiencing this problem, try listening thru some enclosed headphones to rule out or confirm this possibility.

Not at my Axfx to test but one possibility is that you are hearing the unshifted picked note accoustically. If playing at lower volume and experiencing this problem, try listening thru some enclosed headphones to rule out or confirm this possibility.
I'm pretty sure it's not an acoustic attack sound. Because anyways I would notice such a massive latency of the normal overdriven attack sound.
I clearly hear an overdriven sound, and then after 50-100ms, I hear a pitched overdriven sound.
The Pitch block is placed before the amp, in case it's important to know.

Not normal. There’s some lag but it’s nothing like what you’re describing. Don’t know how you’d go about fixing it. Does the VC do the same thing?

When my pitch block is enabled for example in octaver mode, I hear the distinct attack delay of the pitched sound. First I hear the guitars pitch and then after 50-100ms I start to hear the pitched sound. So they don’t start at the same time. Is it normal or I just forgot some knob to turn?

There's a known problem where you can get a latency of over 50ms with the pitch shifter under some circumstances, so you might be running into that:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/virtual-capo.191403/#post-2378905

What is your mix set to in the block? Or is it in a parallel path?

As Yek said, post the preset.

I also noticed increased latency when changing pitch with pitch block
That’s the nature of the beast. Any pitch block will require some time to process the signal.

"The better the pitch shifting, the more the latency. It's a perceptual process. There is no mathematically perfect way to do it. Also, when you pitch shift, the sound coming from the speakers doesn't reinforce the strings (since it's at a different frequency) so you don't get sustain and feedback harmonics." [8]
"A low E has a period of about 12 ms. This means you have to buffer at least 12 ms to shift anything from low E and up. To also work with bass then low E is 24 ms."
"Pitch shifting necessarily adds latency. Pitch shifting is a perceptual process. It requires a reasonable amount of history to work. This adds latency. Typically 20ms and up. Some people are more tolerant to latency than others. I've compared the latency of our algorithm to other products and ours is equal or better but there is latency in any pitch shifter. All pitch shifters have tradeoffs. The lower the latency the more prone they are to tremolo artifacts, double transients and other issues. Solving those issues increases the latency and the computational burden. The only pitch shifting algorithm that has negligible latency is the "Rollers" algorithm but that requires insane amounts of CPU and the samples I've heard aren't impressive. It also has its share of issues (smearing, chirping)."
CPU usage and latency” has more information.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom