People weigh in on this response I got from saying how nice Axe II 18 firmware is.

laughyouraxeoff

Experienced
Edit "Trying to make it clear for the trolls you want to accuse people of being a troll" This is a response I got for asking if a youtube reviewer Tried Firmware 18.

Hi Joe. I recently made the decision to purchase a Kemper Power Rack. I also looked at the Axe-FX II. However, IMHO, there is still no comparison. No matter how many upgrades the Axe II makes, it will NEVER be able to do what the KPA does...which is to absolutely duplicate and clone a specific tube amp (reference amp), and allow you to make an A/B comparison, in real-time, between the KPA profile and the reference amp. You can judge, first hand, that there literally is no difference or distinction between the original reference amp and the profile captured by the KPA. It is a magical moment, indeed, when you first experience this.

That is NOT to say that the Axe-FX II cannot produce amazing amp tones. It absolutely can. However, all it will ever do is model the sound/tone of a representative type tube amp, by manufacturer and model. For instance, the Axe II can closely duplicate the sound of a Marshall model 1959 Super Lead Plexi. The Kemper will exactly clone the specific Super Lead amp (S/N XXXX) that was used to make the profile, capturing all of the amp's unique personality, individual character and finger-print, as well as it's quirks. The Axe will never be able to do this, for the simple reason that Kemper has the patents on it's revolutionary Profiling process.

For me, the most amazing thing about the KPA, beyond making an exact digital clone of a specific tube amp, is the fact that it can actually improve upon the tone, feel and dynamics of that specific tube amp. This is accomplished by accessing the profiled amp's "amp" menu, and tweaking the Definition, Power Tube Sagging, Tube Bias, Tube Shape, Clarity, Pick and Amp Compression parameters. For example, It the original, reference amp has a flubby bottom end when played at high gain settings...the KPA can correct this deficiency, by tweaking the aforementioned parameters of the resulting profile. It is hard to explain, but it is literally amazing to see happen...as I did when I profiled a friend's Marshall Vintage Modern 100W head.

My tube amps will be collecting dust. The Kemper is that good.

Last edited:
Not sure if you're just trolling for a flame-war here...but my initial response is "so what?". There's room in the world for both Kemper AND Axe-Fx. I know people like to get entrenched in their particular camps, but personally I think it's silly. It makes about as much sense as saying a Gibson is better than a Fender. IMHO, it's all subjective, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I love that there are options out there. I've played both, and for me, for a number of reasons, I prefer the Axe-FX. In a perfect world of unlimited $$ I'd probably get both. :)

give_a_fuck.gif

I've never used a Kemper, and I'm pretty sure I don't need to use one to know that it does a fine job and has a pretty strong user base.
Since I own the AxeFxII, I know what it can do, and thus I don't really give a crap about what detractors have to say.

It is also tiresome to see this foolish tribalism continue with respect to one brand or the other. The meter above says it all. Please join me.

There are pros and cons to each. IMO our approach is superior. The guy responding to you disagrees. To him I say: profile a 5E3 Deluxe with the volume and treble cranked. Then listen to the Axe-Fx model.

Treating an amp like a black box requires a lot of assumptions. Building a virtual amp in software does not.

Regardless the whole thing reads like the typical marketing copy that their league of forum plants constantly espouses.

The KPA probably sounds great. I never played one.

But I am not a fan of their "snapshot" approach (a profile basically is a snapshot or sample of a single tone).
I much prefer the FAS approach, where the entire amp and its controls are modeled.
When we tweak an Axe-Fx model, it's like tweaking the actual amp.
While tweaking on the KPA means deviating from the (profiled) amp.

Suffice it to say, I, for one, tried both a couple years ago, after having gone through the typical huge collection of crazy-good amps. Initially, I kept the KPA a little longer. Then, I sold all my traditional gear, purchased the Axe FX II again and a much better sound system, and haven't looked back (and I never will). The Axe FX is just that great, and will only keep on getting better.

But I am not a fan of their "snapshot" approach (a profile basically is a snapshot or sample of a single tone).
I much prefer the FAS approach, where the entire amp and its controls are modeled.

I had the chance to compare both units for some weeks. I would subscribe every single word you wrote. This is exactly the point. I did also Profiles of my real Tube Amp and TMA it with the Axe. The differences were extremely small on both digital units compared to the real thing. to say, that one sounds better to the other ... meh ... it is a decision which concept you like more, beside the superior routing and effect capabilities of the Axe ... of course...

First off, kudos to Cliff & Co. for shrugging this off. It gives off a vibe of confidence, which IMO is 100% warranted. This is in direct contrast to the "astroturfing" that seems to be going on at that other place.

Second, I own an AxeII and have owned a KPA, and I've compared them head-to-head rather extensively. Both were great, but I'm still a Fractal user for a reason. If you do a search of recent "vs" threads or look through my history, I'm sure you'll find my conclusions which are far from biased (I'm just a dude that likes to play and wants the best tool for the job. Nobody pays me for anything music related). I will say, in defense of the KPA, it was a solid enough piece of kit that I felt comfortable selling it to my neighbor (who lives directly across the street from me and I see on a daily basis) for the going used rate. He thinks it's the cat's meow... but he hasn't heard/played my AxeII yet either, so...

Third, I don't think LYAO is trolling. He frequents this place a lot and has never seemed like a troublemaker IMO. That said, I'm not really sure what's going to come of this thread that hasn't already been covered in several others... has K added some new feature in the very recent history I'm not aware of? I did my comparison with FAS FW16 IIRC. It was good enough to win in my book then, and it's only gotten better since.

They both can create very satisfying authentic tube amp tone and playability.

The Fractal has superior analog components, superior routing, superior controllers.

The efx are mostly a wash for what I normally use. But for some I know the Fractal efx are superior.

I own two Fractals and zero Kempers. But I still might get a Kemper rack.

What I do like about the Kemper is the 3rd party profiles. You get to buy the creators amp expertise along with their baked in IR's. Sort of like if someone sold presets along with IR's for the Fractal. I dig that. And I've really enjoyed playing profiles from Andy at TAF and M Britt.

Well said Yek, this is the stance that I share with the KPA vs. AFX 'discussion'.

We unfortunately have wasted enough time on this subject. I agree with Cliff, FAS' approach is superior and much more readily able to reproduce the exact tone you desire without having to profile anything.

I > AMP + CAB > O = Rock out. Done.

Not sure if you're just trolling for a flame-war here...but my initial response is "so what?". There's room in the world for both Kemper AND Axe-Fx. I know people like to get entrenched in their particular camps, but personally I think it's silly. It makes about as much sense as saying a Gibson is better than a Fender. IMHO, it's all subjective, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I love that there are options out there. I've played both, and for me, for a number of reasons, I prefer the Axe-FX. In a perfect world of unlimited $$ I'd probably get both. :)

Maybe because I'm dyslexic I didn't make it clear enough for you. So let me try with you again.

I went to youtube, posted on a vid of a guy who does reviews like a month ago. Never seen this guy before but He was talking about kemper being this or that. I asked him if he tried Axe II with firmware 18 that it was so good, and he posted a reply that made me think hmm maybe he hates the Axe so I looked around the net and found out he does!!!

SO I left it at that as I don't want to be in a war either side, then today I get this huge response from some random person like a month after my initial post.

So I figured see what my fractal friends think about such a response to me just saying have you tried firmware 18 lol, would be like wow what a response to you just asking about trying Axe II with FIrmware 18, but instead I get you with your ignorant response.

So either I made a mistake in clarity which caused you to be like that, or you're a jackass, either way carry on.

Btw I sent Cliff the link in question so he can see exactly what I am talking about. Cliff knows I am not trolling as he can read my post to that video I did like over a month ago and the post today of the Huge resposne I just copied and pasted!!!! but I did find that post to my response of trying firmware 18 pretty weird. And from my research nothing is 100% so weird to hear someone just say that when I didn't even ask about the Kemper, I just asked him had he tried the new firmware.

They both can create very satisfying authentic tube amp tone and playability.

The Fractal has superior analog components, superior routing, superior controllers.

The efx are mostly a wash for what I normally use. But for some I know the Fractal efx are superior.

I own two Fractals and zero Kempers. But I still might get a Kemper rack.

What I do like about the Kemper is the 3rd party profiles. You get to buy the creators amp expertise along with their baked in IR's. Sort of like if someone sold presets along with IR's for the Fractal. I dig that. And I've really enjoyed playing profiles from Andy at TAF and M Britt.

Wouldn't the Kemper profiles be an issue because we all have different guitarist, pickups and instrument cables?

I also own 2 Fractals and in a twisted way kinda' desire a third. My hands are full, my plate is full, just keeping up with what this awesome product gives us to use and learn. That said it is cool that we live in a time when we have so many tools at our disposal. Back in 'the good ol' days' we also had 2 choices. Clean and crunch.

I have never weighed in on one of these threads, but feel compelled to do so here for some reason.

When the other product was announced I had already owned an axe fx for a while. I read what the other product was doing: making a copy of an amp as is, and not actually digging deeper. I lost interest almost immediately as I want to tweak each amp and do what I want with it not just pay someone for a snapshot of an amp. I can see what people might like about this approach but for me I want my own sounds.

Wouldn't the Kemper profiles be an issue because we all have different guitarist, pickups and instrument cables?

Not with the profiles I've played.

But I have WAY more experience with the Fractal.

I've just used the Kemper in conjunction with my brother who bought one recently.

Absolutely. There's a noticeable difference IMO when plugged in with a humbucking Les Paul vs. singlecoils in a super strat or what have you... which, also IMO, is a positive sign, just like it is with my AxeII.

Ask him if Kpa is so revolutionary why do all profiles have same tube shape? Real amps have different distortion grain based on circuitry. After a while all Kpa profiles sound the same because same tube shape is used on every profile. My Axe-Fx sounds different depending upon model. Some models hard and gritty, other models soft and smooth. All Kpa profiles sound smooth to me.

Back
Top Bottom