Output Question

Hello Everyone,

I've had my Axe Fx2 for a few days now and I'm really loving the unit! I just got one little thing that's always in the back of my mind as I jam...

I run my unit into the inputs of an M-Audio USB interface and have a pair of KRK VXT8 monitors coming out of the outputs of that same interface.

I'm using 4 balanced TRS cables for this set up (2 from Output 1 of my Axe Fx into the inputs of the interface and 2 into the outputs coming from my monitors), my question is, should I be using XLR cables out of Output 1 instead of the latter..and is there anything wrong with my current configuration?

Sorry for sounding like such an amateur here, and thank you in advance for any help I will be receiving.

I think the xlrs are a bit louder then the 1/4 outs, besides that, I think the cables between the axe and interface should be just ts if im not mistaken, or trs from the axe to ts in the interface to take advantage of the humbuster technology.

trs cables are fine for short distance! Have you tried taking the M-audio out of the loop? If recording only guitar you would have less going on if you used the axe as sound card and Interface through usb! connect the monitors direct to out put 1! also the axe fx can send 4 channels through usb to your daw 2 wet and 2 dry at one time!

trs cables are fine for short distance! Have you tried taking the M-audio out of the loop? If recording only guitar you would have less going on if you used the axe as sound card and Interface through usb! connect the monitors direct to out put 1! also the axe fx can send 4 channels through usb to your daw 2 wet and 2 dry at one time!

Okay, well my main concern was damaging my axe fx or not getting a 'clean' signal because I'm plugging balanced cables into unbalanced output jacks.

Well actually, I'm not recording guitars, I use this set up because my interface is a good control device. I'm using it to control the level of my computer (Backtracks, YouTube..etc..) as well as my Axe-Fx. It just makes it easy IMO.

Okay, well my main concern was damaging my axe fx or not getting a 'clean' signal because I'm plugging balanced cables into unbalanced output jacks.
You're not hurting anything, and you're not "dirtying" your signal. And I'll bet your signal sounds just fine. :)

Well actually, I'm not recording guitars, I use this set up because my interface is a good control device. I'm using it to control the level of my computer (Backtracks, YouTube..etc..) as well as my Axe-Fx. It just makes it easy IMO.
you can also control computer volume through axe fx if you wanted to, there is a usb play back volume control in the I/o! but if what you are doing works that's great! axe work's many ways!!!

You're not hurting anything, and you're not "dirtying" your signal. And I'll bet your signal sounds just fine. :)

Rex. Yeah I'm getting a great sound, especially when I get the chance to really crank it. That FAS Metal amp paired with the Citrus UR Cab is tonal heaven. :mrgreen

Anyway, thanks for the re-assurance, I can now jam in peace. :encouragement:

you can also control computer volume through axe fx if you wanted to, there is a usb play back volume control in the I/o! but if what you are doing works that's great! axe work's many ways!!!

Paranoid. I have my Axe Fx plugged into my computer at all times when in use so I can use Axe Edit. I haven't really explored the I/O settings to much, I've had the unit for less than a week! haha.

I'm using this setup because it's what I'm comfortable with at the moment, but once I dabble into recording with it I will mess with the I/O settings. With that being said, this definitely won't be my last question on the forum.:witless:

Thank you for your help and for making an Axe newbie like myself feel welcome in the the world of FAS. :)

the jack outs from output 1 are unbalanced, so you shouldn't be using trs cables. use normal ts cables instead, or use xlr to trs. your audio interface will be seeing a trs cable connected but only the tip will have signal. the ring will be connected to earth in the axe fx, so not good

the jack outs from output 1 are unbalanced, so you shouldn't be using trs cables. use normal ts cables instead, or use xlr to trs. your audio interface will be seeing a trs cable connected but only the tip will have signal. the ring will be connected to earth in the axe fx, so not good

Simeon. Thank you.

I'll stop using the TRS cables, the last thing I'd want to do is cause any sort of damage to my Axe Fx. I might have some XLR cables lying around somewhere.

I use TRS from output 1 straight to my studio monitors should I be using TS cables instead? Should I go XLR instead maybe?

I use TRS from output 1 straight to my studio monitors should I be using TS cables instead? Should I go XLR instead maybe?

According to Simeon it's "not so good", however I've read other articles that say otherwise.

I'm just going to take the conservative route and start using XLR cables, just to have that peace of mind.

According to Simeon it's "not so good", however I've read other articles that say otherwise.
There's no harm being done when you connect this way. A true balanced connection will give you a slightly hotter signal and better noise rejection. But if you're not having noise issues, there will be no audible difference.

There's no harm being done when you connect this way. A true balanced connection will give you a slightly hotter signal and better noise rejection. But if you're not having noise issues, there will be no audible difference.

Rex. My concerns aren't so much with sound, I just want to make sure that I'm not doing any sort of physical damage to the unit by having it connected this way.

I don't see how a signal cable would harm anything. With signal, it either works or doesn't work. (amps and power/voltage is another story).

I've used TRS to XLR cables for years with no problems, damage, or bad sound. You're fine.

Back
Top Bottom