OwnHammer Speaker Cabinets Public Beta (free stuff inside)

In the middle of sampling just now I had another idea. Since convolution reverb makes things less apparent to differentiate between gear changes, I'm going to throw another variable in the mix - mic axis angle. Probably not going to disclose what is what, but after some brief testing and confirmation/affirmation, there will be 3 different mic angles amongst the 4 voicings. This is going to make things even more time consuming, but ultimately even more worthwhile. The comparison zip above is now not-applicable, so I'm going to yank it.

Also, I am at this point going to go backward on the PRO stuff and instead of an all inclusive pack stick with how I have it now and release at the microphone level. This way I can stick to the few standards/favorites and cut back on development time drastically, making things if/where there is demand or (admittedly) personal interest.

Spec, please don't eat your babies. :lol I got a kick out of that comment though, lol!

Kevin, you are the man !

I'm still enjoying the V2 beta and Tier 3 bonus IR's immensely - in fact that's all I'm using these days.

Keep up the good work

RB

Thanks for suggestions Kevin, so i guess i bought not what i was expecting :D will there be any way to upgrade V1 to V2 ?

Probably not going to disclose what is what, but after some brief testing and confirmation/affirmation, there will be 3 different mic angles amongst the 4 voicings.
I believe it would be cool to know what is what. that's one thing I liked bout the Redwirez stuff...you knew exactly how and where the mic was placed. maybe it's just me being a geek, but I like that kind of information...

I believe it would be cool to know what is what. that's one thing I liked bout the Redwirez stuff...you knew exactly how and where the mic was placed. maybe it's just me being a geek, but I like that kind of information...

Kinda helps keep a guy from groping around in the dark, too. If you have any studio experience and know what direction to move the mic to get a brighter tone, y need to know which direction you're virtually moving the mic.

Non-disclosure is a protective measure; there will always be wolves (most in sheep's clothing) out there looking for Granny's recipe. The position and tone descriptor associations should be plenty useful once the files are in hand to experience, it's just a very slight lateral paradigm shift in thinking and with little time and minimal exposure will be just as subconsciously intuitive. Right now it's all new so it feels a little unfamiliar but that feeling will quickly fade. Another thing to remember is that more and more guitarists who may have very little experience or knowledge with recording equipment or techniques are entering the field of use for these kind of files. It is my opinion that a middle ground must be found in relaying advanced equipment and capture techniques to both veteran recordists and those who would otherwise be completely in the dark and therefor off-put and soon uninterested.

Hoping later tomorrow I can re-upload some quick audio examples of all 16 voicing + mode combinations!

Due to the feeding frenzy of attention this has drawn (which has been absolutely wonderful and pretty exhausting all at the same time), I'm also going to do something kind of strange for the first release. I'll never do it again, and it's just a measure to try to decrease the frustration and anxiety of getting the first library out for myself and for everybody else. Next Friday I will take what I have done of the WAV library and I will post it to the site in a hidden container. What this means is the product ID will be active, but the category it's in will not, so it won't show up in the menu system, but if you have the URL (which I will post in this thread) you'll be able to get to the page and buy it. Doing a search (right side under the header) on the site for the product name (or any part of it) will also turn up the page (so you don't have to dig through here to find it). To this end, the license transfer store product is just like this. Each Friday following I will update what I have completed through to the final release. I'm not going to email out when I upload the new file, the way to tell will be to visit the product page in the store and at the bottom, I'll list the percentage complete of the library as a whole and when it was last updated. I'm not going to take requests on what mics to do first (it will be whatever is easiest for me to do given what I have on my plate for that day, some mics are more of a PITA than others), nor will I guarantee a minimum completion each week, so it is what it is - access to the first V2 WAV library as I'm making it.

hey kevin is this today?

I meant next Friday, the 23rd, sorry, I need to start specifying exact dates and times instead of days of the week. :eek:ops

Since I changed how I am doing what I am doing with the voicings upon a new thought yesterday I have effectively scrapped what I'd done up til now and started over. I could post it today if anybody interested is OK with there just being two mics (FatHead II, SM7B - again, I rebooted the procedure no more than maybe 24-48 hours ago?) in it and the fact that I've yet to send a single file to a beta tester so the files for those two mics may end up getting changed? I could take the time I was going to use today to make the 16 file audio comparison and compile/arrange all this and create the store entry? Or I could wait til next Friday when there'd be more recognizable and widely used mics available to possibly make a better first impression. I'm more inclined to the latter and wait until I have things I know people are familiar with and use regularly (like, say, the SM57 and TC30) than chance inexperience with those two mics leading to inaccurate comparison and review of the library as a whole based on an infant and possibly unfamiliar first offering.

Thoughts/opinions?

I think the more complete option upon release, the better. Myself, depending upon which speaker cabinet we're talking about (please be the Mesa or the full Bogner, please be the Mesa or the full Bogner...), I would prefer to start with a library of at least an SM57, a Royer 121, and a 421 so that I could get poppin' on tones that I'm used to immediately. I'm actually pretty excited about the MA200 as well.

Based on what I've heard from the beta, and your first generation IRs, I'm not too concerned about the quality of your product. So, I don't really feel like I need audio comparisons to get rocking on this. But that's just me. I don't require much hype to get excited. Easily entertained and all.

By the way, the new deal is this: I won't eat my kids if you make bass cab IRs. Otherwise, it's going on youtube. :eek:

:D

I meant next Friday, the 23rd, sorry, I need to start specifying exact dates and times instead of days of the week. :eek:ops

Since I changed how I am doing what I am doing with the voicings upon a new thought yesterday I have effectively scrapped what I'd done up til now and started over. I could post it today if anybody interested is OK with there just being two mics (FatHead II, SM7B - again, I rebooted the procedure no more than maybe 24-48 hours ago?) in it and the fact that I've yet to send a single file to a beta tester so the files for those two mics may end up getting changed? I could take the time I was going to use today to make the 16 file audio comparison and compile/arrange all this and create the store entry? Or I could wait til next Friday when there'd be more recognizable and widely used mics available to possibly make a better first impression. I'm more inclined to the latter and wait until I have things I know people are familiar with and use regularly (like, say, the SM57 and TC30) than chance inexperience with those two mics leading to inaccurate comparison and review of the library as a whole based on an infant and possibly unfamiliar first offering.

Thoughts/opinions?

An immediate release would be nice though.would give a taste and a bridge to the real thing for the many ( like myself) starter package waiters(wel worth waiting though)

Roland

An immediate release would be nice though.would give a taste and a bridge to the real thing for the many ( like myself) starter package waiters(wel worth waiting though)

Roland

Yes, but all things in context - are you really going to be hitting the most of your dialed tones up with a fathead and SM7B? They are great mics, but they are also very particular mics. Methinks we'd be better off with some more generally utilized gear so that we have a better idea of what to expect.

Yes, but all things in context - are you really going to be hitting the most of your dialed tones up with a fathead and SM7B? They are great mics, but they are also very particular mics. Methinks we'd be better off with some more generally utilized gear so that we have a better idea of what to expect.

Hmm YES and NO

Owning quite a range of IR's some with SM7B's would be an easy comparison on the AXE 2*

Roland

*If axe edit doesnt hate me that day

...Another factor that just came to mind - I'm going to be out of town pretty much the entire weekend and won't be able to update the slots for the jump starter buyers, for which I am certain I will get BOMBED with emails requesting such. I don't want to put this out and then not be able to start fulfilling orders from those buyers until next week, I don't think that's fair at all.

Sorry I didn't think this through to that conclusion prior to posting earlier, that's what happens when you're always doing 10 things at the same time on about 3 hours of sleep, I suppose. The Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays are always a mad dash to bounce around between cities visiting family, so right now I'm going to plan to get the SM57 and TC30 done early next week then put it out (the R121 is a new mic for me and it's going to take time testing the positions). I'll have my laptop with me at my in-laws and can try to fulfill email requests for jump starter slots, but I'm hoping that I can have it out Tuesday night then spend most of Wednesday during the morning/afternoon doing this and that most will email in within that time.

Back
Top Bottom