Once again: What new music are you listening to?

electronpirate

Axe-Master
It's time. Doesn't necessarily need to be 'new', but in this day and age, much good music is overlooked in the sea of self-production.

I'll start: (I noticed I'm on a folky bender right now.
-Stephen Chapman Curtis (faith based rock).
-The White Buffalo (folky dour)
-Jack Savoretti (pretty good poet)
-Zac Brown Band (The Grohl Sessions...odd. Dave has definitely made his mark, and they're more technical, but still ZBB accessible.)
-Jason Aldean (it could just be that I like the rockin' country vibe. Recto's next to fiddles gives me a little bit of a chub.)
-Eric Church (The Outsiders is a wild ride.)

You?

R

I'm all over the place when it comes to music. Lately I've been listening to done fusion such as

Tom Quayle
Martin miller
The aristocrats

As of yesterday,

Bone thugs and harmony
2pac
KC and jojo

:lol

Allan Holdworth' ---> Sand & Atavachron

Animals As Leaders

Deftones

King Crimson

Mahavisnu Orchestra

Juda's Priest

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Mr. bungle

PFM Premiata Forneria Marconi

Tribal Tech

Allman Brothers Band

The Mars Volta

I don't say nothing about Jimi , Led Zep and so on ....

Because I think we NEED to listen at the fathers even to appreciate the sons ... Govan , Abasi etc..

I'll just comment on music I have been listening to as of lately, not neccessarily new.

Miles Davis
Parliment
After the Burial
Slightly Stoopid
Black Keys
Periphery
Animals As Leaders
Within the Ruins
Gov't Mule
Kendrick Lamar
Pretty Lights
Lots of Jazz/fusion/funk station on Pandora

I could go on...

It's time. Doesn't necessarily need to be 'new', but in this day and age, much good music is overlooked in the sea of self-production.

I'll start: (I noticed I'm on a folky bender right now.
-Stephen Chapman Curtis (faith based rock).
-The White Buffalo (folky dour)
-Jack Savoretti (pretty good poet)
-Zac Brown Band (The Grohl Sessions...odd. Dave has definitely made his mark, and they're more technical, but still ZBB accessible.)
-Jason Aldean (it could just be that I like the rockin' country vibe. Recto's next to fiddles gives me a little bit of a chub.)
-Eric Church (The Outsiders is a wild ride.)

You?

R

If your goal was to enumerate all Artist unknown to me... target achieved !!

I have to check some name ...

Big Wreck
Killswitch Engage
The Answer
Monster Magnet
Kvelertak
Texas Hippie Coalition
Rival Sons
Living Colour
Wolfmother
Alice In Chains
Graveyard
And offcourse Foo Figthers

And stuff in that range :)

Really like making radiochannels on Spotify, and this way explore alot of new music I would never have heard of.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it new, but I've been pulling out "Flying Colors" from 2012.
I recommend getting the DVD. Here's them doing an old Dregs tune called Odyssey

They've written the next album. Might get that released this year.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it new, but I've been pulling out "Flying Colors" from 2012.
I recommend getting the DVD. Here's them doing an old Dregs tune called Odyssey

They've written the next album. Might get that released this year.

Wow, how have I missed these guys. World class musicians ripping.

Wow, how have I missed these guys. World class musicians ripping.
Ripping in 2012 nonetheless with new material and more on the way. Get the "live in Europe" DVD. You'll dig it.

Flying colors are basically prog-rock monsters (dregs, dream theatre, spock's beard) just having fun being a band and writing music…imagine that. The songs are interesting lyrically and musically with decent hooks. That's refreshing to see in a group with monster chops.

Steve Morse is a prolific composer. I think people forget that.

Frontline Assembly
Alter Bridge
Skindred
Lisa Gerrard
M83
Behemoth
Gary Numan

Last edited:
Old and new: Christ Whitley: Din of Ecstasy and Dislocation Blues. Frank Zappa: Roxy and Elsewhere and Uncle Meat. Anything by Howlin' Wolf. Handsome Boy Modeling School (yeah, I know - a friggin stupid name), Patterson Hood (his solo stuff id GREAT), Neil Young, Soundgarden (saw Chris Cornell solo recently - one of the best concerts I've EVER attended), Marla Mase: Half Life, Kevin Jenkins: Step Inside, Tomas Doncker Band: Howlin' Wolf Tribute EP, Lael Summer: Burden to Bear, Portishead, Eddie Vedder, the Black Keys, P.J. Harvey, Bob Mould, Kanye West (he may be an ass, but his new album is experimental genius), Sleater-Kinney, Richard Hell and the Voidoids (Robert Quine is God - if only he'd recorded more), Soul Coughing (still sounds fresh and original to me), A Perfect Circle, Tool, Badly Drawn Boy, Gong, Larry Coryell, Stanley Clarke, Gershwin, Brahms.

Back
Top Bottom