OwnHammer Speaker Cabinets Public Beta (free stuff inside)

I no longer understand what's going on in this thread, so many updates, but count me in for whatever it is that is going to happen.

Just wondered if someone could clarify, is there an imminent release of some new cabs using the new tech/methods involved in making this beta? If so then that's literally all I need to know :)

Spence

I don't want to speak on Kevin's behalf, but the poor guy has to be struggling to keep up just with answering questions on the forum, in addition to all he's doing on the OH stuff! Kevin, correct me if I'm wrong on what I say here:

I don't think there is an imminent release beyond what the public Beta already has done. Kevin had mentioned that he needs some different equipment to really re-shoot all the cabs properly and make for a new product release. I'd suggested that he run a Kickstarter campaign, which will help him raise capital and assess the market better. The Beta is a teaser, but gives a good impression of how revealing the new method is compared to previous efforts.

So...watch for a Kickstarter campaign announcement, and meanwhile enjoy what he's released for free.

Killer cabs! Really nice work here. You can get a lot of the "EQ" work done with just cabs. Dig the approach. Makes more sense to me as I am a drum sample manufacturer and this is set up like traditional "velocity layers".

Here is a patch with a couple of them... (Not at my Afx2 atm, but I think it's a F5/57 and a WF5-T30)

FAS Modern, heavy stuff

Attachments

• E - FAS Modern1.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 28
Kevin,

I just want to weigh in and say that I'd love to put $100 into a kickstarter to help fund this project. I'm looking forward to seeing you make this happen.

So I ended up doing a reamp with these irs. I did have to eq them but what astounded me was the fact that it sounded like a really nice Miced cab. It really did. Even when it got eq'd it behaved practically the same. I'm totally in this bandwagon.

I'm in with the kickstart! I for one would love to see ,better ir development! These are Great! anxious to see whats up next !

I'm hearing a commercial in my head, "IR's the final frontier" with an updated Star Trek theme playing. I haven't even had a chance to play with the test IRs as I've had crappy tooth trouble this week and haven't wanted to hear anything, but people seem universally excited. I'm ready to throw down on Kickstarter. Most people whose voices I've listened to a lot on the forum, including Cliff, say the IR piece is the biggest hurdle left and this appears to be the best game in town, particularly since I just got Nebula3 (though I haven't got it to work yet...ugh).

Very exciting. I'll look for the kickstarter announcement after the weekend.

...? That's BRUTAL!! I would double it! :mrgreen

Hoping to do as close to this as possible this weekend, lol. :)

... Please consider including a brief write up on each speaker (if you werent going to do that already) in the release notes or documentation so those of us without in depth knowledge of a particular speaker, it's history and or traditional application can ramp up quickly. ...

A long, long long long time ago I had a hidden page up where I was working on stuff like this, I just never had the time to finish it. I'll see what I can do about picking that back up and making a separate page for it or adding it to the FAQ or product description. The latter may be best as it may also allow for some info about how the pro's of the speaker and cab combo. For example, in the files I've worked with this week, I've come to find that the G12-65 with the MA200 mic and Bogner 4x12 was pretty good for the 80's hair thing, but it didn't really nail the Dumble thing. For that a different mic would be appropriate, as would an open back 2x12 cabinet. To this end, maybe I should have a proprietary cabinet review/overview section in what used to be my forum (and is now just a news section), linked in the product description in the store entry... This may also be a better avenue for the sound clips as well, as I could focus them around (my opinion of) the strengths of each library instead of a generalized competition page, which doesn't really allow for the best possible mic configuration or stylistic tones to be displayed. I'd like to do this, and will try to allocate the time to do so for each library.

I no longer understand what's going on in this thread, so many updates, but count me in for whatever it is that is going to happen.

Just wondered if someone could clarify, is there an imminent release of some new cabs using the new tech/methods involved in making this beta? If so then that's literally all I need to know :)

Spence

Lol, I don't blame you, this has gone all over the place. :) Basics are that as it stands the library is going to be roughly 6 times the size as it used to be. I have devised a "make everybody happy" scheme (which I have yet to detail, but will when I feel is appropriate), or what I hope will be, that will double that, but I need to pick up a couple pieces of gear first to do so. Right now I'm tapped out on the ability to spend without an infusion of capital, so the kind folks here suggested a kickstarter campaign. I'm going to try to get this going shortly after the weekend, and will consist of a "make your own bundle" type thing. The highest pricing tier will also be provided with an incentive pack something similar to the beta, but with 1 mic (MA200) and 5 different cab/speaker combo options. In this regard something is imminent, but full libraries still have a little bit to go before I can start development.

... I'm hearing a commercial in my head, "IR's the final frontier" with an updated Star Trek theme playing. ...

Hahaha, if I had any skills whatsoever at video editing at this point I would so do this...

... particularly since I just got Nebula3 (though I haven't got it to work yet...ugh). ...

It's a rough start, but once you've got it going you can't live without it (I can't at least, especially after what I've done with the cabs this time around). Check out my Nebula Platform FAQ, there may be something in there that helps, if not shoot me an email through my contact portal and I'll see if I can help with a quick diagnosis. The learning curve for this platform can be a little steep given the different approach to presentation and under abundance of proprietary and collected documentation. It's taken me the last 2.5 years to learn how to program properly for it if that says anything. :p

Yesterday I put together the MA200 captures of the 412-GTR Bogner 12H (G12H-30) and 12M (G12M-20). I'm not going to keep teasing you with glowing impressions, so I'll just say that they made me smile when doing A/B comparisons and I'm looking forward to getting them out. :) Maybe if I have time over the weekend or early next week I'll put together a quick comparison of the different Celestions in the 4x12 that I've done with the MA200 this past week with a Marshall type track (probably do a quick remix of the Cock Rock demo track).

Last edited:
... I have devised a "make everybody happy" scheme (which I have yet to detail, but will when I feel is appropriate), or what I hope will be, that will double that, but I need to pick up a couple pieces of gear first to do so. ...

What the hell, I'll throw down the basics now. As many of you that have been following this monster since the beginning, I'm going to add the Royer R101 mic. The other thing I'm going to do and have not let on about publicly yet is offer a second voicing option. As it stands now, everything in the beta is attributed to the "Modern" voicing which uses an appropriate outboard channel strip and appropriate settings across it. The sound (on top of the added depth and clarity which will be universal to both voicings) has a very slight mid scoop which is inherent to the channel strip and emphasizes choice frequencies that are great for a more in your face vibe. I've shot out enough gear to know what I want/need to achieve a second voicing, "Vintage", which will still be somewhat forward in sound but have more emphasis on a midrange bump instead of dip. This takes my 6 times the amount of work and makes it 12, so I'm really going above and beyond the call of duty and am hopeful this will translate into general acceptance and preference.

When the final release is made, I will also being going into more detail on what I'm using and what the position numbers equate to, but I need to be able to finish the library to make sure there are no deviations and any disclosure can remain consistent. My thoughts are that this will help with user confusion and comparative testing, and I'm OK with letting some things out to do so.

I tried to follow along, but please bear with me if I failed doing so...

Question: have the sysex files been corrected so that they load through midiOX? I read Cliff's comment but not if this would be dealt with.

I'd really like to try these IRs but don't want to use Axe-Edit (I don't use that at all, so I don't want to start now).

Sebastian,

Check post #153 from this thread. Also, from post #175:

As I posted before, if you download one of the files that has an invalid checksum it will just be ignored. Period. No borking is going on. I've done it many times during testing and I assure you my AxeFxII is totally unborked.

Hope this helps, however I have no visibility or insight into the ability to use midiOX, maybe others can comment on that.

hey guys,

here is a quick mix test i did with the fas modern. Threw this tune together in the last 30 mins. Strings may sound a little dead, but i just wanted to get one last recording out of them between i strip it down!

This is the W-F-5 impulse double tracked with no post-processing other than a high-pass at 90Hz to allow for the bass to sit nicely.

Hope you enjoy and feel free to give feedback!

P.S.. it has to be said again that Kevin has done a fantastic job with these IR's and i'm sure we'll all back him and buy this great product when it is released officially!

Ownhammer Beta Cab IR Test by Justin Woodward on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Question: have the sysex files been corrected so that they load through midiOX? I read Cliff's comment but not if this would be dealt with.

I'd really like to try these IRs but don't want to use Axe-Edit (I don't use that at all, so I don't want to start now).

Sebastian,

Download AxeOMatic DSP and you can try out the new cabs and mix them without using AxeEdit.

hey guys,

here is a quick mix test i did with the fas modern. Threw this tune together in the last 30 mins. Strings may sound a little dead, but i just wanted to get one last recording out of them between i strip it down!

This is the W-F-5 impulse double tracked with no post-processing other than a high-pass at 90Hz to allow for the bass to sit nicely.

Hope you enjoy and feel free to give feedback!

P.S.. it has to be said again that Kevin has done a fantastic job with these IR's and i'm sure we'll all back him and buy this great product when it is released officially!

Ownhammer Beta Cab IR Test by Justin Woodward on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Those guitars have got to weigh maybe what, 2, 3 tons, yet they still sit wide and clear in the mix. Sounds great man! :)

Those guitars have got to weigh maybe what, 2, 3 tons, yet they still sit wide and clear in the mix. Sounds great man!

Haha yeah but like you say they sound really clear to me and leave plenty of space for everything else. Even rolled off at 90Hz they still sound really fat, just as they do when you record real cabinets!

Can't believe the clarity either, and especially with dead strings!

Seriously great job with these IR's man!

I re-downloaded from the link on the first page and was now able to load them normally through Sysex Librarian.

The sound (on top of the added depth and clarity which will be universal to both voicings) has a very slight mid scoop which is inherent to the channel strip and emphasizes choice frequencies that are great for a more in your face vibe. I've shot out enough gear to know what I want/need to achieve a second voicing, "Vintage", which will still be somewhat forward in sound but have more emphasis on a midrange bump instead of dip.
cool to hear some of the finer details, Kevin. not that I want you to think to do even more work, and I'm more of a "modern" voicing kinda guy anyway when it comes to cabs and I'm sure los of folks will like a "vintage" option (including myself), how would a "neutral" (or as neutral as possible) option sound ? would that be a waste of time to have almost unaltered IRs or like a middle ground between "modern" and "vintage" ? just a question really...

I did some testing with the beta cabs and they sound very similar to ThhisOne IR that fremen has shared and very similar to the GuitarHack IRs, in other words... They sound beefy!

Back
Top Bottom