OwnHammer Speaker Cabinets Public Beta (free stuff inside)

ownhammer

Power User
Vendor
***** Edit *****

To anyone following this thread and aware of the potential Kickstarter campaign, I have decided to host that function myself so that I can get new files in people's hands immediately. While currently a little light on info, here is where to find the kickstarter packages:

Kickstarter Bundles : OwnHammer.com - Store

If more info is needed, check page 13 of this thread or contact me:

OwnHammer.com - Contact Form

Hello Everyone,

I have been very hard at work on multiple and varied projects over the last six months. One of these projects has been working on ways to improve and expand the Speaker Cabinets libraries to provide the best sounding product to the widest array of possible tastes and applications. I feel I have succeeded, and would like to see what you think as well.

Some of you may already be familiar with what I do, and others may not. To the uninitiated, what is included here is a small sampling from my 'middle of the road' (in terms of verbosity) package offering, and in this particular case of a Bogner 4x12 cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30's. Axe-Fx, Axe-Fx II, convolution reverb wave audio, and commercial Nebula file formats are provided here, and I encourage you all to compare as many of the different platforms as you can. For those working in the DAW, the Nebula implementation here simply cannot be beaten in terms of sound quality, realism, and ease of use with the programmable interface of multiple tone options.

This is a limited time offering, and will expire when all final decisions are made as the full library is released in the near future. If you like what you hear, please consider picking up the commercial version when it is released.

The public beta package can be downloaded from the following address:

http://www.ownhammer.com/free/OwnHammer-Public-Beta.zip

Please feel free to re-post the link wherever you'd like, the more exposure the better, but the files follow the same usage restrictions as the commercial libraries so re-hosting is expressly forbidden. Once the beta period expires and the offering is absorbed into the commercial library, the link and files will cease to exist.

I look forward to lurking through the threads on the various forums where this ends up and hearing any sound clips you may have to post; it helps get an idea for the kinds of musical styles, equipment, and tones most folks are after these days, and is also nice to see the results of all the hard work on display.

Enjoy, and look for more exciting developments to be unveiled in the coming months!

All the best,
Kevin
OwnHammer.com

Last edited:
I knew there was a reason to hang out after midnight! Thanks Kevin, I can't wait to check this stuff out!

So what is the major difference between the AXE-FX offerings here and Previous IR's from ownhammer?

Thanks Kev,

So you have found a new method of shooting the IR's? an epiphany?

Looking forward to trying them out.

Sounding great so far even though V30 are not usually for me. Can I ask what Fat and Warm actually mean in terms of your processing?

I'll just mention a couple of things: These IRs are quite a bit louder than others, and the name length of the WF IRs seems to be too long for the Axe FX display (or Axe Edit). Not a complaint, just an observation!

Now back to playing...

edit: Fat 5....wow!

An excerpt from the Readme file:

* Explanation of File Names *

If unfamiliar with previous OwnHammer libraries, there is a proprietary (and now expanded)
naming convention. Mic positions are not laid out in measurements, but arbitrary sequential
numbering. Within this numbering scheme are the following rules to follow:

- As positions change from 1 to 9, they go from brighter to darker respectively, as the mic
is swept in such a manner to provide such results. Start at position 5 and move outward or
inward from there, if necessary.
- The letter "F" preceding the position number indicates "Fat" mode. In this derivative you
will hear an increase in the more 'fat and thumpy' low frequencies.
- The letter "W" preceding the position number indicates "Warm" mode. In this derivative you
will hear an increase in body via additional low mid frequency information.
- The letters "WF" preceding the position number indicates "Warm & Fat" mode. This is a
combination of the Fat and Warm modes and has a significant increase in the girth and body in
relationship to the 9 normal mode positions.

To make parallel mixing of IR's a breeze for the Axe-Fx platforms, check out Axe-O-Matic DSP,
which can do this plus serial mixing of filters, and is available for Mac and Windows:

Axe-O-Matic DSP - $20.00 : OwnHammer.com - Store

All sales go directly to the developer of the application.

... So you have found a new method of shooting the IR's? an epiphany? ...

The differences between before and now are more than a single change, all while keeping the core basics the same. I took what I liked of what I had done before, then thought of how I could possibly a) do it better and b) appeal to more tonal aesthetics and applications than before. Prior to this, I could see how the "vintage" and FRFR user may shy away as things were primarily geared towards recording, and on the more hard rock/metal side of things. Now, in my opinion, there is nobody who can't find everything they want and need, and at a fidelity standard that is the desired paradox of smoother alone, yet still forward in a mix. What I noticed most about this latter condition was that in the context of recording, all the other instruments no longer suffered the stranglehold of the guitar in the stereo field. The guitar was more defined, yet so was everything else.

This whole thing came at no quick switch flip, it took time and a lot of cash. I bought, shot out, and am in the process of flipping most of near a dozen mic preamps as I wanted every single possible detail to be as perfect as possible.

Yes I read that...

An excerpt from the Readme file:

* Explanation of File Names *

If unfamiliar with previous OwnHammer libraries, there is a proprietary (and now expanded)
naming convention. Mic positions are not laid out in measurements, but arbitrary sequential
numbering. Within this numbering scheme are the following rules to follow:

- As positions change from 1 to 9, they go from brighter to darker respectively, as the mic
is swept in such a manner to provide such results. Start at position 5 and move outward or
inward from there, if necessary.
- The letter "F" preceding the position number indicates "Fat" mode. In this derivative you
will hear an increase in the more 'fat and thumpy' low frequencies.
- The letter "W" preceding the position number indicates "Warm" mode. In this derivative you
will hear an increase in body via additional low mid frequency information.
- The letters "WF" preceding the position number indicates "Warm & Fat" mode. This is a
combination of the Fat and Warm modes and has a significant increase in the girth and body in
relationship to the 9 normal mode positions.

To make parallel mixing of IR's a breeze for the Axe-Fx platforms, check out Axe-O-Matic DSP,
which can do this plus serial mixing of filters, and is available for Mac and Windows:

Axe-O-Matic DSP - $20.00 : OwnHammer.com - Store

All sales go directly to the developer of the application.

Sounding great so far even though V30 are not usually for me.

Glad to hear it! I was quite impressed with Scott's 'My Favorite Mistake' clip. Chime on cleans is not usually associated with a V30. :)

Can I ask what Fat and Warm actually mean in terms of your processing?

A lot of time and energy went into all the new methods and modes. At the current time I'm not ready to divulge what consists of the changes, and it's not that I don't want to inform users, but that I'd rather not spoon feed any commercial or freeware competition all the things I did to make these IR's sound the way they do.

I'll just mention a couple of things: These IRs are quite a bit louder than others, and the name length of the WF IRs seems to be too long for the Axe FX display (or Axe Edit). Not a complaint, just an observation!

The IR's are normalized to the same standards as everything else I've done and what I assume is everything else anyone else has done also. The increase you're hearing is in clarity. :) If the difference is profound (like twice the volume), then maybe in my sleep deprived state I forgot to change something out. I'll look to Scott to confirm as we had worked on something of the sort earlier today.

As per the cab display name, I don't have a Fractal product yet (still saving up for the II), but to my recollection unless something has changed all of the display name (32 characters) should be available. If it's only 30, then yes, I guess the position number will have been shaved off. Keep me posted, this is why we're beta. :) Also, you can rename them with Axe-O-Matic or aomDSP if you need to.

Couldn't wait until tomorrow to check these out. My initial reaction....WOW! These could very well be a game changer! These IRs have a lot going for them. Depth and clarity all in one! Man its going to be hard to go back to anything else.

I want more!!!!!!

Sounding great so far even though V30 are not usually for me. Can I ask what Fat and Warm actually mean in terms of your processing?

Now back to playing...

edit: Fat 5....wow!
I also confirm that they are louder than others, in fact 5 to 7 db louder. It's a problem only when comparing them to stock/user IRs though, and I must say they really sound great. it's like using an aural exciter compared to many other IRs

Back
Top Bottom