One technical problem I'm having with new II

The only fix is to send it back and have the encoder replaced. We had a bad batch of encoders. You'll notice that it does it at a specific area in the rotation. The shaft apparently has a defect that causes the switches to not open in the correct sequence.

Is there any way of knowing which units might have this issue? i.e. SN's?

The issue seems to have significantly diminished as I break mine in.

I concur. The first couple days it happened often. Now it just rears its head on occasion. Though thinking about it, with the AxeEdit release and Nav button use I haven't used the Value knob nearly as much.

The only fix is to send it back and have the encoder replaced. We had a bad batch of encoders. You'll notice that it does it at a specific area in the rotation. The shaft apparently has a defect that causes the switches to not open in the correct sequence.
Cliff, thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot more sense than just a bunch of them (all of the first X units?) being dirty.

The issue seems to have significantly diminished as I break mine in.
I still have the issue, but I've just learned to accommodate it.

I concur. The first couple days it happened often. Now it just rears its head on occasion. Though thinking about it, with the AxeEdit release and Nav button use I haven't used the Value knob nearly as much.
A couple of small niggles with Axe-Edit are preventing me from using it exclusively, but yes this will definitely reduce the need to use the front panel.

Now, all that said, I'm still not sending my unit in any time soon, because a) this is just not a big deal, b) I have no plans to sell it, and c) I don't want to be without it!

this seems pretty crazy to me! this is def something that should have been caught up in QA / Beta testing! this is an expensive "pro" peice of gear isnt it? ive never had an Eventide unit with any issues, heck my line 6 gear doesnt have any issues. makes you wonder if they missed this, what else could have been a "bad batch" and fail down the road? was saving up my cash for an axe2 but now i dont know if its worth the investment....especially since i would have to ship my unit overseas to be fixed....there is not fractal distributor where i live. hmmm.....bit of a worry really :roll

this seems pretty crazy to me! this is def something that should have been caught up in QA / Beta testing! this is an expensive "pro" peice of gear isnt it? ive never had an Eventide unit with any issues, heck my line 6 gear doesnt have any issues. makes you wonder if they missed this, what else could have been a "bad batch" and fail down the road? was saving up my cash for an axe2 but now i dont know if its worth the investment....especially since i would have to ship my unit overseas to be fixed....there is not fractal distributor where i live. hmmm.....bit of a worry really :roll
Just because your particular line 6 or eventide product didn't have a problem doesn't mean they don't come up. Line 6 x3 had extremely high rates of failure. I had memory issue with my first eventide eclipse. You don't even know if this issue was on the beta testing unit.

My question to Fractal is - will it get worse or will it stay the same as it is?
Actually I did have the same encoder problem with my Ultra for a while. I do believe it was a slightly common issue then too. Not a make or break thing for me though, just a little annoying when in a rush. But I never sent it in for a replacement and it seemed to cure itself over time for what its worth. The encoder on my Ultra works consistantly everytime now.

My question to Fractal is - will it get worse or will it stay the same as it is?

Actually I did have the same encoder problem with my Ultra for a while. I do believe it was a slightly common issue then too. Not a make or break thing for me though, just a little annoying when in a rush. But I never sent it in for a replacement and it seemed to cure itself over time for what its worth. The encoder on my Ultra works consistantly everytime now.

Thanks Capricorn :)

Would love to hear from Fractal regarding this.

I posted a response a few pages back.

With all due respect...

My question was will the encoder "most likely" degrade over time or will it "most likely" perform the same as it does now?

If it stays the same I (& many others) might not feel it necessary to return for repair.

Other than the headphone cable ,I guess ?

Well, there are repairs...then there are REPAIRS. Placing a simple cable in an adaptor is no big deal. Tightening a faceplate screw is no big deal. Hovering over the unit with a soldering iron is a big deal.

Seems like Fractal is trying to balance common sense with convenience.

Well, there are repairs...then there are REPAIRS. Placing a simple cable in an adaptor is no big deal. Tightening a faceplate screw is no big deal. Hovering over the unit with a soldering iron is a big deal.

Seems like Fractal is trying to balance common sense with convenience.

Thanks for a sensible reply, can definitely understand the logic . Not everybody is all thumbs though, ya know....;)

Thanks for a sensible reply, can definitely understand the logic . Not everybody is all thumbs though, ya know....;)

True. Problem is that Fractal would be obligated to fix someone's mistake should they 'authorize' a repair... Not really Cliff's style to say 'repair at your own risk'...he fixes it for free, so that seems to be a pretty good deal.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom