Orville incoming! (Update- Recieved + An Edwards LPC!)

The last week or so I’ve been digging into Les Paul’s a bit more, due to the release of the Adam Jones Epiphone and wanting to see how it compared to Norlin-era LP’s. In the midst of that, I was bit by the LP bug for the first time in 30 years of playing guitar. I only really thought the Customs were interesting previous to the last week, but as I was digging around the MIJ LP’s, (Edwards, Burny, Orville, Greco) I came across a few that looked really nice.

I wasn’t even guitar shopping, but I ended up putting a couple on my watch lists and figured I’d give myself 24 hours to debate buying one, knowing I’m still definitely buying the Adam Jones Epi when the next run goes on sale. As I lay there watching TV, I kept thinking about this one particular Orville that had a beautiful top on it. It eventually got the best of me and in 30 seconds of consecutive movements, no hesitation between them, the guitar was ordered.

View attachment 113317
View attachment 113318
View attachment 113319

I cannot wait to get my hands on this. I can’t even remember the last time I played a Les Paul. I’m generally not down with the single cut thing, I’ve always wanted an LPC since seeing Chris DeGarmo with one when I first started playing, but I always thought of those as kinda separate from LP’s, oddly enough.

Not sure which pickups I’m going to put in this, but I’m hellbent on putting zebras in there. Cream/black zebras.

The first week I have it, my neighbors are just going to hear the main lick from “Estranged“ over and over again.
Stunning top....

Great looking guitar. I can always find one or two Orville's at the pawn shops here in Okinawa. Haven't bought one yet because my rack is full of Edwards, Tokai, and FujiGen LPs. Quality builds in sound and play.

What is amusing is that all of the Japanese guitars players need to have a Gibson or Fender...at exorbitant prices.

There’s a slight possibility that an Edwards LP Custom was just purchased. :tearsofjoy:

Also, I can’t remember exactly what years the Orville’s were made in the Fujigen plant, but I want to say towards the end they were being made there? I took in so much info about the 4 MIJ companies in the last few days my head is spinning a bit.

Last edited:
Degarmo, now you're talking!

I've been primarily a strat guy but I've always wanted a LP so managed to get a great deal on a 90s Burny Super Grade a couple of Christmas's ago and it's worth every penny
I'm also after an Epiphone, the Lifeson one

Yours ooks like a stunning guitar and I hope it works for you.
I m after epiphone alex lifeson but impossible to find one in Europe ...
Have you some news about new model ?

I m after epiphone alex lifeson but impossible to find one in Europe ...
Have you some news about new model ?

Unfortunately not, sir! I didn’t even know it existed until I saw the post here about it!

I’d imagine there’s an Epiphone forum and the members there might have more info about it. I only know about the release dates of the Adam Jones Epi after reading about it on forums.

Good luck, man! That looks like a killer guitar!!

There’s a slight possibility that an Edwards LP Custom was just purchased. :tearsofjoy:

Also, I can’t remember exactly what years the Orville’s were made in the Fujigen plant, but I want to say towards the end they were being made there? I took in so much info about the 4 MIJ companies in the last few days my head is spinning a bit.
All Orvilles are good ,better than most of the other 'copy' Les Pauls out there and better than quite a lot with Gibson written on.

Nothing is much better (and nerve racking) than waiting for a guitar to arrive.👍 Have to stay home for sure!
Yes it is. Me and a buddy of mine used to buy performance motorcycle parts for our bikes, and we worked outside in residential neighborhoods, so we'd have the items shipped to whatever job we were on that month (back when shippers wouldn't just leave packages on your porch for pirates to steal, ya know, the good ole days!)

So every so often a truck would come by and just as he (or me, whomever was 'expecting' that day) was really focused on whatever work he was doing, and timed perfectly to the few minutes he'd actually stopped thinking about his parts arriving that day, I'd yell, "UPS!!" It never got old.

I just tried a 21st-century tactic to try and get Rev's heart racing about his highly-anticipated arrival, but it didn't work! Lol

When my most recent guitar arrived, the driver was taking an awful long time getting out of the truck, so I went around to the back open door to find him looking through all the packages, of which they're really wasn't that many, and for a minute there I almost had a heart attack thinking it was somehow not on the truck!

Yeah, it'll make you anxious! But damn, when you open that case for the first time.... It's like you hear angels singing, clouds parting, and rays of sunshine beaming down! Aaaahhhh! (That's a G, btw.)

I have found the canada post driver on more than one occasion while on my lunch break hehe.

Yes it is. Me and a buddy of mine used to buy performance motorcycle parts for our bikes, and we worked outside in residential neighborhoods, so we'd have the items shipped to whatever job we were on that month (back when shippers wouldn't just leave packages on your porch for pirates to steal, ya know, the good ole days!)

So every so often a truck would come by and just as he (or me, whomever was 'expecting' that day) was really focused on whatever work he was doing, and timed perfectly to the few minutes he'd actually stopped thinking about his parts arriving that day, I'd yell, "UPS!!" It never got old.

I just tried a 21st-century tactic to try and get Rev's heart racing about his highly-anticipated arrival, but it didn't work! Lol

When my most recent guitar arrived, the driver was taking an awful long time getting out of the truck, so I went around to the back open door to find him looking through all the packages, of which they're really wasn't that many, and for a minute there I almost had a heart attack thinking it was somehow not on the truck!

Yeah, it'll make you anxious! But damn, when you open that case for the first time.... It's like you hear angels singing, clouds parting, and rays of sunshine beaming down! Aaaahhhh! (That's a G, btw.)

Oh, so you have some experience with fucking with people and deliveries? Ya don’t say. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

No and I’m worn out from the anxiousness. It made it to Orlando than the big red exclamation mark popped up saying Shipment Exception, which means something happened to slow the process down. The times (10:55AM-4:15PM) haven’t changed, but it’s 4:08PM. I don’t know how late FedEx delivers until, but I can’t take tomorrow off and I need to sign for this.

No and I’m worn out from the anxiousness. It made it to Orlando than the big red exclamation mark popped up saying Shipment Exception, which means something happened to slow the process down. The times (10:55AM-4:15PM) haven’t changed, but it’s 4:08PM. I don’t know how late FedEx delivers until, but I can’t take tomorrow off and I need to sign for this.
Bummer!

In case this helps...

You may be able to change delivery to a FedEx office where you can pickup after work tomorrow. I've had to do that a couple of times.

Bummer!

In case this helps...

You may be able to change delivery to a FedEx office where you can pickup after work tomorrow. I've had to do that a couple of times.

The Walgreens about 1000 feet from my apartment is a drop off location, but I might just have one of my buddies hang out at the apartment. The tracker says it’s still expected tonight, but that red exclamation mark isn’t gone yet and it stopped in Orlando.

I got the Aldrich pickup, though! That was fun to look at for 10 seconds. :tearsofjoy:

The Walgreens about 1000 feet from my apartment is a drop off location, but I might just have one of my buddies hang out at the apartment. The tracker says it’s still expected tonight, but that red exclamation mark isn’t gone yet and it stopped in Orlando.

I got the Aldrich pickup, though! That was fun to look at for 10 seconds. :tearsofjoy:
It's good to have a contingency plan. It's also good to have a buddy you can count on.

Yep, cuz I’m going to need it! It’s delayed until tomorrow now. :(

Waaaaah, I have to wait 5 whole days to get a guitar! Hahahah….oh I’m getting spoiled, I used to have to wait years to buy a guitar.
Sorry to hear this. If it makes you feel any better Fedex has been less than 100% since the lockdown. Their tracking use to be on the button, but has been squirrelly of late. It is is the holidays and stuff so that’s a legit issue, but I think they are having trouble with keeping reliable drivers so they wait until they have full trucks. I’m sure it will make it tomorrow.

Oh and gas prices I imagine have something to do with not sending out partial loads.

Back
Top Bottom