Oh dear, I'm GASing again....

KittyForHire

Inspired
So, summer has arrived, and a nice annual bonus along with it. Now with some surplus cash on my account, the dreaded GAS is rearing it's ugly head again :)

Good thing is, it's not an amp or some occult pedal I'm GASing for, but a new guitar. I've always wanted to check out the Music Man guitars, and the MM JPX6 has caught my eye in particular. So, I'm wondering if anyone around here has one or has tried one, and what are your thoughts on it? With the guitars I already have I feel I'm pretty well covered for cleans and mid-gain (altho I suppose the piezo on the JPX6 would give a different flavor of cleans as well), but I'd like a guitar that's more suited for high-gain as well.

Since the local music store around here doesn't carry these on stock, I won't have the opportunity to try it out before I eventually buy; so any input would be appreciated :)

I've sold millions of dollars worth of guitars in my time. Because of that, I've played everything. I used to own a JP when it first came out. The neck is on par with Anderson, Suhr etc but much thinner and short scale. Easily one of the fastest necks ever designed for my hands. Musicman in general is absolutely top notch build, fit and finish with top shelf ingredients. Can't go wrong with their product. Just have to match the guitar personality wise.

Music Mans are the stuff! I prefer the fast Ibanez 17mm wizard necks. But, Jpmms are a very close second. Killer sustain. Budget for BKPs to really get them to sing.

Music Man guitars are sooooo good.

I've sold millions of dollars worth of guitars in my time. Because of that, I've played everything. I used to own a JP when it first came out. The neck is on par with Anderson, Suhr etc but much thinner and short scale. Easily one of the fastest necks ever designed for my hands. Musicman in general is absolutely top notch build, fit and finish with top shelf ingredients. Can't go wrong with their product. Just have to match the guitar personality wise.

Ooo, I like the sound of that :) Heading down to Dublin tomorrow for my holidays, I should be able to find a store there that has one I can try out.

Thanks everyone!

You'll love it. I love mine. I have a JPX with a Roasted Birdseye Maple neck. Its a joy to play. Some may think of it as a metal guitar but there really are lots of tones in that guitar surprisingly.

i've been using MM JPs for 6+ years now, best playing guitars i've ever used. the piezo option is amazing too.

FWIW, heard nothing but incredible things about the MM axes. Never spent much quality time with one, but I hope to.

I had a JP and I would have loved it more if the pups were not voiced for a Mesa an the neck not so thin like an Ibanez wizard. Killer build tho. Really wish I could have kept it to try with the A2.............. can't keep em all.

I have a JPX 6. the one and only MM I have ever tried, so I can't say how good it is comparatively to the others in the series, but its good.

Common complaints are:
-the the position of the 5 way switch
-the existence of the 5 way switch
- pickups are not to taste (change them and keep the guitar?)

I love how well this guitar holds tune, but I guess all the JP series would be like that.

the only pitfall for me is the floating trem, which puts me off playing certain licks involving bending a string and picking another at the same time (so yes, the guitar has affected my style of playing to a more shred-like character, but unfortunately I can't shred:ambivalence:).

My Luke's (I & II) I'll never sell. I plan on adding a Luke III ASAP. I like a lot of other guitars, but nothing comes close to the feel, sound and look of EBMM.

I have a plain JP6 and it is the most incredible guitar I've owned other than my prized Strat. The feel on the neck is amazing and the tones I can coak out of it are Pristine. Beautiful cleans to bone crunching metal and everything in between.

Reason I like the plain old version is because the neck is unfinished. Just wood which I prefer. No piezo, either. I love it.

Personally I was never comfortable playing my JP models without feeling like a JP fanboy. I'm GASing for an Axis Super Sport. The JP bridge is the best bridge out there though. :) Not the best guitar outside metal.

the MM JPX6 has caught my eye in particular. So, I'm wondering if anyone around here has one or has tried one, and what are your thoughts on it? With the guitars I already have I feel I'm pretty well covered for cleans and mid-gain (altho I suppose the piezo on the JPX6 would give a different flavor of cleans as well)

I picked up a used one seven months ago every time I open case - and I do mean every time - I just go, "Well hello baby!"

Bought it completely blind and had never touched one before, but absolutely love it like no guitar I've ever owned.

Stunning instrument and the piezo is a fantastic bonus :encouragement:

I can kinda get the 'JP fanboy' thoughts, but couldn't really care less... and there's not too much of a likeness going on here:

Back
Top Bottom