Owned Axe FX 2, 3, FM3, and sold them all. Couldn't get decent tones. What was I doing wrong?

Kept coming back to see whether I was wrong but every time I felt the same.

I live in an apartment and play late at night, midnight, etc. Don't like using headphones so I would play through my JBL305 studio monitors at a low volume.

The tones just didn't feel right, especially clean tones.

My process was as follows:

Load up amp and cab

pull up the preset level meter and increase the amp level until I'm near the 0 db line.

A lot of times, even when I did this, the tones were still too quiet at times, on my audio interface (Scarlet 6i6) not even hitting -12 db.

Especially trying to get clean tones. I would be able to hear my guitar strings sometimes louder than the actual tones. Yet music and youtube videos coming out of my system were at a good volume.

Through headphones things would sound bad.

Some presets were so quiet, I couldn't even hear the effects on them if they were one of the weird ones with tons of effects. Presets that were ambient pads, I couldn't hear at all at times.

All of this coming out of OUT 1, with the knob at about noon.

I then switched to OUT 2, set the mode to "Unity Gain" dimed the OUT 2 knob to max (On FM3), set the preset level using the meter, but it would still be extremely quiet.

However if I were to record the tones into a DAW and play it back, it would sound better than what I was hearing live.

I would get so frustrated that I sold them. 3 different units, at 3 different periods of time. All sold.

You would have better luck milking hamsters to make ice cream than to troubleshoot problems with gear you don’t have.

Just so we don't overanalyze...the OP may not have experienced the schooling the remainder of us have regards FAS products and instead of condemning him, may I suggest that his issue might have been legit, and was seeking help, from whatever modeler community that might bother to hear him?

We realize that he, too, may be a fish out of water here, but the fact is, the OP has not tried defending himself against the barrage of criticism heaped upon him.

Although I would hesitate defending him myself, I recognize when a large crowd gangs up on someone, and that individual at the center is defenseless.

Please. Do what your parents taught you about helping people. The FAS community has for some years now been anything but mean-spirited to most any and all, and this is what sets it apart from other forums.

Please maintain your good attitude towards folks who may ask questions even though the posts may seem like a troll post.

The way to finding the truth is to ask polite and tactful questions, instead of brow-beating someone into submission. Currently, and please forgive the comparison, but you guys are all acting like the bad cops, and I've yet to see one good one step in and calm the angry mob.

Moderators?

Just so we don't overanalyze...the OP may not have experienced the schooling the remainder of us have regards FAS products and instead of condemning him, may I suggest that his issue might have been legit, and was seeking help, from whatever modeler community that might bother to hear him?

We realize that he, too, may be a fish out of water here, but the fact is, the OP has not tried defending himself against the barrage of criticism heaped upon him.

Although I would hesitate defending him myself, I recognize when a large crowd gangs up on someone, and that individual at the center is defenseless.

Please. Do what your parents taught you about helping people. The FAS community has for some years now been anything but mean-spirited to most any and all, and this is what sets it apart from other forums.

Please maintain your good attitude towards folks who may ask questions even though the posts may seem like a troll post.

The way to finding the truth is to ask polite and tactful questions, instead of brow-beating someone into submission. Currently, and please forgive the comparison, but you guys are all acting like the bad cops, and I've yet to see one good one step in and calm the angry mob.

Moderators?

He sold all of his Fractal gear. There is literally nothing we can do to help him dial in gear that he does not possess.

Moderators?

I agree 110% with what you are saying and part of our strength is that we admonish each other when things get a bit out of control.

I just think a lot of us (myself included) concluded that he was not here looking for help since he has sold all of his gear. It just read to me as some sort of parting shot, (flipping the bird if you will) to Fractal and the community. Again, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time...

Couple of other thoughts I had that seem appropriate to add:

One is that all three Fractal platforms really excel at bedroom playing. In fact, with a decent pair of headphones it is easy-peasy to dial in a decent sound. So, not sure what the OP was doing wrong, but for others perhaps struggling with same - DO NOT SELL YOUR GEAR! Lol. Post your settings and preset on the forum and you will get more help that you probably need.

Two, and maybe it is just me, but I think others have noticed as well an uptick in forum members with a curious posting history suddenly launching a drive-by attack and then disappearing. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but it seems curiously related to Fractal increasingly making competitors' offerings less and less viable....

maybe it is just me, but I think others have noticed as well an uptick in forum members with a curious posting history suddenly launching a drive-by attack and then disappearing. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but it seems curiously related to Fractal increasingly making competitors' offerings less and less viable....
I've noticed this also - maybe some legit / maybe some just trolling for whoknowswhy or sent to plant seeds of doubt - hard to know. Though responses can seem harsh as noted above, I tend to have limited patience for OPs that don't stay engaged in a thread they created, or don't want to articulate their question / findings with any precision, or present vague findings without much clarifying explanation - all of which invites harsh responses, which are not that harsh actually imo (are we really so fragile?) + most legit OPs will weather the storm and even win over respect with some time taken for elaboration.

Last edited:
He sold all of his Fractal gear. There is literally nothing we can do to help him dial in gear that he does not possess.
That is what the OP said he did. Had the OP the patience to try to understand how the gear worked, he might have benefitted.
I agree 110% with what you are saying and part of our strength is that we admonish each other when things get a bit out of control.

I just think a lot of us (myself included) concluded that he was not here looking for help since he has sold all of his gear. It just read to me as some sort of parting shot, (flipping the bird if you will) to Fractal and the community. Again, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time...
My apologies for sounding like one who might defend the OP. Your view at least is supportive of maintaining peaceful commentary.

Please, read the following meme, and see if you can grasp why its important that we as a community learn from this...

oP0ngCA.jpg

I've noticed this also - maybe some legit / maybe some just trolling for whoknowswhy or sent to plant seeds of doubt - hard to know. Though responses can seem harsh as noted above, I tend to have limited patience for OPs that don't stay engaged in a thread they created, or don't want to articulate their question / findings with any precision, or present vague findings without much clarifying explanation - all of which invites harsh responses, which are not that harsh actually imo (are we really so fragile?) + most legit OPs will weather the storm and even win over respect with some time taken for elaboration.
TBH, I don't know what the OP's mindset was...but rather than pile on criticism, I see a possible solution:

The OP may have a legit concern, but the fact that he no longer owns FAS gear detracts from his point. In effect, there would be no point trying to discuss the ship that's already sailed.

It makes much better sense to see this as a fine line drawn that covers an imperfection. If we can "forgive" the imperfection, we benefit and can live peaceable lives. If we can't forgive it, we still must accept it (Maya Angelou).

The OP may have been trying to bring awareness to his plight, but not owning gear surely deadens his argument to a dull thud. I think what actually occurred was the OP was taking his lumps, but didn't answer for fear of being additionally brow-beaten.

Had we allowed him to speak his mind, even in his defense, and tried hearing him out, we might have learned the truth behind his story.

Moderators?

Angry mob? Bad cops? Huh?

Sorry, but your metaphors are reaching way too far and diminish the impact
of real abuse and mistreatment that people may encounter in life.

Angry mob? Bad cops? Huh?

Sorry, but your metaphors are reaching way too far and diminish the impact
of real abuse and mistreatment that people may encounter in life.

Yes, but what we learn begins at home. How much of that that extends outwards is a reflection of how we were taught early on. You make a valid point that an angry mob or bad cops was in itself an exaggeration. It made my point, did it not?

Sound like a loose screw behind the keyboard to me. :rolleyes:

It did not.
Do we need to pay to play? Yes.

Does taking someone's statement in question and judging him before he's had a chance to explain himself display justice in any form?

This is in fact what the group did to the OP. The OP did not reply because the group had questioned his statement and in effect, judged him without due process.

Truthfully, we should not judge others until they've stated their case and at least had a chance to defend themselves when brought into question.

This is why I mentioned bad cop/good cop. It may seem like an exaggeration, but how might any of you feel if you were in the OP's shoes? That was what I was trying to feel, and try to understand how any of us might feel in the same situation.

If any of you can feel empathy for someone, you can also know why its important to be forgiving if someone has erred and shows remorse. The group did not allow that to happen, because you had already judged him.

Does taking someone's statement in question and judging him before he's had a chance to explain himself display justice in any form?

This is in fact what the group did to the OP. The OP did not reply because the group had questioned his statement and in effect, judged him without due process.

Truthfully, we should not judge others until they've stated their case and at least had a chance to defend themselves when brought into question.

This is why I mentioned bad cop/good cop. It may seem like an exaggeration, but how might any of you feel if you were in the OP's shoes? That was what I was trying to feel, and try to understand how any of us might feel in the same situation.
The OP did not ask for help in this thread.

I'm not sure I understand the point of his original (and only) post in this thread. The only possible purpose I can deduce is that it was to stir the pot...

His post says he couldn't get good tones but also that he was playing so quietly that the acoustic sound of his guitar strings was louder. That's a major issue if you can't/won't use headphones.

In any case, the pot has been stirred and so I think the thread has lived it's life and would be best served if it were locked.

The OP did not ask for help in this thread.

I'm not sure I understand the point of his original (and only) post in this thread. The only possible purpose I can deduce is that it was to stir the pot...

His post says he couldn't get good tones but also that he was playing so quietly that the acoustic sound of his guitar strings was louder. That's a major issue if you can't/won't use headphones.

In any case, the pot has been stirred and so I think the thread has lived it's life and would be best served if it were locked.
That is true. This is also the reason why I suggested we let him make his case. I think we don't need to lock the thread, but should just let it fade into obscurity.

If any of you can feel empathy for someone, you can also know why its important to be forgiving if someone has erred and shows remorse. The group did not allow that to happen, because you had already judged him.
definitely some judgement going on here... - luckily I was well taught as a child to deal with all types of criticism thru articulate engagement and not to always interpret criticism as some sort of evil.

Back
Top Bottom