Bug? OUTPUT 1 issue!! Level HALVED even with output 1 knob at MAX

rioda76

HELP !!!
Big problem guys, I need all of your help: the output 1 of my AxeFX II MK2 (Q1.01) is suddenly and inexplicably HALVED!
Friday in the studio, I noticed that my volume out of the cabinet (the Axe was connected to the return of an amp with 4cm method) was very low, even after bringing all levels almost to the maximum.
Ok, I thought that head or cabinet had problems.

On Saturday, at home, i connected the Axe with the PC as I usually do:
- Both outputs L and R analog output 1 to analog inputs of the sound card
- The S / PDIF port with S / PDIF port of the sound card
This is because I use to switch from analog channels to digital channels, depending on if i'm practicing or recording.

I start playing and ... !!!!
The level of output 1 was REALLY low!!
The VUmeters of the sound card show that the signal level of the L / R analog channels are half the level of SPDIF channel!!
I always used to set the level knob at 9 o'clock, and the volume was more than enough, and equal to spdif. Also in the studio hardly I got up more than that.
Now this happens:
output1 level knob from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock -> the volume perceived by the VUmeter is 0 to mid-scale (and half that of SPDIF)
output1 level knob from 6 o'clock onwards -> the volume perceived by the VUmeter does not get up any more than that, it remains to half

I checked BOOST / PAD for output1 but it's 0dB.
I reset the system parameters.
I've tried other cables.
I reinstalled the firmware Q 1.01
I connected the output "phones" with a mono cable to the L analog channel of the sound card, and the signal (L-channel only, obviously) was behaving normally, reaching a high level already only with dial at 9 o'clock.

What may have happened?? What can I do??

What Ian says, plus try with a brand new preset, just amp and cab. See if the behavior continues.

Even before that, got to UTILITY>VU (Page 4) and check the OUT 1 level while fiddling the output knob. What does it do?

What Ian says, plus try with a brand new preset, just amp and cab. See if the behavior continues.

Even before that, got to UTILITY>VU (Page 4) and check the OUT 1 level while fiddling the output knob. What does it do?
ok, i tried this: the vu meter for out 1 acts normally, it shows the absolute level, the level is high (around 0db as usual) and moving the knob from min to max doesn't affect the level shown in the VU...

Could it be a hardware problem?

Sounds like a signal path problem..
do you split your signal down separate levels in the grid?
Do you have something panned somewhere in one of the stereo blocks?

Have you plugged phones into the headphone output jack and validated that it's OK?
If you get same results thru phones as via ur sound card.. indicates AXE issue.
If phones are OK, but card input is not.. indicates a soundcard issue..

i'm not sure the physical Out knob on the front panel affects the meter.
now i tried installing an old firmware (v.17) and restoring old backups, but problem remains... so i installed Q1.01 and restored my last backup, nothing changed...
i think i tried any software solution

tell me one thing: if you take the jack slightly off his out1 port, do you hear a peak in the level? it should do so, because of the hum buster section of the port, right? i can't even hear that...

Again,
Did you check the headphone outputs..???
IIRC, they are a direct tap off the main L/R outs.
If those levels are off, then it's possibly an Axe issue...

Sounds like a signal path problem..
do you split your signal down separate levels in the grid?
Do you have something panned somewhere in one of the stereo blocks?

Have you plugged phones into the headphone output jack and validated that it's OK?
If you get same results thru phones as via ur sound card.. indicates AXE issue.
If phones are OK, but card input is not.. indicates a soundcard issue..
yes, i've got patches with separate levels etc, but i tried this even with factory presets (i.e. preset n.64 - 6160 II)...
i just tried with phones and the level is high and clear.
Another thing i tried was to connect the phones output with a mono cable to the L analog channel of the sound card, and the signal (L-channel only, obviously) was behaving normally, reaching a high level already only with dial at 9 o'clock. Same thing i tried with the R channel of the soundcard.
So i think the sound card analog port is not the problem.
As i mentioned, the first time i noticed something was wrong it was friday evening in the studio... i had to turn the speaker level to the maximum, because i wasn't able to hear myself... but i thought the speaker had problems.

Last edited:
headphone out using a 1/4" cable to a mixer/sound card might not be the best test because it is a different output level, but if it sends a healthy level to headphones, it may point to Output panel specifically.

i read the whole thread but didn't see this: it seems you are using the 1/4" outputs of Out 1. have you tried the XLR jacks? also, have you tried turning on the Echo function in the I/O Audio menu to copy Out 1 to Out 2 and using Out 2 as a test?

Again,
Did you check the headphone outputs..???
IIRC, they are a direct tap off the main L/R outs.
If those levels are off, then it's possibly an Axe issue...
yes i tried one more time just now, phones level is ok

headphone out using a 1/4" cable to a mixer/sound card might not be the best test because it is a different output level, but if it sends a healthy level to headphones, it may point to Output panel specifically.

i read the whole thread but didn't see this: it seems you are using the 1/4" outputs of Out 1. have you tried the XLR jacks? also, have you tried turning on the Echo function in the I/O Audio menu to copy Out 1 to Out 2 and using Out 2 as a test?
i can't try with XLR jacks because i don't have them here at home, but now i'll try with your suggestion n.2, wait a moment

ok, out 2 level is fine and reacts normally when i rotate the knob, even the sound card shows the level is ok... what should this mean?

maybe contact support at this point. it sounds like a hardware issue, but could be as simple as loose connections or something (i don't know though). you can submit a ticket here, and i suggest linking this thread in your ticket so they can catch up on what we've already discussed:

http://support.fractalaudio.com

thank you so much Chris, you are great
i'll try with the support, even if my warranty has expired...
in the worst case i'll go on using out2 in out1-echo-mode :eek:

It does not but there's a reading on that page that tells you the position of the knob. Does it show 0-100% or not as you go from full off to full on?
yes, it goes from 0 to 100, i noticed that when you told me to check this page

Hmmm, then hardware it must be! Support you should contact!
I assume you've tried using regular mono cables, not humbusters, right?

Back
Top Bottom