On Tour with My Axe-Fx Ultra and Loving it!!!

Rocketboss

Hey everyone, first time poster long time learner on the forum here.
I just wanted to give a shout out to the whole Fractal community. I just completed the Canadian leg of the current Guns N’ Roses world tour. I’m playing guitar for Sebastian Bach and we’re opening the shows. We just did 19 shows across Canada and my Ultra performed flawlessly very night! I must say the tones coming from this rig were absolutely fantastic.
I controlled the Ultra with a Liquidfoot jr. and a Mission Expression pedal, ART SLA-2 and a couple of Diezel 4x12’s. The rig was mic’d for this tour but I’m in the process of preparing to give a direct signal to FOH. I’ve got a couple of local gigs this weekend and will be testing and tweaking. The next leg of the tour will kick off the 5th of March; we’re heading to South America. At this point I’m not sure what the backline requirements will be, but I’m hoping to incorporate the Axe for some more killer tones.
I wanted to thank all the forum members for this awesome knowledge base and everyone close to Fractal that have been so good to me, Matt “Matman” you are the MAN!, Tom, Sean, Scott and Jeff at Liquidfoot, you guys all ROCK! Thanks so much! Also a special thanks to Mr. Chase for creating and continuing to develop this revolutionary piece of gear!!!
Nick Sterling
Here’s a picture of my current Rig!
FractalRig.JPG

Hey Nick
Welcome to the forum brother - close to identical monikers I see :D
Good to know the Ultra deliveres for you like it does for me in the studio and all stages.
Nice to see the Ultra on more and more big stages, getting well deserved exposure.
I´m sure a lot of users would appreciate if you´d post more about your experiences down the line.
And ......."keep on rocking in the free world"
RB

Hey Nick,

Very nice rig, I bet it sounds as good as it looks!

Do you have any links to high quality recordings of you playing it live?

Would love to hear it.

Cheers. :mrgreen:

Hey, Nick. Congrats on the gig with Sebastian! That has got to be one wild ride, dude. Wear a helmet...and a condom...and a condom on your helmet...good Lord, man! Just be careful out there! :lol: Glad to see you're climbing the ladder. You've had very high hopes placed on you from a very early age, so it's good to see you still playing and getting cool gigs. So many "child prodigies" burn out, get screwed up, etc. before they ever have a chance to succeed or fail on their own. It's way cool that you're out there doing what you love to do. Keep it up! All kinds of good thoughts coming to you from the 602, 480, and 623. (How did this post degrade in to a "shout-out" on a hip hop station?) Anyway, wishes for continued success from Snotsdale! :mrgreen:

Hey Nick,

Can you tell us a bit about the amps/tones your using in the Ultra, how many patches do you use in a show. Solo Boosts etc.

That would be wildly appreciated.

Twenty

Right on, glads it working for you. Good luck on the rest of your tour. I had checked out some of your youtube stuff. You have some serious chops my friend. Awesome.

BTW, I think you have one of the most supportive Dads on the planet :D
Very cool to see.

And yes, Matt is the man :lol:

Cool rig! I've herd some new Sebastian Bach songs on teh yootubes. They are sounding REALLY good. Not sure if you've had a hand in those or not, but if so, keep up the good work! And i second the request for vid clips of the rig in action!

:eek: :D :D :D

The CAA is just for show isn't it? If not it soon will be!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ugeek:

Awesome rig! Thanks for sharing.

Rig pics always lead to more questions though :) I'm curious of the roles of the CAA and the SLA2. Are you using CAA as a poweramp and the SLA2 is there for backup? If the SLA2 is the primary poweramp driving the Diezel cabs, then 1) what's the CAA for and 2) why an SLA2 and not a Crown Macrotech or something else more, given that you have rackspace? (and a crew to haul the rack around)

Jiffzillla said:
Hey, Nick. Congrats on the gig with Sebastian! That has got to be one wild ride, dude. Wear a helmet...and a condom...and a condom on your helmet...good Lord, man! Just be careful out there! :lol: Glad to see you're climbing the ladder. You've had very high hopes placed on you from a very early age, so it's good to see you still playing and getting cool gigs. So many "child prodigies" burn out, get screwed up, etc. before they ever have a chance to succeed or fail on their own. It's way cool that you're out there doing what you love to do. Keep it up! All kinds of good thoughts coming to you from the 602, 480, and 623. (How did this post degrade in to a "shout-out" on a hip hop station?) Anyway, wishes for continued success from Snotsdale! :mrgreen:

Hey Man, Thanks for the words of encouragement! Life on the road is “Super Cool and Totally Crazy”!

twentytwenty said:
Hey Nick,

Can you tell us a bit about the amps/tones your using in the Ultra, how many patches do you use in a show. Solo Boosts etc.

That would be wildly appreciated.

Twenty

Hi Twenty,
For the Bach gig I'm using basically four presets.

Preset #1-For the classic Skid Row tunes, I’m using the Brown amp model(hot rodded Marshall).

Preset #2- For Baz’s newer stuff off of Angel Down, Dropped a half step, Dropped D tunings, I’m working with the New Recto! Awesome!!

Preset #3- Is an Uberschall. We’re actually doing some songs that I wrote a couple years ago. Baz wants to include some of them on the next record which we could get started on after the South America tour. It’s so cool to have this amp patch because I used an Uber when I tracked these originally. The Axe is nailing that tone!

Preset #4- Is my clear patch, which is a tweaked version of the EJ Clean preset.
On presets 1, 2 and 3 I use the step through feature on the Liquidfoot Jr. which is by stepping on the preset button a second time it gives you a second version of the preset. So what I’ve done is make this the boosted lead for the base amp. I’m just using a filter set to null and hitting the amp with an extra 2 or 3 db’s of boost. I’ve also made the delay and verb a little wetter for a little more sing. The Step thru feature is perfect for your lead tone. Works Great!!!

Each patch has a button designated for delay and reverb and also a modulation, chorus, pitch etc,. I’ve also got a tap tempo button that doubles as the tuner when held. It’s a pretty powerful little controller.

Robboman said:
Awesome rig! Thanks for sharing.

Rig pics always lead to more questions though :) I'm curious of the roles of the CAA and the SLA2. Are you using CAA as a poweramp and the SLA2 is there for backup? If the SLA2 is the primary poweramp driving the Diezel cabs, then 1) what's the CAA for and 2) why an SLA2 and not a Crown Macrotech or something else more, given that you have rackspace? (and a crew to haul the rack around)
Hey Robbo,
For this last tour I ran the Art as my power every night. Either stereo or most of the time it was bridged mono and I just used one of the Diezel cabs. For anyone wondering, the Art is LOUD! Bridged it will thump you in the chest. Having the two cabs is really overkill; it just helps balance the stage visually. The G N’R stage is huge and the monitor system is pretty incredible. I had no issues hearing myself anywhere on stage and you can be a good 70 or 80 ft. from your rig.

The OD 100 is one of my favorite amps. It has been my main amp for the last three year, but on this tour it was the backup, never even turned it on. I also had a second Art SLA-2 with me just in case I needed more volume in the arenas, but the P.A. handles any of those issues.

Back
Top Bottom