Once again: What new music are you listening to?

I don't know why, maybe because I'm in a working band, but I haven't really been listening to that much music on the regular, these days.

However, when I do crank it up, other than my own music, I've been hitting up Chevelle a lot, but I just got tickets to their Houston show a few days ago, the whole band is going. I've also been hitting up some older stuff like Supertramp, older Smashing Pumpkins, and older Rush, but I attribute that to "research". I've been listening to a lot of what I consider "well recorded albums" because we are about to record our first album, and I'm listening for examples so I can push our engineer in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ocean (if you're a fan of Isis or Neurosis you'll love this)
Intronaut (same style as above)
Tigran Hamasyan (amazing pianist, just check out one of his youtube vids)
Hedvig Mollestad Trio (crazy three-piece Norwegian band; guitarist is a female jazz musician, really cool music)
The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza (not for everyone)
Twelve Foot Ninja (kind of a Faith No More vibe, great vocals)

Recently:

Ayreon: The Theory of Everything
Stravinsky: Rite of Spring
Mahavishnu Orchestra: Inner Mounting Flame
Cynic: Kindly Bent to Free Us (it was streaming, going to have to buy that one)
Jeremy Soule: Skyrim Soundtrack
Sonata Arctica: Winterheart's Guild
Jorn Lande: Everything

William Shatner - Has Been
Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
Bob Mould - Silver Age
Killing Joke - MMXII
Miles Davis - Live from the Fillmore East (I am really digging his crazy jams from this era)
Soundgarden - King Animal
Luke Bryan - Tailgates & Tanlines

Vince Gill - Bakersfield. Just nails the Bakersfield sound. Vince's tone is outstanding, Paul Franklin plays pedal steel like nobody has for decades. If you like Merle Haggard and Buck Owens over Nashville pop, or Nashville pulp, this is worth a listen.

Otherwise it's the same old stuff:
Steely Dan - the early stuff from Can't Buy a Thrill to Goucho
Beat Farmers - Tales of the New West
Miles Davis - Nefertiti (great version of Wayne Shorter's Pinocchio)
Weather Report - Mr Gone (a blazing fast cover of Pinocchio with Jaco Pistorious taking bass where it hadn't been before or since).
Pat Metheny - Travels
Bill Frisell - Disfarmer

Marco Sfogli - Remarcoble
Scale The Summit - The collective
Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope
Scar Symmetry - Holographic universe
Amorphis - Circle
The Aristocrats - Culture clash
Biffy Clyro - Opposites
Dead Letter Circus - The catalyst fire
Floating Me - Floating me
Incura - Incura
Kingcrow - In crescendo
Felix Martin - The scenic album

Frontline Assembly
Alter Bridge
Skindred
Lisa Gerrard
M83
Behemoth
Gary Numan

+1 for Skindred :)

I don't have much time but I listen 2 CDs in my car while driving to work these days, one of them is Skindred "Kill the Power" and the other is Carcass "Surgical Steel".

Steven Wilson - "The Raven That Would Not Sing". Pretty amazing stuff!
Got around to checking this out. I realllllly, dig it. I'm so glad to hear that despite the technical prowess of the players he employed for this album (including Guthrie), they all chose to play maturely throughout. It really is beautiful album. Instantly, it might be in my top favorites of material by him.

This is what was added fairly recently to my iTunes:

Johnny Marr – The Messenger
The Revelations – Concrete Blues
The Airborne Toxic Event – The Airborne Toxic Event
Zac Brown Band – The Grohl Sessions
Arctic Monkeys – AM
Twenty One Pilots - Vessel

I have never been a big fan of "prog" music, but over the last couple of years I have got into both Porcupine Tree and Flying Colors, as well as the newest Steven Wilson solo disk - all are amazing and have been mentioned by others, but just to add another plus one!

In addition, the following are great in different ways:

Tedeschi Trucks Band - great singing, great playing, very "organic" songs

Sonny Landreth - Elemental Journey is an outstanding instrumental album full of really good slide playing (and a few cool guests, too)

Ed Sheeran - This guy writes great tunes and has a big future in front of him

Rilo Kiley - interesting band, but no longer together... lots of unique guitar parts

Kevin

Ed Sheeran - This guy writes great tunes and has a big future in front of him
I have heard a few bits and pieces of him and have invariably been impressed with what he does. No "impressed" in a Steve Vai kind of way, more like "I LIKE that. Who is it? Oh, that Ed Sheeran chap again. I liked that other thing I heard of his. Must checck out some more."

Sigh. I need to get some sleep...

I have heard a few bits and pieces of him and have invariably been impressed with what he does. No "impressed" in a Steve Vai kind of way, more like "I LIKE that. Who is it? Oh, that Ed Sheeran chap again. I liked that other thing I heard of his. Must checck out some more."

You definitely should!

A few other bands that I really dig... nothing really "new", but maybe under the radar for some.

These are all more or less lumped under the genre of "jam bands", though they are all unique and talented:

Phish / Trey Anastasio

Umphrey's McGhee

moe.

Also, if you don't know about Matthias "IA" Eklundh, you owe it to yourself to check him out. Outstanding technique, great melodic sense, can and does shred your face off, sense of humor and absolute master of harmonics!

Back
Top Bottom