Pet Peeve

knoll said:
What do you have in the signal chain after amp model? I think delay block can clip internally. And cab can add distortion if distortion is dialed in. But i guess you don't have cab clock because you go into guitar amp.

The only way that boosting the Level control could increase distortion is if there is a post-Amp-Block FX Block that is being overdriven. If that's not the case, and if we're all correctly grokking the OP's problem, then there is something wrong with his unit.

As for me, I rarely use the Layout Page's mixer for this.
I use the level parameter in the amp block itself.

To the OP:
Do you get the same problem when you use the Amp Block's Level parameter?

joegold said:
knoll said:
What do you have in the signal chain after amp model? I think delay block can clip internally. And cab can add distortion if distortion is dialed in. But i guess you don't have cab clock because you go into guitar amp.

The only way that boosting the Level control could increase distortion is if there is a post-Amp-Block FX Block that is being overdriven. If that's not the case, and if we're all correctly grokking the OP's problem, then there is something wrong with his unit.

As for me, I rarely use the Layout Page's mixer for this.
I use the level parameter in the amp block itself.

To the OP:
Do you get the same problem when you use the Amp Block's Level parameter?

No,the layout's level is after all the blocks, so even if there is a post-amp block fx block being overdriven. It will not be driven any harder because the level is increased after.

SparkyG said:
some interesting responses.

I've been using the Level on the amp block to level my patches rather than the Main vol located on the last page of the layout menu. What's the difference?? and what's the best way?

There is no best way. Whatever works for you. Changing the level at the amp block will alter any non-linear effects you have going on later (distortion, drive, etc.). Doing it in the layout block will not. That is about the only difference.

javajunkie said:
No,the layout's level is after all the blocks, so even if there is a post-amp block fx block being overdriven. It will not be driven any harder because the level is increased after.

Right. So either there's something wrong with the OP's unit, or he's driving the Axe's output into digital clipping, or he's got it connected to something else that is getting overdriven.

joegold said:
or he's driving the Axe's output into digital clipping,

Which I think would happen if you started with distortion presets and then tried to bring clean presets up to match in level.

Slate said:
The level controls.

I get the sound I want a nice clean with very little distortion, then I adjust the “Layout, last tab, Level Control” to bring up the volume in relation to my other presets and it starts to add distortion.

Use the level on amp block... the output level should be near the bypass amp block level, check it.

joegold said:
javajunkie said:

Right. So either there's something wrong with the OP's unit, or he's driving the Axe's output into digital clipping, or he's got it connected to something else that is getting overdriven.

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom