One Guitar - 2 tunings (strobing)

Keg8605

Power User
So I have a new strat that I thoroughly enjoy playing. However I'm in 2 bands. One plays in standard and the other eb.

I'm curious of the best way to setup the guitar to work pretty well for both. I enjoy the feel of 10's in standard.

Maybe 11's for eb then? Just looking for some pointers.

Thanks

If I'm going to tune down a half-step I will always go up a gauge. That said, if you want to get really picky about tension there are a few online string tension calculators online that make it easy for you to find the specific individual string gauges that will give the most similar tensions between the two tunings.

Do a proper setup for Eb and use a tension-adjustable capo for the other band. A fret-1 capo shouldn't have any impact on intonation with a proper setup. I know several guys that do this with acoustic dreadnaughts. They don't djent, though.

Do a proper setup for Eb and use a tension-adjustable capo for the other band. A fret-1 capo shouldn't have any impact on intonation with a proper setup. I know several guys that do this with acoustic dreadnaughts. They don't djent, though.
Props to those who do this, though I just couldn't jive with the open tones from the capo. Plus I play more often gigs with the "standard" tuned band. I'd definitely be making a decent amount of mistakes in both bands, if I did this.

If I'm going to tune down a half-step I will always go up a gauge. That said, if you want to get really picky about tension there are a few online string tension calculators online that make it easy for you to find the specific individual string gauges that will give the most similar tensions between the two tunings.

Hmm I'll look into those calculators if anything just out of curiousity. Its funny how the 11's even 1/2 step down end up feeling a little bit tighter than 10's in standard. I wonder if the heavy bottom/ light top sets might be perfect...

This calculator is cool - Everything is pretty darn close with 11's (eb), except the e string has a bit more tension.

String Note Gauge Tension (D'Addario 10's in E)
1 E 4 0.0100 in. 16.22 lbs
2 B 3 0.0130 in. 15.39 lbs
3 G 3 0.0170 in. 16.58 lbs
4 D 3 0.0260 in. 18.39 lbs
5 A 2 0.0360 in. 19.04 lbs
6 E 2 0.0460 in. 16.91 lbs

11's in Eb
Gauge
Tension

0.0110 in. 17.49 lbs
0.0140 in. 15.90 lbs
0.0180 in. 16.56 lbs
0.0280 in. 18.81 lbs
0.0380 in. 18.67 lbs
0.0490 in. 16.90 lbs

Did you try using a 10.5 for high E? I don't know if you normally use D'addarios but I think they're the only company that offers half gauges.

Yea I usually use the D'addario regular light 10s. I figured closest possible tension is the 11's set with 10.5 for the E if I want to be extra picky lol.

E at 10 is 16.22 lbs.
Eb at 11 is 17.49 lbs
Eb at 10.5 is 15.94.

Thanks again for pointing me towards the calculator Matt!

For my drop c guitar, I still use 10-52 and don't have problems. I can see why people would want heavier, but I it's not gonna be a huge problem.

I've mostly played 1/2 step since first picking up the guitar and I use 10's...no need to go up a gauge for only 1/2 step IMHO.

The idea is strobing/intonation/ being in tune. Going back and forth between the two quite often for gigs, its nice to have similar action, feel and good intonation. A guitar strobed for E Standard and then dropped to Eb with the same strings won't be in tune as well. If you can make all of these things similar by using a different set of strings (gauges), then why not.

i personally wouldn't even consider changing gauges going down half a step....a full step maybe, not a half...it's not worth the trouble.

I guess for me I just don't see any trouble since I'd be restringing my guitar either way. Two separate bands, two separate tunings, and I just use 11's for eb...10's for e.

if i had gigs with different bands on back to back nights, or within a day or so, i'm not restringing. definitely not for a half step tuning drop. but to each his own.

could always just dry to live with a pitch pedal.

if i had gigs with different bands on back to back nights, or within a day or so, i'm not restringing. definitely not for a half step tuning drop. but to each his own.

could always just dry to live with a pitch pedal.
That's a good suggestion.

I have a Morpheus drop tune pedal for this purpose, and if you're only going a half step or one step, its pretty much completely transparent.

Different strings have different tension even with the same gauge. Some have tension in their specs. So it should be possible to keep the gauge and have a bit higher tension.

I've dealt with this a bit lately.. I have to have a guitar setup for Eb vs. standard E.. and I do the same, jumping from 10's to 11's for Eb. There's too much difference for me otherwise, tuning down a half step with a guitar setup for 10's. This is on my main Strat, which has a fairly large neck (i.e., fairly stable). Has me thinking about trying to find another Strat that can hang w/ my main one. Plus I want a hardtail...

Back
Top Bottom