phantom power...

rocketmorton52 said:
Well if the Axe Fx was bought used it COULD have been modified to supply power with an internal transformer.
This is exactly what I did and it works great. (no wall wart for me! :D ).

And do you mind telling us how exactly did you do it? :D

rocketmorton52 said:
Well if the Axe Fx was bought used it COULD have been modified to supply power with an internal transformer.
This is exactly what I did and it works great. (no wall wart for me! :D ).

...and the internal transformer burnt and there is no more power? That could explain it. Wasn't even aware such a thing could be done.

This thread has been so funny! Very interested to see what's the culprit. :lol:

Muris_Varajic said: "And do you mind telling us how exactly did you do it?"

Well all I did was find a 12 volt transformer (me thinks it was AC...don't remember,but it would depend on what your particular
midi pedalyou're using)and mounted it inside the Axe Fx. Then I tapped the 120 AC coming in and took the output of the
transformer and connected it to the 2 conductors that feed the 7 pin midi input jack. It was pretty simple
but requires SOME electronic savy. I contacted Cliff and he said it shouldn't have any adverse affects on the Axe Fx.
Later on in my analness(is that a word?) I added a toggle switch to turn the power on and off so my midi pedal wouldn't have to be "on" all the time.
Probably completely unnecessary but I like to tinker. :)

P.S. I posted pics a year or two back on the old forum but can't find them now.

rocketmorton52 said:

Well all I did was find a 12 volt transformer (me thinks it was AC...don't remember,but it would depend on what your particular
midi pedalyou're using)and mounted it inside the Axe Fx. Then I tapped the 120 AC coming in and took the output of the
transformer and connected it to the 2 conductors that feed the 7 pin midi input jack. It was pretty simple
but requires SOME electronic savy. I contacted Cliff and he said it shouldn't have any adverse affects on the Axe Fx.
Later on in my analness(is that a word?) I added a toggle switch to turn the power on and off so my midi pedal wouldn't have to be "on" all the time.

Very cool...I like it!

wezx said:
rocketmorton52 said:

Very cool...I like it!

I also added a device which through the AXE FX can control
any member of your band in any way shape or form.
It's alot more technical though.

rocketmorton52 said:

Thanks for reply!!! :)

Indeed, transformer should match your regular adapter for midi controller.
I'm no good with that, do all (or most) midi controllers out there use same or similar voltage etc
or is there some major difference between certain controllers when it comes to power?

I'm using Midimate atm but looking forward to MFC-101, how strange. :D

rocketmorton52 said:
I also added a device which through the AXE FX can control
any member of your band in any way shape or form.
It's alot more technical though.

...are you taking order for this device? I'll take two.

Muris_Varajic said:
rocketmorton52 said:

Thanks for reply!!! :)

Indeed, transformer should match your regular adapter for midi controller.
I'm no good with that, do all (or most) midi controllers out there use same or similar voltage etc
or is there some major difference between certain controllers when it comes to power?

I'm using Midimate atm but looking forward to MFC-101, how strange. :D

Well it was intended for the Ground Control Pro but also worked for the Rocktron Midi Mate.I don't know what the MFC-101
requires for voltage or amperage but a Googlization is all it takes.

rocketmorton52 said:
I added a toggle switch to turn the power on and off so my midi pedal wouldn't have to be "on" all the time.

Could you tap AC from the AxeFX' switch, so your pedal would turn on & off with it? Or did you want to be able to toggle them separately?

tubetonez said:
rocketmorton52 said:
I added a toggle switch to turn the power on and off so my midi pedal wouldn't have to be "on" all the time.

Could you tap AC from the AxeFX' switch, so your pedal would turn on & off with it? Or did you want to be able to toggle them separately?

It only toggles the power coming off the 12 volt transformer.

Rocket,

I think you were the one that originally inspired me on the phantom power mod for my FCB (see my sig). Although, I recall *NOTHING* about a transformer IN the AFX. So it might be 2 diff mods.

*EDIT* Nevermind, it was RedBaron.

Here's a photo of my internal "phantom" supply. Power was tapped (in parallel) from GND of the rear power jack, and VAC from the top contact of the front panel power switch. Both Axe and LF turn on with the switch this way.
The 9VAC socket was moved inside the chassis and connected to the LF power supply. High-strength velcro was used to secure everything, and the wall-wart is practically glued into the corner by it. But just in case, I'll probably upgrade to a more secure and permanent arrangement in the future.
Cheers!

fa46909e.jpg

WOW, if there's so much free space inside, why not have a mixer in there and tap a headphone jack? Most people on this forum want a headphones out anyways. hmm. :roll: :)

Yeah, I was also a little surprised at how empty the chassis was. I really wish i didn't have to lug around this giant steel box in a rackbag wherever I play. You'd think this could all be built into a floorboard without much trouble... *hint-hint*. ;)

michaelconnor said:
Here's a photo of my internal "phantom" supply. Power was tapped (in parallel) from GND of the rear power jack, and VAC from the top contact of the front panel power switch. Both Axe and LF turn on with the switch this way.
The 9VAC socket was moved inside the chassis and connected to the LF power supply. High-strength velcro was used to secure everything, and the wall-wart is practically glued into the corner by it. But just in case, I'll probably upgrade to a more secure and permanent arrangement in the future.
Cheers!

fa46909e.jpg

That's sweeeeet!!

rocketmorton52, does your invention look similar to this?

michaelconnor said:
Yeah, I was also a little surprised at how empty the chassis was. I really wish i didn't have to lug around this giant steel box in a rackbag wherever I play. You'd think this could all be built into a floorboard without much trouble... *hint-hint*. ;)
The space is necessary for proper cooling of the processor. Since the Axe-FX does not have vents, possibly to prevent dust building up inside, it needs a lot of space to provide dissipation. That's why there isn't a floor version. Yet. Cliff stated a floor box would not be able to provide the cooling necessary for a TigerSHARC.

All of this, except for Cliff's quote, is conjecture, BTW. I'm not an electronics engineer. Sounds plausible, no?

Back
Top Bottom