Oil Can Delay

Jbmetal

Inspired
Hey, guys.

I've been messing around with this patch for a bit and got it sounding pretty cool, so I'd thought I'd share it. It's meant to emulate the sound of an oil can delay. These delays are very warm, warbly, and just a yummy, gooey mess. I made a recording showcasing a couple different sounds: first a more appropriate slapback sound with some blues, then upping the feedback and time to get a more ambient sound.

A couple of notes before you dive in; I have a few controllers setup within the delay:
  • Ex 2 - attached to Motor Speed in the delay so I can switch between a slapback-type sound and a longer delay to fill space.
  • Ex 3 - attached to Feedback in delay. I am using a switch on my midi controller for this, so I can just switch back and forth between short and long delays.
  • ADSR 1 - attached to the LFO rate and depth in the MOD 1 page of the delay. This is so that when you first play, the 'warble' is more pronounced on the initial delay, but it becomes less pronounced as it continues. I found that the warble was just too much to just set it and leave it, but this creates a good middle ground. So just adjust your ADSR 1 and the curve on the mod controls to your liking.
Let me know how you guys like it and post some recordings. Share your changes too if you find something you like better! Preset was made on a Mk II, but I included the AX8 preset as well.

Attachments

• Oil Can Delay.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Oil Can Delay(AX8).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Cool! Sounds very good and useful but maybe a bit too 'neat' for an oil can delay (?).

I guess you know this pedal which sounds very good I think:

I like that tone in the beginning. Very Tarantino-y. Haha.

But you think the repeats are a little too clean?

Not too clean but it has a bit of a ambient vibe and less the analog/spring/surf vibe than the Catalinbread or a real oil can. Sounds very nice and I love it any way!

Back
Top Bottom