phantom power...

virgil

Experienced
Hello to you all,
Guys I`m in the middle of a tour and I`m in trouble..
I play Ultra and Ground controll Pro..
But yesterday night my phanthom power stopped..
I checked everything..the midi cable is good
The GCP is ok....
The guitar tech said to me that Ultra doesn`t send
the phantompower to GCP..
At this moment I don`t know what to do..
Still I can power and switch patches with GCP ..but with an adapter at 9 volts..
Maybe some of you knows what to do !
Any advice ,any help will be much apreciated..

You can also try another MIDI cable. Even though the other wires in the cable might be fine one of the power ones may be bad. I have had that happen before. How did you determine the cable was good? There really isn't much to the phantom power. It takes the power from your adapter and routes it to 2 of the MIDI pins.

Mike Snider said:
can you confirm that the 9v was securely plugged into the back of the fractal...and your power source?

Thank you for your fast response...but but I didn`t use any adapter before..it was only the midi cable and trough this the phantompower was sent
I started to use the adaptor only when my GCP doesn`t lit up and I plugged the adapter
into GCP not in the back of ULTRA...

javajunkie said:
You can also try another MIDI cable. Even though the other wires in the cable might be fine one of the power ones may be bad. I have had that happen before. How did you determine the cable was good? There really isn't much to the phantom power. It takes the power from your adapter and routes it to 2 of the MIDI pins.

Thank you javajunkie,
They said the midi cable is good `cause they measured it..
But I will try another cable...
Can you think of another scenario ?or do you think that
something inside ULTRA broked -burned ?
if so,what do I have to do ?

virgil said:
Mike Snider said:
can you confirm that the 9v was securely plugged into the back of the fractal...and your power source?

Thank you for your fast response...but but I didn`t use any adapter before..it was only the midi cable and trough this the phantompower was sent
I started to use the adaptor only when my GCP doesn`t lit up and I plugged the adapter

Not possible. The Axe-Fx doesn't provide phantom power on its own. It requires an adapter which connects to the input at the rear of the Axe-Fx (above MIDI IN) and then sends that power via the MIDI cable to the footcontroller.

So: (re)connect the adapter to the rear of the Axe-Fx, connect the MIDI cable and see if the footcontroller is powered again.

yek said:
virgil said:
Mike Snider said:

Not possible. The Axe-Fx doesn't provide phantom power on its own. It requires an adapter which connects to the input at the rear of the Axe-Fx (above MIDI IN) and then sends that power via the MIDI cable to the footcontroller.

So: (re)connect the adapter to the rear of the Axe-Fx, connect the MIDI cable and see if the footcontroller is powered again.

..and I`m telling you:
I didn`t have any adapter connected to the rear of my ULTRA...
It was only the midicable plugged in ULTRA`s midi IN then into the OUT of the GROUND CONT.PRO...
I`m telling you that`s how I played for 1 year and half..untill yesterday night when my GCR stopped
so I put an adaptor ( 9V ) into the 9 volts input of my GCP..
That`s all I did..so What happened ?

What else is in your rack, a GCX maybe? Because that can phantom power the GCP without an adapter.

Impossible. The Axe-Fx does not supply phantom power. You MUST connect an adapter to the Phantom Power In jack.

Does the GCP have a battery, by any chance? There is no way the midi cable can feed it power unless a suitable AC adaptor is plugged into the back of the Axe-FX. The Axe-FX midi phantom power is just a carrier, you have to supply it with appropriate power.

So could that GCP have been self-powered (i.e. battery) during that time?

Otherwise, your Axe-FX is possessed. Send it back to Fractal for an exorcism.

Dpoirier said:

I think he's out of luck then - section 4.5.3a in the end user licensing agreement specifically stated that any fees associated with exorcism is the sole responsibility of the owner.

Dpoirier said:
Does the GCP have a battery, by any chance? There is no way the midi cable can feed it power unless a suitable AC adaptor is plugged into the back of the Axe-FX. The Axe-FX midi phantom power is just a carrier, you have to supply it with appropriate power.

So could that GCP have been self-powered (i.e. battery) during that time?

Jesus Christ and Mother of Jesus !!!!
Guys I`m not crazy and I didn`t loose my mind...
I say it loud and clear:
I plug the midi cable in the rear of my ULTRA in the midi IN slot..then I
plug into the OUT slot in the Ground Control Pro..
That`s all I ever did and that`s the way I played for 1 year and a half...
Now you tell me it`s not possible...but I`m telling you; IT IS...
No other AC adaptor...till now when I had to plug this AC adaptor in the GCP slot (9volts)...
..Maybe Dpoirier is right..Could be possible that GCP to have an internal battery ?
I don`t know..I use it for 4 years with other set ups..
I have to check this and if it`s a battery there I have to change it.
I hope that`s the problem otherwise
I will be send my ULTRA to you for an exorcism and I will end in a hospital with
mental problem...
Very weird and I still need your help..
Maybe some of you knows if there is a battery in GCP that provide the power of it?????

regardless of previous experience...
plug the foot controllers power adapter into the back of the fractal, use a 7 pin midi cable from fractal to foot controller, and you are in business.
this will follow the design specs on the fractal.

Text from the GCP manual-

To use the supplied power adaptor, plug the body of the adaptor into a suitable power receptacle.
Then plug the cable into the jack marked “Power” on the Ground Control Pro.
If you have the GCX Guitar Audio Switcher, you don’t need to use the supplied power adapter.
The GCX will phantom power the Ground Control Pro through a standard 5-pin MIDI cable.
Note: If your Ground Control Pro doesn’t power up from the GCX, here’s the problem…
MIDI only requires 3 pins, so to save money some cables only have these 3 pins
wired. Since the GCX uses the 2 unused pins to send phantom power, these cables
won’t work! You need to make sure your cable has all 5 pins wired. Cables with all
5 pins wired are often labeled “5-Pin Active”.
If you are not using the GCX, but have a device that supports phantom power via a 7-pin MIDI
cable, this device can power the Ground Control Pro. Connect the 7-pin MIDI cable from
your Ground Control Pro’s MIDI Out to the 7-pin MIDI In on the device. Then connect the
Ground Control Pro’s Power Adaptor to the phantom power jack on the device.

Mike Snider said:
Text from the GCP manual-

To use the supplied power adaptor, plug the body of the adaptor into a suitable power receptacle.
Then plug the cable into the jack marked “Power” on the Ground Control Pro.
If you have the GCX Guitar Audio Switcher, you don’t need to use the supplied power adapter.
The GCX will phantom power the Ground Control Pro through a standard 5-pin MIDI cable.
Note: If your Ground Control Pro doesn’t power up from the GCX, here’s the problem…
MIDI only requires 3 pins, so to save money some cables only have these 3 pins
wired. Since the GCX uses the 2 unused pins to send phantom power, these cables
won’t work! You need to make sure your cable has all 5 pins wired. Cables with all
5 pins wired are often labeled “5-Pin Active”.
If you are not using the GCX, but have a device that supports phantom power via a 7-pin MIDI
cable, this device can power the Ground Control Pro. Connect the 7-pin MIDI cable from
your Ground Control Pro’s MIDI Out to the 7-pin MIDI In on the device. Then connect the
Ground Control Pro’s Power Adaptor to the phantom power jack on the device.

Thank you Mike Snider
I will follow your words....

I have a GCX I use with My Axe FX, and have had a GCX I used with it in the past.

As others have said, the GCP either has to have it's own Power supply plugged directly into it or provide power over the midi cable, GCX will do that directly over a 5 or 7 pin Midi cable

The Axe FX needs the GCP power supply barrel plugplugged into the connector on the back of the Axe FX ( above the Midi Out connector) the Axe FX then takes that power from the input and pushes it out over the 7 pin Midi Cable (pin 6 & 7 I think) this is then fed to the GCP to power it up.

Hope that helps - there is certainly no way to Power the GCP unless you use one of these methods

You and Cliff are proof that the "power of the mind" is greater for some than others :lol:

Do you live under a high-voltage cable network? :p
If not, your region has them underground ;)

Or maybe you have a power phantom somewhere :D

Well if the Axe Fx was bought used it COULD have been modified to supply power with an internal transformer.
This is exactly what I did and it works great. (no wall wart for me! :D ).

rocketmorton52 said:
Well if the Axe Fx was bought used it COULD have been modified to supply power with an internal transformer.
This is exactly what I did and it works great. (no wall wart for me! :D ).

This is possible. I hope virgil knows if there were any mods done.
I would assume the leads from the phantom power input connector are disconnected in a mod like this. I would hope so.

Back
Top Bottom