Pete Thorn - Axe-Fx Ultra, Atomic Active Wedges, Rock Tones

Tom King

Experienced
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oER9vtXj-1Q

Here is a video of Mr. Pete Thorn, Axe-Fx artist extraordinaire.

We shot this in L.A. at Tone Merchants new Hollywood location. As the description says:

The one and only Pete Thorn took some time out from his busy schedule to get together for a quick video shoot. The Fractal Audio artist team spent several days in L.A. last month, where we had the chance to get together with the guys from Tone Merchants and check out their awesome new location in Hollywood. Pete stopped by to let us check out some of the custom tones he's created for his Axe-Fx Ultra rig for use on the road with Melissa Etheridge and others.

Pete brought some AMAZING guitars along, and the change between them really showcases how the Axe-Fx lets the character of an instrument shine through. Everyone in the room -- a cadre of seasoned gear pros -- agreed that the sound of Pete's Axe-Fx presets and Atomics may well have seemed a great collection of vintage amps to those not in the know.

Sound was recorded off the Atomics with a pair of mics (as shown). Thanks to Pete for the amazing performance and a great afternoon. Thanks to Rob, JMR, and Tone Merchants for hosting the event and continuing to provide Fractal Audio and Atomic Amp with two great showroom locations for customers in Southern California.

Enjoy

-TK

Re: Pete Thorn - Axe-Fx Ultra, Atomic Active Wedges, Rock To

Great tones and great playing!! Hey Pete, want to upload some of those sweet patches?? What cab config on the Axe's?? Is that mono Hires cabs, stereo, user cabs? Also, I see 2 Axe FX's, so how is the signal running?? It is a very nice sound and I'm just wondering about the routing from guitar to...

Thanks for the post!!

Have to love the 'run screaming' off camera at the end.

Great tones. EXCELLENT playing.

Great demos as always... Pete has some great chops and can really bring it when it comes to showing what great great can really do.

Coolness.
Is Pete going to go FRFR next then?

BTW, he sure was clipping the outputs of the Axe at the end there... More red than black.

wow, great tones. Is that clipping thing an issue with the Axe fx? Do you have to setup the input level for each patch, and when using pickups with different output level do the patches have to be setup again?

Kick @$$ !!!

I was wondering if Pete would ever do one of his classic "in the room" demos of the AXE FX run FRFR. Every time he does one of these, I want to buy the gear that he's demoing. the cool thing is that I've already got an Ultra. :D

:|

Uh... wait a minute! I don't yet have a Fratomic cab. Or two.

:oops:

Damn it! Now, I want an Atomic Wedgie.

I wanna hear more of the Eruption outake at the end !

Oh ..., AND I WANT THOSE PATCHES ....

Oops, sorry for yelling .....

toelessfoot said:
wow, great tones. Is that clipping thing an issue with the Axe fx? Do you have to setup the input level for each patch, and when using pickups with different output level do the patches have to be setup again?

Without hijacking the thread... I'd say most of us that use various pickups set our input level based on our hottest pickups to prevent clipping at the input and then never touch it after that. At that point, it's not really any different (from the player's perspective) from the front end of any "regular" amp.

Pete's a prince.

You know, he's teaching me how to play Eruption?

haha yeah Pete does have the best Eruption intructional on youtube. Before seing those I could do Eruption with about 55% accuracy, and after the videos about 80%. Thanks Pete!

I have a question - I just watched the video again (linked from TGP) and noticed that on the last patch (the delayed one) he is clipping the output on the Axe-FX. Pete - if you are reading this - need to drop your gain staging?

I don't hear anything like distortion from clipping the outputs, but I see them red lights a blazin' a bit back there on hard transients.

Scott Peterson said:
I a question - I just watched the video again (linked from TGP) and noticed that on the last patch (the delayed one) he is clipping the output on the Axe-FX. Pete - if you are reading this - need to drop your gain staging?

I don't hear anything like distortion from clipping the outputs, but I see them red lights a blazin' a bit back there on hard transients.

I noticed that too, and I listened a few times to see if I could detect any clipping distortion and I couldn't .... I just chalked it up to that pickup being just a tad hotter than the others ?

Hi guys

the other patches were mine but that delay patch wasn't mine- it's Matt's, he just called it up and I started playing. So I dunno nuttin about no clipping, nosir.

as always, if you don't hear clipping- then there isn't any. Maybe the axe has a few db of headroom built in?

sinasl1 said:
Hi guys

the other patches were mine but that delay patch wasn't mine- it's Matt's, he just called it up and I started playing. So I dunno nuttin about no clipping, nosir.

as always, if you don't hear clipping- then there isn't any. Maybe the axe has a few db of headroom built in?

That's what I had assumed. It sounded cool!! Just seeing the scary red lights made me nervous. lol.

The section with the EVH guitar sounds like only room mikes or the camera mike was involved :?:

Back
Top Bottom