On a Mission - let's go for FOUR...

The more I mess with four pedals, the more I am liking this idea. Three pedals and that little guy would be very cool and do the exact job I want.

Would be awesome if u could press on that knob and it would Quick toggle on and off. I would def take a couple if u could.

The more I mess with four pedals, the more I am liking this idea. Three pedals and that little guy would be very cool and do the exact job I want.

That really is a cool idea.

Plus if you map one to delay time, you get to do the rock star thing and bend down to your board for a big octave drop at the end of an epic solo. :)

Scott, would all four pedals and right angled cables fit on the board in a level position?

The Pedaltrain has 'slats' that you need to route the cables under; it is a disadvantage to running cables cleanly if you want to run them over the slats; and 90 degree TRS are likewise 'interesting' to fit on a flat surface board with the Mission pedals because you have two jacks right next to each other.

Good question.

The Pedaltrain has 'slats' that you need to route the cables under; it is a disadvantage to running cables cleanly if you want to run them over the slats; and 90 degree TRS are likewise 'interesting' to fit on a flat surface board with the Mission pedals because you have two jacks right next to each other.

Good question.

I guess the front jacked pedals like EV's have a slight advantage on a flat board:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/56526-two-pedalboards-i-worked-today.html

Hey Scott!
Interesting topic, especially since I'm on the wait list for an MFC and will likely go with 4 expression pedals as well. My concern with the staggered pedals is "fat footing" the adjacent pedal(s). I think the spacing you have with the 3 pedal setup looks good. With that in mind, how about getting a smaller PedalTrain board for just the expression pedals and leave the MFC freestanding? This would essentially give you 2 smaller boards which would be easier to transport (and shlep to and from the stage). You could number or color code the connections for quick hookups.

Last edited:
Hey Scott!
Interesting topic, especially since I'm on the wait list for an MFC and will likely go with 4 expression pedals as well. My concern with the staggered pedals is "fat footing" the adjacent pedal(s). I think the spacing you have with the 3 pedal setup looks good. With that in mind, how about getting a smaller PedalTrain board for just the expression pedals and leave the MFC freestanding? This would essentially give you 2 smaller boards which would be easier to transport (and shlep to and from the stage). You could number or color code the connections for quick hookups.

It's a good idea; and I did it (in a way) for a while in a way with the pedalpad or whatever it was called that connected to the pedaltrain but was flat. (Back when I had two expression pedals).

But I am fixed on only running one cable; the key has been/is/will be quick setup and teardown and wiring up the pedalboard every gig is not something I want to do.

I'm pretty convinced I am going to order a Mission XPB and roll with that in lieu of a fourth expression pedal at this point; I'll assign that to reverb and move the wet/dry mix on the delay over to the third pedal. I essentially get into the room, set the reverb to the venue and leave it for the entire gig. So... that's my current plan anyway. ;)

Mission TT on left. Gives me expression control via knob and 2 extra switches. Mission Stealths on the right. I would have needed a larger board if I went the 3rd pedal route. This keeps it compact.

475F3BC8-9ED8-4FED-86DA-5383FBC638DB-3499-000002B2833E75C7_zps7b93dc68.jpg

Mission TT on left. Gives me expression control via knob and 2 extra switches. Mission Stealths on the right. I would have needed a larger board if I went the 3rd pedal route. This keeps it compact.

475F3BC8-9ED8-4FED-86DA-5383FBC638DB-3499-000002B2833E75C7_zps7b93dc68.jpg

Joshuab, that looks pretty good.

How do you find adjusting the rotary pot on the TT Pro with your foot? It looks like that might be awkward, given it's set back behind the switches.

What pedal board are you using?

Terry.

It's a good idea; and I did it (in a way) for a while in a way with the pedalpad or whatever it was called that connected to the pedaltrain but was flat. (Back when I had two expression pedals).

But I am fixed on only running one cable; the key has been/is/will be quick setup and teardown and wiring up the pedalboard every gig is not something I want to do.

I'm pretty convinced I am going to order a Mission XPB and roll with that in lieu of a fourth expression pedal at this point; I'll assign that to reverb and move the wet/dry mix on the delay over to the third pedal. I essentially get into the room, set the reverb to the venue and leave it for the entire gig. So... that's my current plan anyway. ;)

Another hairbrained idea I had for anyone that wants to do a separate board for the expression pedals, but wants a quick-connect option: Planet Waves Modular Snake TRS Breakout

This is a "Breakout Cable", part of a modular system intended to be used in conjunction with a "Core Cable", but since the distance is short, you could just connect 2 of these together via a DB25 Male to Male Adapter. The cost would be just under $70 for this convenience.

edit: In case you wanted to use 90 degree connectors or some other type, here's a DIY option: Planet Waves 8x Connector-Free Breakout Cable

Last edited:
Big fan of using exp pedal to control amount of drive/gain in amp model...but i tend to find when playing live it inevitably ends up full on, pedal to the metal! :)

Great ideas Scott.

***Update***

At long last, the board is fully realized and running fine. I've gigged it twice now with this setup and I dig it.

Instead of another expression pedal, I added a Mission Engineering XPB-R to the board; it is assigned the task of my delay wet/dry mix only and it's worked out really well for me overall.

I'm happy. Thought it would be tricky to turn up and down with my toe; turns out that I do it far less than I thought I might and it's really not that hard.

Thanks to all for the input and tips - worked out great! Cool!

Left expression pedal (black one):

1. Toe down switch turns the wah on/off - then it's a Wah pedal. Toe down switch and it's off.
  2. When Drive block is engaged - it controls the amount of gain/drive in the Drive block
  3. When the PEQ block is engaged - it controls the amount of output level from +1db to +6db. (Note: I have the PEQ configured as a dynamic custom preamp boost).
  4. When the Rotary Block is engaged, it controls the upper horn rotor speed

Can you explain how you do this? Will the drive expression function automatically switch off when you hit rotary (at the same time as drive) for example? or is that only when you use one effect at a time (so switching of the drive IA when engaging the rotary IA) ?

And one more question: which Mission do you you prefer de SP-1 or SP-2? Thinking of buying a Mission but not sure which one to buy. What is the benefit of the SP-2 over the SP-1?

Last edited:
I know it's lots to ask Scott, but could you give us a 1 min youtube vid on how you use the XPB-R. For me it looks really small and hard to control. I suspect I am missing something and maybe a quick video will enlighten us all.

Thanks!!

***Update***

At long last, the board is fully realized and running fine. I've gigged it twice now with this setup and I dig it.

Instead of another expression pedal, I added a Mission Engineering XPB-R to the board; it is assigned the task of my delay wet/dry mix only and it's worked out really well for me overall.

I'm happy. Thought it would be tricky to turn up and down with my toe; turns out that I do it far less than I thought I might and it's really not that hard.

Thanks to all for the input and tips - worked out great! Cool!

Can you explain how you do this? Will the drive expression function automatically switch off when you hit rotary (at the same time as drive) for example? or is that only when you use one effect at a time (so switching of the drive IA when engaging the rotary IA) ?

And one more question: which Mission do you you prefer de SP-1 or SP-2? Thinking of buying a Mission but not sure which one to buy. What is the benefit of the SP-2 over the SP-1?

I only usually use one function of the pedal at a time; because I don't really use many effects at once. But, and it's a big but, I setup my board and the functions of the expression pedals to all do multiple things at once because it is wickedly fun and powerful to control them all at once for specific things. Case in point, the wah with controlling the PEQ boost and/or Drive pedal output levels at once is a dramatic way to do solos at the end of the solo or end of a song for instance. You can't do this with a regular guitar rig; and I don't rely on using it often enough to make it irritating to the band/audience. But if I do go for what I call combined 'madness' at the end of a solo... man it's freaking cool.

I use SP-1 expression pedals. I do not even know what a SP-2 is or offers. "Go for what you know" is one of my operating credos. I know the SP-1 does what I want.

I know it's lots to ask Scott, but could you give us a 1 min youtube vid on how you use the XPB-R. For me it looks really small and hard to control. I suspect I am missing something and maybe a quick video will enlighten us all.

Thanks!!

Yes. "Soon". ;) (*Though, I do mean it). :D

I've been running my rig with three Mission Engineering expression pedals for a long time - years. Extremely powerful, crazy intuitive (to me) way to control a LOT of things in real time, on the fly and allows for all sorts of OCD madness in terms of details, dealing with different rooms, creating various sonic timbres and so on.

But... I have been wanting to run one more pedal to break up one specific thing - my delay wet/dry mix - from my existing setup. So the question was... can I fit 4 on the board? Do I want to carry it?

The biggest heaviest aspect of my rig is the pedalboard - it's manageable, but it's unwieldy. My board is all mounted with velcro to a Pedaltrain Pro; I use the padded soft cover (I do not do fly dates and my gear either goes with me in the car or in the van/trailer with the rest of the band's gear/PA stuff. I just carry it with my cart... or lug it. No biggie.

But man, I've wanted to try this... so here we go.

I'll do a video once I get into this and explore different ways to divide up the added versatility that makes sense.

Should be fun!

Old board:

So what do I have the expression pedals do now?

I'll go left to right.

Left expression pedal (black one):

1. Toe down switch turns the wah on/off - then it's a Wah pedal. Toe down switch and it's off.
  2. When Drive block is engaged - it controls the amount of gain/drive in the Drive block
  3. When the PEQ block is engaged - it controls the amount of output level from +1db to +6db. (Note: I have the PEQ configured as a dynamic custom preamp boost).
  4. When the Rotary Block is engaged, it controls the upper horn rotor speed

Middle expression pedal (green one): (switch not currently being employed for any purpose):

1. Controls wet/dry mix for: Tremolo; Rotary: Delay; Phaser; Chorus; Flanger; and Pitch. In essence, this pedal is my 'effects' mixer. I can mix in whatever amount of wet effect I want at any time and dynamically change it on the fly. (*Note: the range of wet/dry is different for each effect block based on my preferences and taste. That's saved per preset.)

Right expression pedal (white one):

1. Reverb wet/dry mix - dynamically control on the fly independant of other effects
  2. When the Delay block is engaged, controls the Delay feedback from short to long
  3. When toe switch is engaged, it is a Volume pedal.

New layout:

I might do it this way or separate the pedals a bit by putting two on the left and two on the right of the MFC-101... but we'll see.

I want the delay wet/dry broken out and have some other ideas. I'll post up the results and do a demo video soon.

This is the fun stuff.

You could go for five, by using a Boss as input volume control before your signal goes into the Axe...

You could go for five, by using a Boss as input volume control before your signal goes into the Axe...

I do not like or use volume pedals preceding the signal chain. If and when I use a volume pedal, I prefer it where I have it in my signal chain and already have one assigned. And you can only have 4 expression pedals with the MFC. ;)

Back
Top Bottom