OwnHammer V3 Mix Libraries Now Available!

Any speaker/cab combo that's good for a good John Mayerish tone? (I know Kevin said he'll be sampling marshall cab for fenderish tone but until then anything close will fill my fix ;). I'm impatient)

Ps. Kevin. I hate your sale scheme. You are making me purchase 10 cabs so I can get the frequency discount!! Boo!!! Oh.. Wondering if this discount works with credits I already have?

Dumble with EVL or Two Rock with Creambacks (2013+) or G12-65 (pre 2013)

damn you, now i will have to make more room to my full axe-fx 2 to get some new nice IRs :D (...1st world problems! AH!)

i almost didnt get time to digest cab pack 7,

that bogner clip sold me the GC-12...

and i think i wanna compare you mesa to CK's... just for fun ( i am sure both are great! i love cab pack 7)

hmm.... i have a couple days off next week, i will browse your libraries and buy some!

EDIT and question: is there a way i can remove some stock IR to make room for customs?? i use maybe 10 IR from the stock...

I prefer darker ir's as well. I feel like I can brighten up a darker ir easier than I can tame an overly bright one, if that makes any sense whatsoever....

It just seems to give some girth to the tone that I love.

Like the Ruby Rocket or Morgan AC-20 Bass -> dark IR.

Thanks, that makes sense although its hard to get that from the site. Looks like there needs to be some "insider info" to know about the price breaks. I'm good though.

Thanks!

Very welcome!

If it helps, it's in the global side bar menu that shows up on the home page and every page in the store. On the left, scroll down to the "General Information" side box and it is the top link. :)

These are outstanding! Grabbed the Lynchback in the Mesa cab and one of the V30's for the Bogner cab. Just by sampling the Mix libraries I've found that I can now hang around the #00 to #04 range and actually get to turn up a knob I've always had to keep low on the amp block......the Bass!!! I only had 20 minutes to fool around last night so I'm looking forward to getting home later tonight to tinker some more.

Just curious though I bought almost all the last cab packs, how would the mesa cab compare in general to engl? and is there a way to know what each speaker should sound like in a general sense, bright, dark etc.? Need some guidance.

Was about to start a thread about these, and no disrespect to Clark Kent, but they sound phenomenal...these mix IRs and FW18, the search is over...CONGRATS!!!

Whether it's FAS, OH or FAS/Clark, all the current offerings are exceptional.
I love the fact that OH is pumping out so many turn-key libraries at the moment.

There's definitely no disrespect. I'm friends with Kevin and I've been one of the biggest promoters of his work in the past and even present. I've stated many times that if I wasn't making my own IRs I would use Kevin's IRs. I can vouch for Kevin and myself. Other IR manufacturers I will not comment on. :D That's my final politically correct answer.

I do realize that people might not see the difference between what I do and what Kevin does. Obviously our mic technique is different. We both keep our business secrets. But besides that I love what Kevin is doing right now because it's a clear separation of what I'm doing. Kevin's basically creating guitar cabs that "do not exist" in this world. Please tell us who has put a G12C speaker in a 4x12 Mesa cab before Kevin did? No one! That's some advanced stuff. That's comparable to creating new amps by tweaking the advanced parameters inside the amp block. And that awesome metal clip of that G12C cab proves that there can be magical results.

However that's not what I do. Why would I since Kevin is already doing it properly? My philosophy is more along the lines of GAS which IMO is an essential part of being a guitarist. "I want the Mesa Recto cab!" or "I want the Orange PPC412 cab!" etc. So what I go for is creating complete digital representations of these cabs which in this case have been 4x12s meaning that they have 4 different sounding speakers in them. So f.ex. what you get if you purchase the Cab Pack 8 is the full British TV cabinet that doesn't break your back and has been worn in properly. Also I'm not sure if people know this but I did build a microphone robot that I move from the control room meaning that I don't run between the control room and the mic stand to find a sweet spot.

I think both Kevin and me share the philosophy of clean IRs. I can't speak for Kevin really but I'm not using any EQ or tricks to get my IRs to sound a specific way. They're all natural and I believe that's the case with OH also. I also remove power amp color and preamp color so what you get is just the actual microphone feed.

This is getting off-topic so I might just shoot a video explaining what I do and post it somewhere else. :)

Anyways I want to make sure that people don't think there's a rivalry between CK and OH. We try not to create the same product. So far all of the cabs that I've shot are cabs that OH hasn't done.

Kevin,

Seriously, these are absolutely incredible! From the Marshall 1960B, to the Mesa, Engl and Diezel V30s, holy smokes!!! Absolutely impeccable!! Thank you!!!

However that's not what I do. Why would I since Kevin is already doing it properly? My philosophy is more along the lines of GAS which IMO is an essential part of being a guitarist. "I want the Mesa Recto cab!" or "I want the Orange PPC412 cab!" etc. So what I go for is creating complete digital representations of these cabs which in this case have been 4x12s meaning that they have 4 different sounding speakers in them. So f.ex. what you get if you purchase the Cab Pack 8 is the full British TV cabinet that doesn't break your back and has been worn in properly. Also I'm not sure if people know this but I did build a microphone robot that I move from the control room meaning that I don't run between the control room and the mic stand to find a sweet spot.

Clark you gave a very good explanation of your philosophy, I think it should be mentioned in the store or somewhere where people (potential customers) can read it.

As for for OH, damn, still can't stop purchasing them going to hit 25% discount soon O_O. Got a question, probably a stupid one.
Why Bogner cab doesn't have any 8-ohm speaker option?

Just when I thought I was out, Kevin pulls me back in! Damn you!

I was seriously digging Cab Pack 7, (and still do for what I do) but Kevin's latest V3 offering just can not be overlooked. There is just so much variety here that there is something here to make everyone happy. Beyond that, these are possibly the clearest IR's I've every used. In other IR's I've used, there always seems to be overhyped frequencies somewhere, not in these V3 impulses. Everything just sounds right, the way an impulse was always originally meant to sound. There is something especially special in the high end of these impulses. When comparing real miced guitars to direct recorded Axe clips, I always felt there was some high end grit/hair/crispyness that just was never there, but these impulses are getting me closer than any others I've ever incorporated. I was beginning to feel it just was not attainable with impulses.

Beyond that, the new RAW impulses are genius. I'm in love with them so much I'd go so far as to say... Why would anyone use a precision impulse?

As always, amazing work Kevin!

Looking at purchasing some of the IRs - just wondering what the differences are between the actual cabinets. What I'm referring to is the Red Coat is available as an IR from the Mesa cab and the Engl cab. Thanks!

The cabinets are resonance chambers that alter the frequency response, phase relationship, and audible reflections. Most of the reason for the $5 price point of the V3 Mix Libraries is not that they are only worth that, I would feel justified selling them for 5 times that much (as is done elsewhere) given the quality and quantity of sounds available in each package, but that I expect people to endure some trial and error in finding what works for them. To this end, the same amount spent on V3 Mix libraries yields vastly more bang for the buck and diversity of possible tonalities. Textual descriptions, sound clips, and recommendations are for the most part generalizations that may be completely useless as they are the experience of person providing them which will differ in hands, guitars, amps, playback, application, and preference to anyone else. That said, briefly based on what is up now (or will be by tomorrow (Sunn)) in the commercial section:

Mesa cab is a very balanced, industry standard sound. Defined and middle of the road in the frequency spectrum. Recommended for pretty much anything, but is most used in hard rock and metal.

Engl cab has a comb filtered sound that people either love, or hate, not really a happy medium, but a unique and cool vibe. Mostly recommended for metal, but I know of some guys that love it as a cool Marshall rock alternative.

Diezel cab is like a less dull Marshall cab, a little saggy but crisp. Recommended for pretty much anything.

Bogner cab has a very woody, lively tonality to it. Recommended for pretty much anything.

Sunn cab has a much deeper internal distance to the back baffle, and has a lower resonance frequency (when you palm mute, you feel it further down in the bass region), and since it is front loaded, it is also up front and not muffled sounding in the midrange and high end. Djent paradise (think Veil of Maya's "The Common Man's Collapse" tone - Marc used an Emperor cab which is a replica of the vintage original Sunn 412S I have).

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for that cab description Kevin.

It really helps me to get the "typical" use / description even though for me personally I might deviate from the norm :)

Very welcome!

As well you should! For example, I mention today's usage of the Sunn cab is with V30's in djent, doom, and stoner tones, but in the 70's the original owner used it with the original stock Sunn Transducers (which I also sampled) in a funk band. There are no rules, and there is no spoon. :lol

Got a question, probably a stupid one. Why Bogner cab doesn't have any 8-ohm speaker option?

Not a stupid question at all. :) It will, just going down my text file list 60 or so long of the speakers I have, which one of the columns indicates impedance. Once I exhaust the 16-ohm ones in a week or two I'll switch over to the 8-ohm speakers. Soon I will be alternating back and forth every other day between the Bogner and 70's Marshall cab, and will be looking for those two to likely be the cabs that hit all 60 or so speaker options first. I have another surprise project I will be peppering in behind the scenes until it has reached A-bomb status, then I'll drop that in full as well. :devilish:

Kevin can you record a clip of the bogner cab with your 50/50 blend Ev-L and alnico for the chimey sound you were talking about? I'm thinking about picking that combo up to add to my ownhammer collection.

Back
Top Bottom