Parameter Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use pick attack, dynamic depth, thunk and amp voicing quite a bit. thunk the most as it seems to add some clean weight. I'd love to hear what you suggest to eliminate them from the chain, though.

Hey Cliff, I actually use amp voicing a lot with headphones and when recording direct. Sometimes the vintage and warm setting just make a high gain amp (like bogner red) sound better. I find that especially with EMG's. What other parameters would do that job if amp voicing is gone?? I might actually refrain from upgrading firmware if that option would be gone... So thanks in advance if you keep it as an option!

Hey Cliff, I actually use amp voicing a lot with headphones and when recording direct. Sometimes the vintage and warm setting just make a high gain amp (like bogner red) sound better. I find that especially with EMG's. What other parameters would do that job if amp voicing is gone?? I might actually refrain from upgrading firmware if that option would be gone... So thanks in advance if you keep it as an option!

Voicing is just EQ. You can duplicate it with any of the EQ resources. It's not a big deal to keep it in there though. I was just trying to simplify things a bit.

I really want to add a "Brilliance" parameter. This would be a shelving filter between the preamp and power amp. It's similar to the Presence control in a Triaxis (except that you would be able to boost as well as cut). For certain tones the ability to roll off the highs out of the preamp would be nice. I used to keep the Presence on my Triaxis fairly low. This gave a very focused lead tone that cut but wasn't harsh.

So I was thinking I could get rid of some of those legacy parameters to make room for the Brilliance knob.

You could probably get rid of the Character control in exchange for a Brilliance parameter. I use the Character control as a kind of tilt eq anyway, but a Brilliance and Brilliance Freq parameter would probably better suit that end.

Reactions: sam
Voicing is just EQ. You can duplicate it with any of the EQ resources. It's not a big deal to keep it in there though. I was just trying to simplify things a bit.

I really want to add a "Brilliance" parameter. This would be a shelving filter between the preamp and power amp. It's similar to the Presence control in a Triaxis (except that you would be able to boost as well as cut). For certain tones the ability to roll off the highs out of the preamp would be nice. I used to keep the Presence on my Triaxis fairly low. This gave a very focused lead tone that cut but wasn't harsh.

So I was thinking I could get rid of some of those legacy parameters to make room for the Brilliance knob.

Maybe you could have Advanced and Ultra Advanced menus, shift some of the lesser used things into another menu. The advanced page is a little large especially when you're editing on the front panel.

HF Rolloff

A massive YES PLEASE Cliff to a control to be able to roll off the pre-amp highs! A mellower or darker preamp tone with just a touch of power amp sizzle overlaid is a beautiful thing!! Focused and singing without harshness is right.

Any chance to effect your initial quest, you'd want to make a "simple" / "in-depth" choice for the user, where the first limits those choices that aren't used often (the list you initially posted) and the power user (or whomever) could pick the second choice so they have their full tweak-ability? I'm assuming the thought may have been to limit confusion for those that primarily just want to plug-n-play?? Just a thought.

Cheers,

Lee

Edit: See that I was a bit slow with response, as xpenno already brought up the basic idea. +1 so it could add the switchable Brilliance knob!

Last edited:
thunk...for low volume recording, practise...isnt it supposed to be giving the missing speaker - guitar interaction?

How about a CREATOR's knob, labeled "AWESOME" and when you turn it, it takes the amp from tight to loose, or vintage to modern, and incorporates all the hot-roddish type of things that experts might do to alter the amp's performance - transformers, tubes, etc.....

I just created 2,000 hours of work for you.

Since you say that those parameters are not needed anymore maybe you could post a tiny explanation for how we could use other settings in the amp block to achieve the same results that can be gained with these parameters.

And then they could be removed!?!

What about:

1. One at a time, disable a parameter in the firmware but leave it in the front panel interface and AE.
2. Continue slowly disabling them, one or two per firmware release.
3. A year after all have been disabled, repost this thread, but reveal said parameters really have done nothing for a year.

So it would go more like this: "Hey, parameters 1,2,3,4,5... have been disabled in the firmware for over year, time to cleanup the UI..."

Kind of funny, but this really does work in the real world. We had dozens of reporting options at work and gradually stopped producing the more manual reports one by one over time without anyone noticing. Amazing how much man-hours were saved.

We did have one area ask about a report they used to use, but when I was able to show them that no one had been using the file for well over a year they really had nothing to argue with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom