One Preset, Two Guitar Outputs, Each with a separate Axe Out?

cayingst

I have a Godin LGX-SA with a piezo output and a pickup output. Essentially, I want to take the stereo Axe II and use it as two mono processors.

I tried the setup recommended by Chris at Katsukuri Media (allowing you to blend the two outputs), but for processing reasons I would rather be able to separate the piezo from the pickup output.

I have built a preset with a piezo line of fx and a separate pickup line of fx. I have a mixer at the beginning of each line and have hard panned left for electric and right for acoustic. I have tried both mono and stereo modes. I have played around with the I/O to no avail.

Invested more hours than I care to admit, have searched the Wiki, and watched every Chris K. video I could find.... Now I ask the collective wisdom of the Forum.

How do I input piezo & pickup into one preset and output each "line" of the preset on its own output?

Thanks,

Assuming you want these sounds at Out 1 L/R and have the initial mixers set correctly: go to the layout menu's mixer page and set the balance for those rows left/right. Or just use balance of the last block in each row. Make sure Input 1 & Output 1 modes = stereo.

Thanks for the help. I verified my settings.

Front input is my pickup & Input 1 right (on the rear) is my Piezo

I/O settings: Input source - Analog (IN 1); Input 1 left select - Front; Input 1 mode - stereo; Output 1 mode - stereo

Piezo String: Mix - Bal is right, Output mode Stereo; Comp, Tube Pre, //digital mono delay; Rev; Vol - Input select - right only, Both L & R pan - panned right;

Pickup string - Mix - Bal is left, Output mode Stereo; Comp, Wah, // pitch, phaser, to drive, amp, cab to // digital mono flange, analog mono Cho to dig. mono delay to Reverb.

My Electric is supposed to be out of Output 1 left and my Piezo is supposed to be out of Output 1 right.

Incidentally, the Acoustic is right on the front panel LED's and the electric is on the left of the LEDS.

I would be happy to post the patch, but will have to figure out how to do that.

Thanks again for helping me figure this out.

Last edited:
pull up the patch on the axe. connect to your computer via usb cable. open up fractalbot on your computer and hit the receive tab. the rest is pretty self explanatory. once you have the patch on your desktop, come back here and post a reply - as you do so, hit the "advanced" button and scroll down - you can upload the patch into your post

if you can't manage all that, try this. replace the mixer blocks at the start of the chains with volume blocks and set them to Left In and Right In. don't pan anything about in the blocks in each row. you should then be able to hear the piezo and the mags processed separately. then page right from layout to the page where you have individual levels and pans for each row (plus the master patch level). pan the rows you're using left and right

did you upload the correct preset?

ZItgxKkCgI1drq2J

Just do what bakerman stated go to the layout menu, set the balance or Row 1 and three hard right and left and it should work. You have some overkill on panning in the patch but it still should work. I would use volume blocks instead of mixers in front with in input selects set to Right and Left.

It looks like it just needed row 1 balanced right. The reverb takes care of row 3 = left if always on, but that could also be done at the layout mixer instead.

BTW the compressor in Row 1 won't do anything w/ sidechain select = Row 2. Change that to block L+R.

the patch was a mess, to be honest with you, but i didn't think it was my place to change anything other than the pan/individual processing. it may not be finished.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for helping me solve this. It was my first stab at building a patch. I have mostly modified existing stuff.

Simeon, would be interested in your thoughts on how to clean up the "mess" of my patch. Perhaps PM me if the thread is not the place.

Simeon, would be interested in your thoughts on how to clean up the "mess" of my patch. Perhaps PM me if the thread is not the place.

well "mess" was probably the wrong word...i apologise if it came across as insulting...

what i noticed straight away...

the relative levels of each side were very different
the compressor was set up incorrectly (as bakerman pointed out)
there was way too much reverb on the mag side
the eq on the piezo side was very dark (i'm using graphtech saddles, so it may sound very different with your guitar)
the piezo side could have done with a bit more processing....and perhaps a cab with an acoustic IR
the mag side had quite a strange sound...i wasn't sure what you were going for...you had a clean amp with a drive in front, which sounded pretty gnarly to me, with the drive on or off

i know it's tricky, because running two lines like this can lead to cpu shortage pretty quickly, but with a bit of fine tuning and some creative routing, you can get some very nice results... certainly using mono lo-res cabs can save a ton of cpu...

i'd be happy to have a more detailed look and a bit of a tweak if you'd like me to...if you can explain what you were going for on the mag side :)

Simeon,

Please set up a patch like this the way you would do it. I am also trying to do this but have trouble with the acoustic IR's. I have downloaded several IR"s but only a few work. Does one need something like a Fishman aura to create their own IR's? Thank you for your time and consideration in this.

Randy

Simeon,

Thanks for the insight. I use my Axe to lead worship and need the flexibility to switch to acoustic and in all of that cover a lot of different styles of music.

My first goal in the patch was to be operational from acoustic/electric split standpoint.

I spent way more time on that end of it. I tried several things on the acoustic side, including the vol. blocks but just could not get it separated. Tonally, of course, I wanted my RMC piezo saddles to sound like a fine, mic'ed Taylor or Martin;-), so I tried a couple of acoustic IR's from the exchange but didn't like them. In the end, ran out of time, and set something up to get me through the service.

FYI, I started off by using the stock 012 USA clean patch (the one I posted first) and adding the acoustic line to that. I have run into CPU load issues. So I tried to modify the electric to reduce the load.

My goal on the pickup side was to have patches that would be general, all-purpose patches to cover a variety of needs within the worship setting. I use two presets each with three scenes.

The Acoustic & Electric patch is mainly used clean, with the ability to mute the acoustic. The scenes for that patch give me varying amounts of drive.

The second patch (013 USA Clean 2) gives me more drive and I use it for medium crunch rhythm and moderately overdriven leads.

For both of these patches I use an alternate preset (USA lead - 014) as my lead sound.

FYI, I run directly into FOH and monitor with in-ears.

I really appreciate the help with the routing and the patch itself. Although worship leading and playing guitar are a prominent part of what I do, understanding the Axe and seeking the holy grail of tones is often sacrificed to meet the needs of the people I pastor. Truly no regrets there, but it does keep me humble and in awe of the people who have mastered this beast:).

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom