People who had 500lbs rig and a wiring diagram that switched to AXE-FX

npdcoremetal

Inspired
I'm just Curious of how many others like me had a huge rig with its own wiring and zip code diagram that switch to axe fx.

I was a tap dancing pedal king. I have this giant pedal board from PedalPad, which I don't think they make any more because it was so huge. It has 2 tiers plus a three space rack all on the floor. It was so big and heavy that I put wheels on it. I used a rack mount Chandler Tube Driver, rack tuner, an Ibanez DL10, a Boss DD-5, Rotovibe, Wah, Volume, Octave pedal, Tube Screamer, Phase, sometimes a Chorus or Compressor, a clean boost, something else I'm forgetting. The Axe Fx was originally to replace all of my effects. The amp modeling was just a bonus, but now I can't live without it.

I guess i forgot to say what i was using. I had two engl powerballs, in a two head 10 space rack case which had two amp selectors, running to a TC GFORCE 2 a decimater, a tube screamer in front of the amp and compressor with two noise gates there, a few wireless a 2 space drawer. That dang case was so heavy and plus the 2 to 4 mesa cabs i brought icky. I tell you what as of now i have a 4 space with AXE FX and a power conditioner and one K12 and i bitch about that sometimes,lol.

Went from this:

Plus a very heavy Koch Twintone 1x12 combo that was wired up with a very big PedalSnake.

To this:

gngrig.jpg

I rarely use the monitor -- I just grab the, the All Access in the Gator bag, and my gig bag and I'm off.

Here is a picture and the wiring diagram of my old 12 space rack, which was replaced with the Ultra.

Behringer Mixer
Digitech IPS-33B
Behringer 4-channel expander gate
Behringer eq
Mesa Triaxis
Eventide Orville
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Digitech Studio Quad VII
Boss GX-700
Digitech TSR-24S
Ibanez DS-7 (2)
Speaker load for blues master (wooden box under rack)
Several isolation transformers
Two home built mixers
About 40 cables and lots of magnetic shielding
Power strips and several wall warts
Constant preventive maintenance

All connected according to the convoluted AutoCAD drawing, which also contains MIDI flow. Each device also had its own documentation. I also had a calibration procedure I ran before every practice and gig. All of it gone now.

For years, I told myself "Someday, someone will make a single unit that can replace all of this, but I might not live to see it". THANK YOU CLIFF, for making this a reality.

Attachments

• Guitar Rack schematic 2010.jpg
    Guitar Rack schematic 2010.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 133
  • Old Rack.jpg
    Old Rack.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I was using a 22 sp rack that containing ;
Monster pro conditioner
Juice Goose 12Paq Rack power supply
Line6 Relay G90 rf
korg dtr tuner
Dunlop dcr-1
Rocktron Patchmate
2 sp Rack tray (SRD Midi Octopus, Maxon 808, MXR Phase 90, Nobels MVC midi vol controller)
TC G-Force
VHT GP-3 Preamp
Egnater IE4 Preamp
Alesis Midi Librarian
VHT 2502
4Sp rack Drawer

Just curious, what function does the multi-colored unit in the top/right corner of the photo serve? Is it something I should have in my rig? :p
Oh man, you don't have one of those???? Dude, it makes your pedalboard go WHHHEEEEEEEEEEE! Also keeps sticky little kid fingers off your gear. :)

Oh man, you don't have one of those???? Dude, it makes your pedalboard go WHHHEEEEEEEEEEE! Also keeps sticky little kid fingers off your gear. :)

Freakin' PRICELESS!!! It is good to shed the rack weight, no doubt (my rack is still on its diet). But from a pure "coolness" factor, those racks screamed "Rock 'n Roll" for many years.

Not 500lbs. Only a double rack would way that much. Mine was around 200lbs:

Attachments

• MKrig2008_last_sm.jpg
    MKrig2008_last_sm.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 114
Me too. Triaxis, digitech preamplifier/effects, tc g-force, harmonizer, midi switching, and a 2:90 or
A 20/20 power amp (depending on the day), 2 foot controllers, oh and a rack leslie emulator.
That doesn't include the Boogie wedge and 2x12 vertical cab.

Now it's an Ultra, liquid foot pro, and a powered wedge. 60% less setup time and 80% less
weight. Totally love it!

Last edited:
This is what I used to use. Now I just have the AXE FX II and a Mesa 2:90 with my mesa cab and a liquid foot pro. This setup was heavy as all hell and anything could have went wrong with it and then you could spend hours trouble-shooting.

In those pics, there was missing my mesa amp switcher which used to switch between my Mesa Boogie Road King II and the Triaxis, or a combination of both. It was an amazing setup but a bitch to carry around. I ended up selling everything and im actually way happier with the setup im running now!

Attachments

• My old rig.jpg
    My old rig.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 61
  • My old rig 3.jpg
    My old rig 3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 58
  • My old rig 2.jpg
    My old rig 2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 85
This is what i was saying in my thread cliff has reinvented the wheel. I just think that this will change the way amps are made and at some point may render tube amplification obsolete. Sad as that may sound. BTW I am a tube freak i spent 3k on an engl midi tube pre amp and run it through a mesa bogie 2/100. And I keep thinking that i should sell it and just keep the ultra. But I cant... due to no other reason than I just wont let my self believe that something digital can sound as good as tube let alone better. What will the next generation think and do. All of you who have posted here before me are only confirming what I think

Cliff are you selling shares of stock yet ? I am more interested in being on that waiting list than I am for the FX 2

Wow! Some of you guys made a LOT of dosh in the exchange! Dang! Not to mention the weight loss and rock solid reliability! Hell's bells...

Not 500lbs. Only a double rack would way that much. Mine was around 200lbs:

dude that setup looks killer, you sure the axe beats this? I hope it does, then I skipped some expensive pain! ps I think my 5 behringer racks were fun, for a while and worth a total of 50 bucks!

Back
Top Bottom