Pedalboard Layouts - Opinions or ideas needed

GuitarMan86

Power User
Hey all,

Starting to explore my FC12 a bit and haven't got it setup much other than utilizing the default scenes layout and getting to the effects layout. Still tweaking my presets and finding my ideal preset design.

I have always (mainly) been a 'single' preset type of user. I may have a couple of presets that I will float around but my main live preset will have 4 or 5 main scenes and my default IA switches to turn different effects on/off.

That being said..... I am wondering how most are designing their layouts and what you prefer and/or like? Looking for different thoughts and open to exploring the layouts more.

• Are you mainly a single preset user? (changing scenes to accommodate your entire live gig)?
    • How do you prefer the FC layout in this case?
  • Are you a 'many preset' user that has presets designed for each song?
    • How do you prefer the FC layout in this case?
I am using an FC-12 in my scenario and have additional switches but same idea on FC-6 with layout.

*Have seen Chris' excellent video on the FC and getting some thoughts.

What do you all prefer?

Last edited:
Nice.... I remember when you mentioned to me that you now use presets for each song.

I used to use a few presets for an entire night and now with the flexibility I feel like I can get most of my tones with one preset using channels and scenes now.
More exploring I seem to lean towards layouts where I can use 4 main scenes and use my favorite IA switches on the same layout.

I typically use a single preset all night. But all of my presets are based on the same layout and "structure". They are kitchen sink presets with all 8 scenes utilized.

I mainly stay on my Scenes layout which uses buttons 2-5 and 8-10 to access all 8 scenes, plus IAs to do things like toggle between 2 channels on Chorus (or bypass with Hold), same for Reverb, one that selects Multiplexer channels between Wah, auto-wah and envelope filter, and one for Tap tempo and Tuner (Hold).

I also have a layout for presets with bank size 10 plus bank up/down.

And a Looper layout with the addition of a subset of scenes added.

For the longest time I used a few presets to get through our set. Over the last year I’ve switched to a preset per song system. I like it better.
4-5 scenes per preset and the rest IA switches.
Do you use global blocks for amps? I couldnt even think about a preset per song as our singer stops following the setlist about the 8th song into the first set.

Do you use global blocks for amps? I couldnt even think about a preset per song as our singer stops following the setlist about the 8th song into the first set.
I use the same amp for our whole set with a scene controller in the input gain and master volume to go from clean to high gain and everything in between. And we stick to our set list so it’s not an issue. But I could use one preset for the majority of the set and that’s what I use to do.
But now have everything set for each song. Delay times mainly. Before I would just tap in the tempo now I have them pre programmed for each song.

I typically use a single preset all night. But all of my presets are based on the same layout and "structure". They are kitchen sink presets with all 8 scenes utilized.

Exactly what I have been doing..... make sense and much easier when applying a starting point. I typically do that same. For my AX8 I had to do things a bit different and had different presets because of horsepower. But, with AxeII and AxeIII I have always built the 'kitchen sink' preset approach to be able to use that as my building block and then tweak from there.

I’m a one preset person (so far) and I spend a lot of time playing live in fluid situations so I prioritize access to effects.

On every layout page the upper right button switches layouts and the lower right button is tap tempo and tuner.

Layout 1 - Effects
Layout 2 - Drives, amps, and cabs, including a rotary selector

These are where I live most of the time, and tapping on the layout switch toggles between them.

Hold the layout switch and you go to Layout 3.

Layout 3 - All the scenes, plus preset up and down.

Tap a scene and it’s selected, plus you’re returned to Layout 1. Tap the layout switch and you’re returned to Layout 1. Hold it and you go to Layout 4.

Layout 4 - The same as Layout 3, except you’re not taken to Layout 1 after selecting a scene, and holding the layout switch takes you back to Layout 3.

More evolution to come I’m sure, but right now I’m pretty happy with this system.

I’m a one preset person (so far) and I spend a lot of time playing live in fluid situations so

Tap a scene and it’s selected, plus you’re returned to Layout 1. Tap the layout switch and you’re returned to Layout 1. Hold it and you go to Layout 4.

Thanks....That is interesting and helpful. I am looking at that option as well to determine if I will end up adding that 'layout' switch to be able to do that. Guess I will have to make due with a live show and use scenes to gauge what makes sens to align for me.

Liking the different ideas and thought as I had been doing it the same way for a long time with the MFC101, and now tith the FC12 there are many ways to accommodate whatever the needs are.

I see myself mainly using 4-5 scenes with some of my goto IA switches and also a tap/tune and/or layout button.

Back
Top Bottom