Petrucci Mark V settings

Ha! I just finished watching this video and checked to see if someone posted the link on here and BAM!

Good stuff, I liked how he broke down his approach for each channel especially channel 1. I always liked his chimey clean tones.

Well I know what I'm doing as soon as I get home from work... Trying to match his tone and settings as closely as possible. This is a really good reference of what his actual tone is like, before its either mastered or combined with the rest of DT.

Great find! :)

I thought he had an Axie in his back-up rig. It is gone mysteriously :eek: Maybe Mesa photoshopped the pictures of his rig. Or Petrucci did not liked it anymore? :mrgreen:

@Dutch
Here's the photo of his "B" rig.
http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=68428

The video shows a 2007 date on it on the intro so that would be pre-Axe use/endorsement. :?:
IIRC I read somewhere he's planning on a solo release and using the Axe heavily on that for his tones so obviously still using it.

EDIT: Ok, my bad, it's a new video but I still don't think the Axe has been cast aside as DADA speculated, seems as though just a guide to the base tones he gets from his amps. Here's a link to his rig(s) from Oct2010....let's play spot the Fractal!!
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/musicplayer1.jpg

Lightningboy said:
@let's play spot the Fractal!!

I AM IN :mrgreen: But lets call it Axie-spotting

BTW: Did this deodrant manufacturer ever sold their products in the US? You know... The AXE effect with mighty gourdius woman all over ya...

I saw 2 Axes on the right-most 2 images. You can barely see the Fractal logo and green screen of the Axe on the rig that is cut off on the right side of the picture. Maybe he has the rigs arranged chronologically, with the most recent being on his left, in counterclockwise order ;)

Damo60 said:
Well I know what I'm doing as soon as I get home from work... Trying to match his tone and settings as closely as possible. This is a really good reference of what his actual tone is like, before its either mastered or combined with the rest of DT.

Great find! :)

If you get this chimey clean,could you share this patch then?

Roland a former Mark 1,IIC &Mark 4 owner(all too loud for my current playing)

Excellent video's :cool: . Naturally I had to try the channel 3 setting. I'm getting a good mean tone, but it's still not as juicy as his. Scratching my head on what else to tweak. Where's the juicy knob on this thing :lol:

What an excellent series of videos. Petrucci is my favourite player, and getting a few minutes up close and personal with him and how he crafts his tone is simply amazing.

He gets such great tones out of the MKIV setting, and the Axe-FX has a MKIV model so there should be nothing stopping us!

I have spent countless hours crafting a Petrucci like channel 3 tone, and have gotten pretty close. Am not sure if my settings mirror his in the video though - will have to go and check that out now.

I am still a little stuck in how to translate what he uses on the real MKV to dialing this in on the Axe.

For example, I have read in the manual that the level of cut in each control is not the same as the real amp - there is far greater range.

As such, I have no way of knowing how to compensate.

Cliff, perhaps with your infinite wisdom and skill you could craft a patch to match what John was showing in the video's - including the EQ? That would be AWESOME!

:mrgreen:

Lightningboy said:
@Dutch
Here's the photo of his "B" rig.
http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=68428

The video shows a 2007 date on it on the intro so that would be pre-Axe use/endorsement. :?:
IIRC I read somewhere he's planning on a solo release and using the Axe heavily on that for his tones so obviously still using it.

EDIT: Ok, my bad, it's a new video but I still don't think the Axe has been cast aside as DADA speculated, seems as though just a guide to the base tones he gets from his amps. Here's a link to his rig(s) from Oct2010....let's play spot the Fractal!!
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/musicplayer1.jpg
Here's my A Rig

As far as John having the Ultra in any rig(s) but his Studio and OR B rig,(he doesn't as of now)things could change in the future
though...
Richb

VidarAus said:
I am still a little stuck in how to translate what he uses on the real MKV to dialing this in on the Axe.

For example, I have read in the manual that the level of cut in each control is not the same as the real amp - there is far greater range.

As such, I have no way of knowing how to compensate.

Maybe you'd be better off trying to copy Petrucci's settings that he has used on an actual Mark IV (since the Axe FX has a Mark IV sim - "USA Lead 1"):

(Live settings from the "Chaos In Motion" tour.)

TopMK4Settings.jpg

Thank you Shredi knight for the picture regarding mark IV setting but i'm in trouble with the Axe eq. can i recall those EQ settings on the axe? I've tried to use Para EQ with the five frequencies matched to the Mesa eq, 80 for the first band, 240 for the second and so on, for each band i've raised or lowered the gain according the picture and leave the Q knob to default value. Shelving type for the 1 and 5 band but there's something i've missed. The sound is too harsh. Can you explain me how to transpose those settings on the axe? i'm really interested to know if there some change parameters in advanced and amp geek settings. In this case i really don't know how to set a convincing Pentode and/or Simul Class type Amp, also how to change the Tube type 6l6, el34 and so on.

I know this is a noob question but i really need some help. In the last years i've owned a mesa 90:90 with a triaxis (with fat mod) and i've spent alot of time building my own tone but with the Axe and those extra parameters i'm lost.

Anyway, thank you for your support and tips on this forum, i've read many of you posts and they are very usefull

thank you

Marvell said:
Thank you Shredi knight for the picture regarding mark IV setting but i'm in trouble with the Axe eq. can i recall those EQ settings on the axe? I've tried to use Para EQ with the five frequencies matched to the Mesa eq, 80 for the first band, 240 for the second and so on, for each band i've raised or lowered the gain according the picture and leave the Q knob to default value. Shelving type for the 1 and 5 band but there's something i've missed. The sound is too harsh. Can you explain me how to transpose those settings on the axe? i'm really interested to know if there some change parameters in advanced and amp geek settings. In this case i really don't know how to set a convincing Pentode and/or Simul Class type Amp, also how to change the Tube type 6l6, el34 and so on.

I know this is a noob question but i really need some help. In the last years i've owned a mesa 90:90 with a triaxis (with fat mod) and i've spent alot of time building my own tone but with the Axe and those extra parameters i'm lost.

Anyway, thank you for your support and tips on this forum, i've read many of you posts and they are very usefull

thank you

Your welcome, and thank you for that - Shredi Knight: He's just not for smart-ass replies anymore! :mrgreen:

My tips for setting the USA Lead amp sims can be found in the Wiki link posted above. Basically (and some of these differ slightly from the Wiki because of subsequent changes made to the amp block in different firmware versions), Bass around 2, Mids 5-8, Treble 6-8. I like to use the Depth and Presence controls set at "Active". My Presence is set at 1.42, but I'm still on firmware 10.01 (it would be set higher than that if I was using 10.03 because of the changes to the amp block). Depth is set high (7.64) and Master is set below half way (my current Mark IV patch it at 4.72).

As for the advanced page, quite a bit of it is tweaked. There's not much theory behind the way I have things set (except for having the Pwr Tube Bias set cold, at the same setting that Mesa sets the Mark series bias at.............or so I've read after tons of Googling), other that this is what I think sounds good and gets me what I'm after.

Here are my exact settings on the advanced page (anything not listed stays at default):

Thump: 9.96

Tonestack Type: Passive

Tonestack Freq: 495Hz

Pwr Tube Bias: 2.05

B Capacitance: 5.00

LF Resonance: 6.89

Spkr Res Freq: 78Hz (This probably really depends on the Cab sim you are using, if any.)

Pres/Depth Type: Active

For the Parametric eq (for simulating the Mesa on-board graphic eq's "Classic V" curve), again, this is just what works for me. One thing I don't do on it that you do on the actual one is to boost the 6600 band (that might be why what you are trying sounds harsh). I keep it set flat and get my brightness from the amp sim's Treble/Presence controls. I also cut the 240 band a little instead of boosting it (just adds mud for me). To compensate, I boot the amp sim's Depth control quite a bit (in "Active" mode, as mentioned above).

Here are my exact current Parametric eq settings (the Parametric goes directly after the amp sim, and before the Cab sim):

F1
Freq: 80.8 Hz
Q: 0.812
Gain: 8.88 dB
Type: Shelving

F2
Freq: 238.8 Hz
Q: 0.707
Gain: (minus) -0.38 dB

F3
Freq: 748.2 Hz
Q: 0.718
Gain: (minus) -7.18 dB

F4
Freq: 2181 Hz
Gain: 2.46 dB

F5
Freq: 6618 Hz
Gain: 0.00 dB
Type: Shelving

Anyway, I'm pretty sick of typing at this point, so I hope that's enough info and it helps.:p

Thank you Shredi Knight for posting your eq and amp settings but i'm not copy your personal settings, it's clear that every guitar sounds different and the famous "touch" is different from guy to guy so a specific settings works for someone and not for someone else. In the last days i've tried to transpose my old Triaxis settings to the Axe and i also know that the approach is different from gear to gear. My big trouble is the overall amout of muddy and flubbines on the lower strings and a too crispy sound on the high strings, not fizzy at all but near the fizzness :)

every patch seems to be a good patch but when i play a simple crunch preset with amp block set to Usa lead 1 and cab set to Cali in mono hi-res i'm happy with the overall crunch but disappointed with the low and high frequencies so i'm going crazy with the EQ. (palm muting become a sort of zoooom zoooooom........playing a fast riff on the low E or B is impossible, not clear at all, not tight). My goal is to balance the sound tweaking the right frequencies to eliminate the flubbiness on the lows and the crispy on the high. There's a specific trick to remember when tweak the EQ frequencies? There are some specific frequencies to modify?

I know you are not a teacher :) and if you (or some other blessed soul) feel to gift me some tips in the EQ block it would be much appreciated. :oops:

Thank you

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=22798

Looks like we posted this at the same time. :D You were first so I was double posting. Anyways... we've got progress in our thread including my matched IR's for Petrucci tones. These are really good... you've got to try these out.

Also check out my quick test with these IRs. The patch wasn't tweaked at all. I just wanted to show that these IRs work:

http://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/cl ... i-irs-test

Attachments

• Constant Motion IR.syx
    7.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Shattered Fortress IR.syx
    7.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Jaws Of Life IR.syx
    7.6 KB · Views: 32
Nice work Clark, but to my ear your first attempt using the stock cabs sounds better. More full and closer to the original.

This is not an observation using your patches, but of comparing the two sound clips you provided.

So yeah, it is awesome you are doing all the hard work chasing down these amazing tones for us (much appreciated!) but I think the first patch was closer.

VidarAus

Back
Top Bottom