PigWeed - A Hero's Return

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
It's been a couple of weeks since my last track... and I wanted to create a new track using my Ibanez 6 stringer... I ended up using Dropped-D tuning. The cool thing is that my bass tuning sounded best when I stayed at my usual Dropped Bb tuning... pretty cool actually. For this track it was the first time I had ever even thought about using a "low gain" amp. After auditioning several of the amps I ended up using the JCM 800. In combination with the stock neck pickup on my Ibanez guitar it actually sounded much better than I ever thought I could get! I'm going to have to try the JCM800 sim at practice.

I started creating this track two weeks ago and I was itching to complete it that same day... but as luck would have it, I had to leave to a work related conference and I was pretty much gone all week. So I was able to get the main "heavy" riff and the verse riff completed before I left then I mp3'd the file and loaded it on my phone. With that I was able to mentally work out the direction of where I wanted the song to go...

Anyhow... most people always apologize about how sloppy their playing was or how bad their mixes are... I'm guilty of that myself. But this time I have to say that this is probably some of my best work... I was very happy with my chords and my performance... and for the first time I didn't purposefully let the track clip at all...

I especially love the last ending chord voicing...

I really wanted to create vocals for this track but I'm drawing a complete blank... the song title has several interpretations... one is the return of our Lord Jesus Christ and the battle that the endured for us... and waiting for his return. The second interpretation is the return of our troops that fight for us and our families so that we can have the freedom to babble on forums like this and speak our minds.

Much Love...

PigWeed - A Hero's Return (SoundClick)

JOHNNYROCKIT said:
mortega76 said:
this is probably some of my best work...

+1 ....on that. ;) I really enjoyed that one, thanks!

great track Mo!!!

I like the JCM800 tone you got going. I have been trying to get a tone similar to this lately.

that's fantastic. love the guitar tone, and and the drum programming is really excellent. sounds very natural.
I am still jealous of your bass tone, I need a new bass guitar damnit. I think it's going to have to be a spector euro 5

DrMosh said:
that's fantastic. love the guitar tone, and and the drum programming is really excellent. sounds very natural.
I am still jealous of your bass tone, I need a new bass guitar damnit. I think it's going to have to be a spector euro 5

Pull the trigger!!! I have a spector euro 4 that i can tune to B or lower because of the 35 inch scale. After i got my Spector....i won't use any other bass for recording or live! :D

D20 said:
DrMosh said:

Pull the trigger!!! I have a spector euro 4 that i can tune to B or lower because of the 35 inch scale. After i got my Spector....i won't use any other bass for recording or live! :D

I found a great offer on ebay just now, but would be shipped from the US so I gotta work out how much tax I would have to pay. Otherwise I can get them locally for about 2k euros.
The 35" scale and choice of woods on the spector really does it for me.

JOHNNYROCKIT: Thanks a bunch! I've been listening to this track non stop (completed and uncompleted) for the past 2-3 weeks... I really like this one too.

D20: Thanks D... I was cycling through all the sims and the JCM800 just popped out at me, great sim.

DrMosh: Mosh in da hizzzouse!!!! Spector Euro 5 huh? That's one great looking bass... looks like it's going to have a great "growl" to it...

273957.jpg

I'm loving the sound of my Ibanez SR505, crazy thing about this bass is that the low B string sounds thick as fuck! Then the other four sound a bit thinner... strange. I've also had three other Ibanez basses and they were the same way. I've only ever own Ibanez basses so I don't know if it's something inherent to Ibanez or not.

SwambA: Thanks a bunch SwambA... I'm particularly proud of this one because I didn't have to "clip" the track to make it sound "loud enough". I could stand to be a bit louder but then it will start "pumping" like crazy. :D

rsf1977: Thanks!!! I'll load them up tonight!! I was hoping to try out the JCM800 patch at practice yesterday but my wife got sick and I had to stay home... :(

I am at a loss for what the vocal line can be still... I'll keep working on it. Thanks for listening fellas... and let me know how you guys think I can improve the production of this track.

DrMosh said:
D20 said:
DrMosh said:

I found a great offer on ebay just now, but would be shipped from the US so I gotta work out how much tax I would have to pay. Otherwise I can get them locally for about 2k euros.
The 35" scale and choice of woods on the spector really does it for me.

Ebay would be a cool way to go for you it sounds like. I was using my Ernie Ball Stingray for the longest time, but i have always loved Spector's tone and the way they play. (I have always been a big fan of Pantera's bass tone = Spector) Its just the ultimate bass for me. ;)

D20 said:
Ebay would be a cool way to go for you it sounds like. I was using my Ernie Ball Stingray for the longest time, but i have always loved Spector's tone and the way they play. (I have always been a big fan of Pantera's bass tone = Spector) Its just the ultimate bass for me. ;)

It's just the ultimate metal bass in my eyes too :)

Sounds great Mo!

I really like the bass line in this. The chord voicing sounds so badass because of A.) The dynamics and B) the bass line is inverting everything.

MO, this is one hell of a track! I listened to and liked all of your tracks and even have some on my day-to-day MP3-card in my car (e.g. R[a|e]velations).
No matter what you do (like in this track) sound-wise, you always have a perfect blend of aggressiveness, feeling and groove. It's always a pleasure to listen to your stuff.
And the gtr-sound on this track is the best I've heard so far.

Dojo: Thanks for taking the time to take a listen Dojo... :D

Unscarred: Thanks! I used the Axe-fx for all tracks except for drums... :D

Sidivan: Thanks for the great compliments... I never really played bass lines like that in the past, I was more of a finger picking kinda of guy... I let the low notes fly loose as well but not as much as I've been doing lately. I used to do semi-colorful runs, etc... now I'm pretty much living on one string with a pick! Metal bass has to be played with a pick, no two ways about it... I remember when I first tried to play bass with a pick, I actually got tired after a couple of minutes!!! :lol:

joCCe: Thanks Joakim!!! This is the first track that I recording and mixed using Ear Candy Smokin' Bud's... $30 bucks and they sound way better than my $100 Sony's!!!!

RiF: R[a|e]velations) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wow... you rock RiF!!! Thanks for the humbling comments... I really like the "clarity" of the JCM800 sound I got... now I need to work on a distorted patch to match... how come we haven't heard anything new from you in a while bud?

Fusion: Thanks Fusion... I really didn't think my band mates would like this track, but this past Thursday I showed it to them and our percussionist and vocalist (screamer/rapper) was jived about added vocals/screams to this one... I was very surprised.

I've recently updated my computer with Window 7 Ultimate x64 and my midiman 2x2 and my MOTU 324 card were not working... I got another HD and loaded Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and it looks like everything loaded properly with the drivers... I'll try to upload the patches tomorrow night. Thanks again for listening guys... let me know if anyone wants a high quality 192kbps version and I'll upload it.

Hey you got a winner here, I'm so impressed with this from a production perspective, you have some real talent. I'd buy this album today, I mean that. If you lay some vox down, I want you to let me know. You've got some great ideas for a theme and either one of those is a winner for sure. This ones on the IPOD. Keep um coming

Back
Top Bottom