Patriots fans good with this?

Project Mayhem

Experienced
I know there are some pats fans here (one pretty obvious one)....so the question is, do you think he’s (AB) worth it?

I guess if the speculation about this being TB’s last rodeo is correct, then I could see the “why not” attitude...but given what we know now, this will be the ultimate test of culture vs. coddle. But if anyone can make it work, it’s probably the hoodie.

Going to be an interesting year.

Bellichick is above 0.500 on these. The successes: Moss, Gordon, Corey Dillon, Lagarette Blount. The failures: Ochocinco, Albert Haynesworth and probably one other.

As a fan of the game it’s disappointing to see an immature, selfish guy who’s screwed over the two teams he’s been with get a chance and get guaranteed money in a sign on bonus. AB has self sabotaged himself and it’s frustrating to see the self entitlement that he displays. It’s so predictable that the Patriots were going to be the ones to do it. As much respect that I’ve had for the Pats to this point, this signing has me disgusted with their ‘game the system’ approach. From Spygate to Deflategate and then there is Aaron Hernandez... If that team didn’t have Tom Brady there is no way they’d have the success they’ve had. But they get a pass because of their success. I lost respect for them today and reflecting back on all the BS that Belichick creates or condones astounds me. Win at all costs...OK. I’m not down with the way they go about it.

As a fan of the game it’s disappointing to see an immature, selfish guy who’s screwed over the two teams he’s been with get a chance and get guaranteed money in a sign on bonus. AB has self sabotaged himself and it’s frustrating to see the self entitlement that he displays. It’s so predictable that the Patriots were going to be the ones to do it. As much respect that I’ve had for the Pats to this point, this signing has me disgusted with their ‘game the system’ approach. From Spygate to Deflategate and then there is Aaron Hernandez... If that team didn’t have Tom Brady there is no way they’d have the success they’ve had. But they get a pass because of their success. I lost respect for them today and reflecting back on all the BS that Belichick creates or condones astounds me. Win at all costs...OK. I’m not down with the way they go about it.
+1000

Scary when you consider what he can do in that offense, which might be the best fit possible for him.

By AB pulling this NBA move, I suspect you'll see the league react to try and find a way to protect the owners from this going forward.

So much this.

I'm a Raiders fan and from the day we got him I was conflicted... how long will it take for something to blow up? When one person acts like so much of a diva - maybe his teammates think him coming to camp in a hot air balloon is cool. But when Ben makes comments about their friendship, and AB blows him off "we were never friends" - that's gotta make your current teammates wonder. Then you act like "Imma retire if I can't wear my helmet" - when you know the rule is coming, when other players make the adjustment... then you post internal team communications publicly - you go off on your GM, who's already said "you're either all-in or all-out" ... I'm glad the Raiders let him go. Gruden and Mayock would have lost the whole team at this point if they didn't stand up to him. It seems like AB was trying to orchestrate this, but you can't have that on your team. Maybe he'll toe the line in NE. Maybe he won't. But still, if you're his teammate, can you ever trust him? Or does it not matter, as long as you win?

Too bad the Pats don't play the Raiders, and they play the Steelers this week when AB won't play.

I wouldn't be surprised if the deal was on the table before AB even started with all his nonsense. It was so idiotic & over the top it's blatantly obvious his only goal was to get released. That & the Patriots are known cheaters & I wouldn't trust anyone in that "organization" any farther than I can throw Gillette Stadium! They deserve each other & I can't wait to see it blow up in their faces LOL! Karma is alive...hilarity ensues:D

Pats accused the Texans of tampering when they tried to hire their GM Cassario. Texans backed off. Signing AB isn’t a Cassario move. It’s a BB move. I mean he’s the total authority. It is curious how soon they were able to come to terms on that deal after he was released. It happened in a matter of a few hours. Karma awaits. BB went down to the crossroads and made a deal.

Not speaking for all Steelers fans, but I love it when these dudes try to be the first WR/RB or whatever to get all full of themselves after being at the Academy for a few years and putting up great numbers. Then they decide that they're going to be the first player in the history of whatever to decide that they should be the highest paid player in that position and that the Steelers are gonna just knuckle under and give them what they want. Then what happens is they get cut, find another contract somewhere, and all of a sudden they find out that they're mediocre players and it was the Steelers offensive system that made them what they are. After a while they beg their way back to Pittsburgh, and maybe they actually get picked up. Plaxico Burress is one example (although he was actually successful for 4 years with the Giants). Antwan Randle El is another, although not as successful, being released from Washington and then again by the Steelers after just one season.

Schadenfreude is a real thing. I love watching these egomaniac primadonnas self-destruct.

I’m losing in both my fantasy leagues. The only thing that can cheer me up would be a miracle Texan win Monday night (I bet against) or an email telling me my FM3 is ready 🙏

Yeah I know... I just gotta be a man and take it on the chin. At least my Atomica preset sounds bad ass 😎

It seems pretty likely this was all a sham. AB wanted to play for the patriots, but the steelers wouldn't agree to that trade and instead sent him to the raiders. So he staged all of this to force the raiders to release him so he could sign with the patriots like he wanted in the first place.

On the one hand, it seems like an unfair scam that he worked on the raiders. On the other hand, labor relations in the NFL are so tilted towards the owners that you have to cheer for the rare occasion when a player gets his way.

It seems pretty likely this was all a sham. AB wanted to play for the patriots, but the steelers wouldn't agree to that trade and instead sent him to the raiders. So he staged all of this to force the raiders to release him so he could sign with the patriots like he wanted in the first place.

On the one hand, it seems like an unfair scam that he worked on the raiders. On the other hand, labor relations in the NFL are so tilted towards the owners that you have to cheer for the rare occasion when a player gets his way.

This does seems likely.

I think this has rosenhaus’ finger prints all over it. He knew in March what the patriots were willing to give for him.

AB sees how the nba players are now forcing where they want to play, and how rich Paul has been involved in pulling strings, and tells rosenhaus he wants to play at NE.

Speculation of course.

On the one hand an employee should be able to ply his or her skills with whatever employer is willing to pay them in a mutually beneficial agreement.

On the other hand, if your career can be over in a second and you see your new employer's environment is not going to give you the opportunity for success that you were led to believe in earlier negotiations, then I can see wanting to creatively renegotiate your employment in such a way so that you have the greatest odds of success.

How many people really believe that the Raiders are headed to the divisional round of the playoffs this year? Perhaps AB felt the same way after seeing the playbook and practices this year. We know he felt that way about the Steelers, Tomlin, and Roethlisberger last year based on his comments at that time.

Last edited:
Scary when you consider what he can do in that offense, which might be the best fit possible for him.

By AB pulling this NBA move, I suspect you'll see the league react to try and find a way to protect the owners from this going forward.

I'm concerned that the NFL wants to be more LIKE the NBA ( especially the off season publicity that they always seem to generate ) ....

AB's behavior is atrocious, but no more than several others who are under contract and just elect to not come to work (yes, you may read that as anyone in the "holdout" category) in order to force a pay raise or trade. You can't argue one is fair then argue AB getting what he wants using what he does isn't. More publicly childish, sure, but no less "me first" childish (and successful) than any of the others. Personally, I think both are BS and the league would be better off without it. But it is what it is. The league creates its own realities and these sort of behaviors are all unintended side effects of the standards they created by their efforts to create and enforce parity across the board.

The Patriots are the perfect example of understanding how a machine works, and creating a culture that succeeds in the framework. Oddly, the focus on putting the team first has succeeded astonishingly well in the face of the "me first" league. I'm a fan of the team and culture, and of Brady and Belichick in particular. Both have shown that exceptional performance in their individual positions, while incorporating that into a team first culture has made them incredibly resilient in a league that seeks to intentionally weaken the stronger to empower the weaker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom