Output1 vs Output2 (poweramp/cab)

Se7en

Inspired
Hi,

I've read the manual, wiki and searched forums regarding the difference between output1 and output2. I've connected output1 XLR to Adam A7X and output2 to poweramp/Mesa 4x12 Cab. Have tried a Mesa 2:90 and Matrix GT800FX, same results.

In AxeEdit I have enabled FXLoop block without Cab block.
I've noticed a slighty different sound when I switch between output1 and output2, especially on the High Gain patches. Output1 gives better low end, richer sound while output2 sounds a little bit thinner. Not much but it's noticable. The preset are very simple: Drive-> Amp-> (1) FXloop (2) -> Cab> output1
When I connect output1 to poweramp the cab block is bypassed (global or in preset)

I have tried everything I can think of:
- Reset System parameter
- Tried different settings in the I/O menu
- Checked global eq
- Tried copy output1 to output2 setting...

Tradional preamps with fxloops, triaxis for example, there are a huge different between FXsend and output.
Is it the same with AxeFx 2?

That's weird ! There should not be any difference at all.
Have tou tried to use only the ampblock and the fx loop and the delete rest of the chain in the grid.
Then there can not be anything that differs between the two outputs I mean , if there is som bug in the firmware or something.

I've tried that =)
It's not a huge tone different but it's there. Output2 produce a kind of more digital sound.
Today I A/B triaxis lead2 yellow with Usa IIC.
I sat down for hours but the tone lacked something, thin/digital sound compared to triaxis.
Then I changed to output1, wow. 5 minutes of tweaking to nail the tone!
Maybe my Axe is faulty or something in config, I can't find it :|

(XLR from output1 also sounds great)

I've noticed a slighty different sound when I switch between output1 and output2, especially on the High Gain patches.
when you switch, are you using the exact same cables? i noticed you said you use xlr to adam monitors for out1 and out2 only uses 1/4" outputs.

so when you switched, did you switch between xlr and 1/4" cables? or did you try switching with the same 1/4" cables connected to the same poweramp?

I find that there is a difference between going out of Output 1 with xlr vs 1/4". There is a big drop in volume using the xlr but both sound good.

XLR should be louder - its a 6 db hotter signal due to the twin (balancing) signals.

As for OP1 and OP2 - if its set up to copy op1 to op2, and the global EQs and gains are the same - its the same output. Any difference your perceive are either:

1. different cables
2. different gain or EQ settings in global.
3. FX Loop send/return levels.
3. differences is front panel OP levels
4. In your head :)

Tried mine just to confirm and I get the same from either OP into my amp/cab.

Last edited:
Output PAD

I forgot to mention :

Check the output pads for output 1 and 2 (and set them at same) . That setting can cause distorsion if set wrong .

Hi,

I've read the manual, wiki and searched forums regarding the difference between output1 and output2. I've connected output1 XLR to Adam A7X and output2 to poweramp/Mesa 4x12 Cab. Have tried a Mesa 2:90 and Matrix GT800FX, same results.

In AxeEdit I have enabled FXLoop block without Cab block.
I've noticed a slighty different sound when I switch between output1 and output2, especially on the High Gain patches. Output1 gives better low end, richer sound while output2 sounds a little bit thinner. Not much but it's noticable. The preset are very simple: Drive-> Amp-> (1) FXloop (2) -> Cab> output1
When I connect output1 to poweramp the cab block is bypassed (global or in preset)

I have tried everything I can think of:
- Reset System parameter
- Tried different settings in the I/O menu
- Checked global eq
- Tried copy output1 to output2 setting...

Tradional preamps with fxloops, triaxis for example, there are a huge different between FXsend and output.
Is it the same with AxeFx 2?

The settings in I/O are exactly the same.
As I wrote in my first post, I've done a factory reset and compared every value.
It's not in my head, I just tried output1 to one cab and output2 to another one.
The tone from o2 is not the same as o1.
It's not a huge problem, but it would be nice to know if it's just my unit or if it's a known behaviour.

Here's what I did.

- I took two XLR-to-jack cables. Unbalanced to avoid signal level differences between the outputs.
- I set I/O Output 1 to stereo. Same for Output 2. I took out the FXL block from my preset and switched on Copy Out1 > Out2.
- I put the level knobs on the front panel for both outputs to the same position.
- I connected the cables between Out1 (jack) and my studio monitors (XLR), played and listened.
- Then switched the cables from Out1 to Out2, played and listened again.

No difference.

The settings in I/O are exactly the same.
As I wrote in my first post, I've done a factory reset and compared every value.
It's not in my head, I just tried output1 to one cab and output2 to another one.
The tone from o2 is not the same as o1.
It's not a huge problem, but it would be nice to know if it's just my unit or if it's a known behaviour.

Did you try switching cabs in your example above? To see if the tone that is different stayed with output 2, or stayed with one cab?

Record the output from each, compare? This has the ability to objectively prove if they are different.

Reactions: BBN
I think this might be the difference you are hearing, or I'm misinterpreting your statement. Even 2 [supposedly] identical cabs from same vendor with same speakers can sound different. Remember that speaker impedance ratings are *nominal* - not exact. Even with same signal going in, impedance and mechanical differences between speakers (like the Mon/Fri car), can cause two identical cabs to sound slightly different - unless you have a *matched set*!

A better test would be to record the first cab, then switch it to OUT2 and repeat the recording.
Then A/B.... If you still hear a difference then you either have a defective unit or defective ears :)

Back
Top Bottom