Parallel effects

jgparker59

Inspired
Can someone please post a snapshot pic from axe edit of say an amp and cab and say 4 to 6 effect blocks like chorus etc. and put them in parallel versus in line. I'm not sure how that looks. Thanks!!

Like this?

Screen%20Shot%202013-09-14%20at%207.58.28%20PM.png

Patch is here if you want to try it out: Axe-Change - Download Preset - [iaresee] Trey A - by iaresee -- hasn't been updated for 13.xx, sorry.

At the top of page 34 in the current manual, there's a picture of a preset with two amp/cab pairs in parallel with each other.

EDIT: oaky, a few people beat me to the punch... :)

it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing when putting an effect in parallel. you need to pay attention to mix levels and bypass modes. you'll usually want to have the mix set to 100%, so that no dry signal passes through the parallel effect, otherwise you'll increase your patch level by as much as 6db. for the bypass mode (if you plan on bypassing the effect at some point), needs to be set to something other than "thru". check the manual for full explanations of the various bypass modes.

Yeah, any effects that aren't in the direct signal path should have their Mix knob set to 100%, and their Level control should then be used as the Mix control.

Also don't forget to set the bypass mode of parallel effects to Mute, or Mute In if you want to hear the effect trail after you switch off the effect.

and their Level control should then be used as the Mix control.

Or Level at 0, and use Input Gain (with effects that have this control) to dial in the desired amount of effect.
Prevents level jumps when switching presets.

Ok thanks guys. So is it advisable to put as many effects In parallel as you can when you have a lot in a patch?

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys. So is it advisable to put as many effects In parallel as you can when you have a lot in a patch?

No, why? Parallel rows can be useful (to save space on the grid for ex.) but it's no must.

It's my understanding that in some cases running an effect block parallel helps with smoother x/y switching; the effect itself may momentarily drop out when switching scenes, but the main signal will still be present.

I guess I'm just going to have to experiment some more. I have all my blocks in line and I swear it changes my tone. That's why I thought I should run them parallel and bypassed and engage them when needed.

I guess I'm just going to have to experiment some more. I have all my blocks in line and I swear it changes my tone. That's why I thought I should run them parallel and bypassed and engage them when needed.

There are specific reasons you may want to run parallel vs series. For example, I run my Delay and Reverb parallel to each other because I don't want my Delay to have Reverb on repeats. I think it keeps Delay cleaner in mix. Just preference though, not a requirement.

Sent from my iPhone

Different applications as people have said.

Parallel: (Be SURE to check the manual and simeon's advice above.) This for me maintains the amp's tone more. You can dial in how much mix you want and there's less of an impact on volume.
Serial: Maybe a little harder to dial in, as it will affect tone and volume more. I like this better as I use it for that tonal change; for that 'difference maker' in a solo, or stanza, whatever.

Cliff has stated: Parallel is more of a sound engineer mentality, serial more of a guitarists mentality.

Edit: And to be annoyingly existential, it's all preference. What sounds good to you. When I first started playing with it, I did everything parallel, then once I spent more time with serial, liked it more as I could really use each delay/verb's/etc particular voice to it's fullest.

So now that I got some of your attention could you please suggest how you would set up a preset with the following blocks:
Comp,wah,drive,amp,gate,cab,volume,phase,flanger,chorus,tremolo,pitch,geq,delay,multi delay,and reverb.
I put them in a straight line with a feedback send and a feedback return and it changes my tone.
Thanks guys I recall appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom