Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb - 1st Solo Tutorial & Tab

Matoshi

Inspired
Hi,

I'm new to the Axe FX II world and I love it!
Yesterday I recorded a little tutorial video of the first Comfortably Numb solo for my YouTube channel and took the chance to practice my patch building skills (hooray for looping and reamping!). I could not find an isolated recording of the original for ToneMatch and I don't own a Strat anyway, so I just tried to create something that sounds similar enough and works with my backing track. It was a nice learning experience, I know the front panel a lot better now :mrgreen

Anyway, here's the video, maybe someone here finds it useful. :)

BTW, the links to the tab and backing track are in the video description, if someone's interested.

EDIT:
Forgot to post the links:
My YouTube channel: Borna Matosic - YouTube
Direct link to the video: Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb - 1st Solo Tutorial & Tab - YouTube

Last edited:
GREAT!!! And that exposition of the slow playing with the TAB in the front is better than most of the commercial Instruction DVD's on the market

Thank you for sharing it

Thank you, I'm glad you like it! Yeah, that tab-in-video solution is something that I've always wished for when watching other tutorials, but I've never seen anyone do it like that. :)

Great job - Thx for sharing. I saved the bookmark for the weekend! Now we need the second solo! ;) PS: love the tone. Can you share the settings?

Thank you, I'm glad you like it! Yeah, that tab-in-video solution is something that I've always wished for when watching other tutorials, but I've never seen anyone do it like that. :)

I agree.... That was simply amazing. Liked it very much! Nice job and welcome!
Can I ask what/how you used to do that tab explanation while playing? Software you used? Very cool stuff

Thank you for the nice welcome and comments everyone! :)

Now we need the second solo! ;) PS: love the tone. Can you share the settings?

The second solo is in the making. Finished the tab a while ago and need to build the backing track now. ;)

I did a bit of research to find out what equipment Gilmour used in the recording sessions for the song and tried to rebuild his rig in the Axe. The "Mr. Floyd" stock preset is a good starting point. I took that and started changing it until It looked like this:

(I'll only include the values that I think I tweaked, rest should be like in the stock preset or default values)

Tap tempo is 127 bpm.

Compressor
Drive (Pi Fuzz, 1.45 Drive, 5.11 Tone)

Drive is connected to two Amp/Cab combinations that run in parallel. One is dry and the other has all the effects. In the stock preset I moved everything that came after Cab 1 to the top row, so Amp 1 and Cab 1 are on the dry row with almost unchanged settings:
Amp 1 (Hipower Normal, 0.95 Drive, FAT & BRT OFF, SAT ON, Pick Attack 100%)
Cab 1 (goes straight to Out)

The top row then looks like this:
Amp 2 (Double Verb, 5.00 Drive, the rest is default I think)
Cab 2 (Factory 65 = 4x12 Cali)
Chorus (45.7% Mix)
Rotary (0.529Hz, Tempo 1, Mix 50%)
Delay (Digital Stereo, 22% Mix, Time 472ms, Tempo 1/4)
Reverb (Medium Room, 16% Mix), goes straight to Out.

Both rows are at 0db on the Out page. That's it. I recorded in Cubase and afterwards I added some more Reverb to make it blend better with the backing track.

I hope the description is clear. If not, feel free to ask in detail ;)

I'd be willing to upload the patch to AxeChange, but that doesn't work until the new AxeEdit is released, no?

Can I ask what/how you used to do that tab explanation while playing? Software you used? Very cool stuff
Sure! Pretty simple once you figure it out, actually. I used a program called AVS Screen Capture to film the tablature while it was playing in Guitar Pro (200% Zoom and horizontal playback). I used Adobe Premiere to cut the video of me playing and to put the tablature movie on top of it. The most difficult part was finding a way to import the tab movie in Premiere. I failed multiple times until I found a working combination (AVS Screen Capture should be set to record in WMV format).

Do you have a link to your you tube channel?
Sorry, I should have put that in the OP :)
My channel: Borna Matosic - YouTube
Direct link to the video: Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb - 1st Solo Tutorial & Tab - YouTube

Tell you what..... Think you know a solo? Try it like that in the second part, slowed down. Nice job!

Nice man... can't believe you nailed that so well on a Loomis of all guitars... I miss mine :(

that tab-in-video solution is something that I've always wished for when watching other tutorials, but I've never seen anyone do it like that. :)

Have you seen groovenut's LPD Tone Clone series? He's been doing a similar thing for a while.

Tell you what..... Think you know a solo? Try it like that in the second part, slowed down. Nice job!
Haha yeah definitely! That was the hardest part ;)

Nice man... can't believe you nailed that so well on a Loomis of all guitars... I miss mine :(
Thanks! I bought that guitar just recently and am very pleasently surprised! I had played it before in our local music store and knew that it had all the features and feels great, but I was absolutely sure that I would rip out the EMGs and replace them with Dimarzios ASAP. But when I plugged it into the Axe FX for the first time, I changed my mind, because the sound is so incredibly tweakable! :)

Have you seen groovenut's LPD Tone Clone series? He's been doing a similar thing for a while.

Very cool! I just checked his videos out on YouTube and you're right, it's the same idea! Clever guy ;)

Back
Top Bottom