Official Axe 2 High Gain STicky-Thread Request

My suggestion is for the ones that consider themselves to be stakeholders in this quest to collaborate on building a preset that matches the particular requirements. Use this thread as the basis for the ongoing progress and post the the list of preset(s) in the first post. It will take longer but the process will unearth a wealth of knowledge for all that participate.

I am not a metal player (nor listener unless Dream Theater is considered metal in the context of this thread) but one thing to try that has worked very well for me is PEQ in front of and after the amp block.

Attached is a preset that I worked on a bit this morning. I am not saying its a good metal preset but it does have a lot of variation built in simply by manipulating the PEQ before any distortion occurs and the PEQ after the amp block.

This is my standard template that I use for all of my presets. Points of interest:

1. Cab is OwnHammer_412_Mesa_V30-2_Mix-n-Match_3 (only because that is my current go to cab)
2. Reverb and Delay are set to accept Input Gain from External 7 Expression pedal
3. Gate is balanced to my guitar and environment (Suhr Custom)
4. I tweaked the Amp parms a lot mostly in an attempt to get a sharp and quick response with minimal "hair". Not sure I was successful but there it is.

Overall, I mainly balanced it to a back track I had that was labelled as Metal using headphones so take with a grain of salt.

What I find most interesting is the flexibility and tonal response range that the pre and post amp PEQs present.

Attachments

• ! - Metal 2.syx
    2 KB · Views: 25
I will gladly post my attempts at metal patches.....once I get a unit which do to some fuzzy math and the wait list looks like 2.5months for me. See you in a few.

Hello, as the title says I would love for FAS to make high gain discussion for the axe 2 a sticky. I have seen a common theme among high gainer lovers asking for patches, ideas, clips but they are buried among other threads, and perhaps even annoying to the 1927 tweed covered, slightly torn, weathered boutique lovers;)

So in an effort to keep us crazy gain heads from popping up all over the board, and in an effort for us to communicate and share ideas better with each other, once again I make this request, give us a little corner of the site off to ourselves for this part of the discussion. (I certainly wouldnt mind if there were threads for sad and troubled blues twangers, rusty socketed boutique freaks, country sliders, or even the 2 bass players out there!):mrgreen:):razz:idea

+1!

I too am in for the hi gain stuff... (not only the hi gain,) but i would for sure love to hear some hi gain clip if possible! thanx a million!

Yeah, a sticky would be cool. I've been coming here since I bought my Ultra -late 2010- and it's amazing how cool this place can be ((In certain areas of the forum)) Then how goofy it can be when someone posts a Death Metal or heavier styled clip, and non-Metal guys start their talk.

We made a site just for Metal heads and Axe Fx users Standards thru Axe II. Stop by and join if you like, we plan on talking Metal 24/7 and I'll have a few TOURING Buds stop in from time to time too. Click my sig!

Joining your forum Gorilla!

My main interest in the Axe FX is for high gain sounds, every other amp modeling product I've tried is always way to fizzy and doesn't respond properly to dynamics and certain techniques. I was going to buy a Pod HD but figured I might aswell go all out and buy an Axe II, why compromise.

In response to Sammetal91 Why does my stomach hurt in the morning?

I will answer that for Symphx as i am an internist by day and 40 year old metal shred head by night. It is likley you have GERD or Esophago Gastro Reflux which basically means your likely overeating close to bedtime, eating acid trigger foods, or lying flat too close to bedtime or none of the above and your just unlucky. Basically stomach acid iritates your esophagous. Take OTC Prilosec 20mg or Prevacid 15 mg x 2 weeks. If this still occurs you may need an H Pylori antibody blood test but you will need your own PCP to work you up. Without a true history and exam this would be my best guess. Hope this helps you out Dude!

Last edited:
So let me start by apologizing for not being able to make and clips at the moment - sorry. =(

That said, Scott wasn't lying about how easy it is to dial in decent tone on the II. I've had mine plugged in for about an hour and some of the presets I've come up with already sound better than their Ultra counterparts. The Uberschall, Recto, VH4, and PowerBall models all sound pretty awesome using nothing outside of the basic settings. Having the RedWire & OwnHammer IRs in there is pretty awesome too; my three main IRs are now stock.

In response to Sammetal91 Why does my stomach hurt in the morning?

I will answer that for Symphx as i am an internist by day and 40 year old metal shred head by night. It is likley you have GERD or Esophago Gastro Reflux which basically means your likely overeating close to bedtime, eating acid trigger foods, or lying flat too close to bedtime or none of the above and your just unlucky. Basically stomach acid iritates your esophagous. Take OTC Prilosec 20mg or Prevacid 15 mg x 2 weeks. If this still occurs you may need an H Pylori antibody blood test but you will need your own PCP to work you up. Without a true history and exam this would be my best guess. Hope this helps you out Dude!

WARNING: THREAD DERAILMENT

thanks for the response my metal doctor brotha! Well I went to a gastroenterologist today and the good news is that I don't have colon cancer and my blood and stool work is healthy and my intestines are normal. The bad news is I still gotta get probed. They're thinking IBS with a hemarroid. Hopefully its IBS and not IBD.

So let me start by apologizing for not being able to make and clips at the moment - sorry. =(

That said, Scott wasn't lying about how easy it is to dial in decent tone on the II. I've had mine plugged in for about an hour and some of the presets I've come up with already sound better than their Ultra counterparts. The Uberschall, Recto, VH4, and PowerBall models all sound pretty awesome using nothing outside of the basic settings. Having the RedWire & OwnHammer IRs in there is pretty awesome too; my three main IRs are now stock.

Apology accepted :razz
Agh stop giving me gas! I don't have money! I'm almost broke :lol

Bejezus Sam, that doesn't sound like much fun.

Nope not at all. That is not metal or high gain :lol
I can cope with it. Just not looking forward to getting probed. :lol
Nothing serious and I'll be a happy metalhead. Still won't fix my inability to write a whole song though :lol

Back
Top Bottom