opinions and advice: gilmour patch

MauroDave

Hi everyone, I'm a fractal neophyte (but I've been using digital for some time) and I need your help and advice.
my lifelong goal is to achieve the gilmour sound, I'm a real fanatic XD
I found these patches from Gilmour's Digital which from the examples on YouTube seem crazy and perfect. I leave you the example links.
I would like to understand if they are really well made or if they are a rip-off, they seem too good to be true.
has anyone tried them? reviews? thanks so much for your help

Have a look at Marco Fanton's YouTube channel. He sells one but with the video you can also build it yourself I think.
I use a self made version with the vid for a mash-up of "Feel" (Robbie Williams) including the solo part of Brick in the wall.

Have a look at Marco Fanton's YouTube channel. He sells one but with the video you can also build it yourself I think.
I use a self made version with the vid for a mash-up of "Feel" (Robbie Williams) including the solo part of Brick in the wall.
Thanks but I've already seen everything on the topic. Fanton is good but he doesn't make faithful replicas when he interprets. Furthermore, I have already tried one of his Gilmour patches when I was using Helix and I wasn't satisfied.
more than anything I would like to understand, in the videos posted of the patches he uses axe fx 3, I would like to understand if quality is lost in fm3 by necessarily having to give up some blocks

Thanks but I've already seen everything on the topic. Fanton is good but he doesn't make faithful replicas when he interprets. Furthermore, I have already tried one of his Gilmour patches when I was using Helix and I wasn't satisfied.
more than anything I would like to understand, in the videos posted of the patches he uses axe fx 3, I would like to understand if quality is lost in fm3 by necessarily having to give up some blocks
He interpretes as we all do somehow by nature. Anyway, if it's not the same patch it's probably not the same sound. The same patch/equal FW version should sound the same on both HW. I translated some FX3 patches of iaresee to FM3 and as long as there is no block suppression they sound identical, at least to my ears.

He interpretes as we all do somehow by nature. Anyway, if it's not the same patch it's probably not the same sound. The same patch/equal FW version should sound the same on both HW. I translated some FX3 patches of iaresee to FM3 and as long as there is no block suppression they sound identical, at least to my ears.
the patch is sold as identical but due to CPU problems you have to give up some blocks (e.g. 1 rotary instead of two, one amp instead of two etc..) but will they sound identical as it says?

the patch is sold as identical but due to CPU problems you have to give up some blocks (e.g. 1 rotary instead of two, one amp instead of two etc..) but will they sound identical as it says?

It will not sound identical. He will not be able to use the Alembic Preamp Block that he copied from me in front of another Amp block with the Hiwatt, because the FM3 only allows one instance of Amp block

I did DIY a clone of the real Alembic and I spent many hours doing A/B comparisons, answering his questions through private message, and tweaking his requests. I was naive to think that he would share his results, as I always do with my work, but he is selling it for money.

I am glad that I used a group-buy to purchase that pack, so at the end it was very cheap for me.
Think About It GIF by Identity

It will not sound identical. He will not be able to use the Alembic Preamp Block that he copied from me in front of another Amp block with the Hiwatt, because the FM3 only allows one instance of Amp block

I did DIY a clone of the real Alembic and I spent many hours doing A/B comparisons, answering his questions through private message, and tweaking his requests. I was naive to think that he would share his results, as I always do with my work, but he is selling it for money.

I am glad that I used a group-buy to purchase that pack, so at the end it was very cheap for me.
you're basically telling me that the only way to make them sound the same is to have at least fm9...?

you're basically telling me that the only way to make them sound the same is to have at least fm9...?
I am not familiar with the limitations of the FM9, but if it allows two AMP blocks, two Rotaries and two CABs, that is one step forward.

One thing I noticed in his pack is that he included one of my commercial IRs, without asking.

This is the structure of these presets (I will avoid calling them "his" presets). It would require many sacrifices to fit on the FM3
1695652080838.png

BTW: the AMP block settings you see above is my clone of my Alembic pictured below

01.jpg

This is the structure of these presets (I will avoid calling them "his" presets). It would require many sacrifices to fit on the FM3
View attachment 127147

BTW: the AMP block settings you see above is my clone of my Alembic pictured below

View attachment 127149
great contribution the editor screenshots!
we should have a screenshot of the pack on fm3 to understand better......mmm....the doubts increase...
but this chain seems very well made, it should sound good with the emg, I don't understand how it can sound unsatisfactory to you... send some tests lol

I wouldn’t adise buying those presets, outside of the morality things already brought up, those presets were made several FW’s back and don’t really work with the current FW iteration. He updated them once after Cliff updated the compressors but has not done so since, or if he has he’s not telling customers.

Overall, I found the effects in those presets to be a great starting point, but I had to tweak the shit out of the amp/drive tones to get anywhere close to the ballpark.The Gilmour tones thing is basically my hobby within a hobby, every few weeks I‘ll spend time tweaking them to get closer (I want to nail all the PULSE tones) but it’s not the priority right now. Once I’m done I’ll post everything up, but here’s some work in progress clips-

I wouldn’t adise buying those presets, outside of the morality things already brought up, those presets were made several FW’s back and don’t really work with the current FW iteration. He updated them once after Cliff updated the compressors but has not done so since, or if he has he’s not telling customers.

Overall, I found the effects in those presets to be a great starting point, but I had to tweak the shit out of the amp/drive tones to get anywhere close to the ballpark.The Gilmour tones thing is basically my hobby within a hobby, every few weeks I‘ll spend time tweaking them to get closer (I want to nail all the PULSE tones) but it’s not the priority right now. Once I’m done I’ll post everything up, but here’s some work in progress clips-

sorry, so every preset we make at the next firmware update changes the sound performance and we have to go and calibrate it? it would be hell!should keep all the past!

Say you owned a real life Mesa Mark II. You don't have to upgrade to a Mark IV, V, etc, but you might want to, for new features, and/or updated tones. If you did, things would sound different, unless you tweaked your settings, and maybe even if you did.

Same deal here, only w the Axe, you can back up your settings, and roll back if you don't think the new deal is an improvement overall.

Make sense?

sorry, so every preset we make at the next firmware update changes the sound performance and we have to go and calibrate it? it would be hell!should keep all the past!

Not every single time and 95% of the time it’s a minor tweak, or you’re actually removing stuff you no longer need and freeing up space. It entirely depends what the update pertains to and its context in your presets. The last few updates to the modeling algorithm only had me doing very minor things like dialing the bass back or adding it in. Occasionally there will be a bigger update to the FW and there’s more work to be done, but the updates have increasingly cut down on the amount of time it takes to get a final result.

That said, if you go a year without updating, a lot can happen in that time. There are reputable preset vendors here that update them when these bigger updates come out. And once you thoroughly understand how the update changed the presets, it’s easy to know exactly where to go to correct it. And some updates deliver something good enough where you’re actually excited about going through and updating

It sounds daunting at first but it’s not, there’s a reason there’s a few guys here who are waiting in the update threads pressing F5 over and over. :D

Not for every firmware. The FW updates normally bring very welcomed improvements that do not affect the old presets. But there was a major change in the AMP block when FW16.0 "Cygnus" was released in 2021. Cygnus brought new modeling algorithms.

Many users, specially the ones that do not tweak advanced parameters, didn't had to do to do anything. They just reported a better tone. Otherwise, the AMP block is automatically adapted to the new algorithm by resetting it. And there is a 3rd party app called "FracTool" that can do the reset without touching the parameters that you specify.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom